Auto X at Carlisle

SYO237

SyTy Registry
Re: Auto X at Carlisle

As the unofficial camera person documenting this event, I will need to ride shotgun with someone to capture a run on video. Preferably someone with speed and experience. :lol:

If someone wants to trust me with their truck (no plans to bring mine), I will gladly offer up my services behind the wheel in this area.

:tup:

DaveP

Looking at the layout, there isn't much typical auto-x course stuff available other than a bunch of chicanes and perhaps a couple of very low speed 180's in the wide spots. I had a thought:

SyTy's are AWD. Put a few cones and turns out in the grass. Kick this shit up a notch :grin:.

Mingus

Looking at the layout, there isn't much typical auto-x course stuff available other than a bunch of chicanes and perhaps a couple of very low speed 180's in the wide spots. I had a thought:

SyTy's are AWD. Put a few cones and turns out in the grass. Kick this shit up a notch :grin:.

Now you're talking. :)
I did a few rallycrosses when I owned an Eagle Talon. Pretty fun stuff.

sytyguy

Moderated User

LOL. That would be fun. Sadly the WOT, sideways, transition from grass to asphalt would likely result many high pitched metallic snapping sounds. :lol:

In all seriousness, this layout does provide some unique challenges, but I'll have us a fun course laid out for sure. I can already see a tight and technical course which is what we need anyways to separate the men from the boys and prevent too many high speed (meaning heavy braking) sections. I'll have a course layout for public consumption soon I hope.

neildemo

Administrator

looking for that Clip with such a rollover happend at a Autox BMFB. This is Nearby I am planning on Attending. Now just to find a syty that doesnt leak something :)

DaveP

I'll have a course layout for public consumption soon I hope.

Mike: The sooner the better, I think.

I have a feeling this auto-x element adds a new dimension of attraction for attending this event for many potential attendees. I know it does for me. Your impromptu off-the-cuff set up in the parking lot at BG-13 was the high-point of that event for me. I had a blast.

I've already looked at a Streets and Maps for this trip. If gas stays reasonably priced, and I still own a Sy capable of doing this trip, I'm contemplating doing this.

In consideration of the cancellation of Nats15, this event has the potential to take its place for the year. The Auto-X is a BIG part of it. Based on what I've seen at the last two BG Auto-X's, you and Adam are up to the task. Let me know if there is anything I can do from 2,500 miles away.

:tup:

sytyguy

Moderated User

Thanks for the kind words, Dave. I know for years our events focused on the show-n-shine and drag racing aspect, but it has been a breath of fresh air to have autocross incorporated in my opinion. We did the first SyTy one in 2006 and have enjoyed everyone of them since. The fun element is immeasurable and since most of us aren't great racing drivers, it's nice to see how we all progress as the racing goes on. For all but the fastest of us, drag racing is a situation where we're just along for the ride after the 60' and autocross allows for racing with much more driver involvement. But I digress....

I am hoping with the size of the course (it should be plainly obvious that it's going to be one car on course per run and probably figure 8 around the "infield crossover") that we will be able to handle cone shagging with 2-3 people max without putting anyone in harms way. I will plan for worker stations to be placed in the slalom & chicago box sections of the course with workers off-course instead of on the infield. These sections see the highest cone count typically and will make cone downtime non-existent.

Knowing that, I hope to have a couple of volunteers who will shag cones, allowing everyone who is running to just race. I doubt we'll exceed 20 drivers (but hope we do), so it would be cumbersome to break it into a driver/working group. Most of this will be hashed out on the fly once we're there but if we could make it pure racing with no worker swaps, I think the event would be better for it. Now, what to do for the masochistic souls that volunteer to work cones. I know Adam has offered a reward in the way of dressing up as Winnie the Pooh (wearing only a shirt and a smile), but I don't know if that's enough. :rotf:

gary sy

Hey Hood any up dates on the auto x ? Is there a sigh up and what do we need to participate,do we need helmets? Thanx. ��

mattw

What kind of helmet is needed? Is and ATV helmet OK? Is a open-face helmet OK??

ziembic

Donating Member

AutoX is usually Snell rated. I am not sure about this one, but any auto X I have been to, it has been cool to be open face (all the loaners were) unless you were in an open air vehicle (shifter cart/indy car/FF2000)

gary sy

Do you Still need pcs of drywall and do you want us to bring small plug in pancake style compressor ?