180° tstat

Dan B

How's it working out? Sounds like a good way to mitigate higher temps from EGR removal..

Dan B

Have read enough, mostly on the turbo Buick boards that 160 is just too cold.. oil doesn't burn off contaminates etc, so I figure 180 is a good compromise between 160 and factory 195° likely Designed for emissions & mpg.. nothing scientific & I know most swear by 160

Have read enough, mostly on the turbo Buick boards that 160 is just too cold.. oil doesn't burn off contaminates etc, so I figure 180 is a good compromise between 160 and factory 195° likely Designed for emissions & mpg.. nothing scientific & I know most swear by 160

Dan I know this is a annoying request, but can you keep this post updated, I'd like to know how you like running the 180? If thats what you go with? I took my Sy's water pump off and I decided to clean it up and leave it alone, for now. I would like to replace the thermostat before putting it back on, with something a little nicer. Like you, I've been cut between the couple options we have.

Goodgollyjosh

I ran a 160 degree for a few months, it started running warm in stop and go traffic on a 100 degree day (3/4 of the way up gauge). I have an aluminum radiator and two electric fans. I had considered the old tale about "over circulating". Not sure what transpired but I have since put a 180 T-stat back in, the highest the gauge has gotten is half way with AC on. My co-worker who also has a Syclone had told me to avoid Stant T-stats because they don't modulate exactly right. I went with a performance 180, not sure of brand.

I ran a 160 degree for a few months, it started running warm in stop and go traffic on a 100 degree day (3/4 of the way up gauge). I have an aluminum radiator and two electric fans. I had considered the old tale about "over circulating". Not sure what transpired but I have since put a 180 T-stat back in, the highest the gauge has gotten is half way with AC on. My co-worker who also has a Syclone had told me to avoid Stant T-stats because they don't modulate exactly right. I went with a performance 180, not sure of brand.

Thats really interesting, thank you again for your input. Seems like a 180 is the way to go, but I guess it also depends on each application.

Goodgollyjosh

I am attaching a quote from an email from my buddy at work that has the Syclone just to clarify about the Stant T-stat and 160 T-stat usage.

"Careful with the 160 thermostat, although I'm running a new stock radiator and severe duty clutch fan with an aftermarket water pump (not a better setup like you have), the truck will eventually begin to run hotter than "normal". Especially after making two 1/4 mile passes. At some point the thermostat opens, and stays that way causing temps to slowly creep up. I ran into this with my S10 and "upgraded" the radiator and water pump, and even tried electric fans, then went back to a clutch fan. It turns out that "superstats" that Stant sells have a metering valve rather than just open and shut like OE thermostats. This for whatever reason causes unstable temps that creep up. I tried a 160, a 180, and now I went back to an OE 195 stat, and my temps actually dropped. Better yet they stay that way, even with AC running on high in traffic. I realize this wasn't on the Syclone, but, I have experienced the truck getting so hot that it pops and bangs. And when I opened the hood after that 2nd run, I had to step back cause of the heat. After that I changed my oil for good measure (went to a 10W40), and my plan is to put a 195 OE stat back in the truck. Craziest part is that the factory gauge never indicated that I was overheating, the needle was actually under 180! No steam, plenty of fluid in the reservoir, no leaks, just a stupid hot vehicle. Needless to say, like you, I don't trust it. I think Texas heat just sucks, and is very hard to deal with, especially on turbo'd vehicles. I'm not recommending you go with the 195, but I do recommend a thermostat that doesn't meter flow. Since you can control when your fans come on, you are better equipped to run a cooler stat."

gmemony2

Any idea what part number for a good 180 thermostat? Does it matter? The non-stant version. Thx

Goodgollyjosh

I'm running the motor rad 2000-180 hi po thermostat. No issues so far. Although I'm a little new to the syty scene. Maybe one of the old timers can chime in and recommend something.

Any idea what part number for a good 180 thermostat? Does it matter? The non-stant version. Thx

Installed a thermostat from MotoRad Part number 5200-18045358.

Although my truck is down currently, its not in relation to this thermostat, (Turbocharger) and I hadn't had an issue with it while dailying the Sy.