body shops/guys in our area that aren't going to f*** me worse then i was already

conlyn

As the few who have come into contact with my typhoon #1985 know, it had horrible rust above the back window and in a few other places, including under the front fenders, which was to the point the cladding needed to get taped on after a while.

Back near the end of july, thinking it be better to spend 200$ on a set of fenders then 300$ for a single new fender arch, i bought a set of fenders off of ebay, and they were volunteered to be to be installed by a 'friend' of mine who'se parents own a body shop. Where after he got it there he decided to walk around it tapping on the rust with the screw driver and convinced me (and i guess himself) that it would be a good time to clean up and bondo over the back window (i still plan on getting another whole body at one time, so the bondo was only supposed to be a fix for the next year or two) along with other various parts that had problems, just to put another coat of white paint on it and have it back together for the the once 'upcomming' GAST meet.

Flash forward two months, i went over there for the first time in about a month (just recently had my appendix removed, so was out of commision for a while) two nights ago to find out his dad had gotten pissed at his son and pushed my truck out of "HIS SHOP" exposed with half finished bondo and bare-metal exposed, pretty much at this point i decided to just finally say screw it, 2 months of "it'll be done in 2-3 days max" take my truck bad into my possision and now i'm looking at having to borrow atleast 1k-3k to have a body shop finish less then half done work and repaint and assemble my once beautiful truck.

Had i had any idea on the kind of shit i was going to end up going through, i would have put the freaking fenders on by my self and left the back rusting away for the time being...
i am in awe as to how bad i managed to get myself screwed over. I have all intents of suing them in small claims court, but this is my only vechile and i don't even have a daily driver so i'm in a really tight situation, so i'm looking for the community to maybe help me find a shop/guy that will work with me so i can actally keep my truck.

I live in Northern cerntal florida, a bit out side of gainesville, but i'm going to try and get ahold of a car hauler from my previous employer, so if you personally know anyone that you know would work with me, my grandmother has already said she would help me out on the cost (borrowed 2k from her to buy the truck in part, so i feel horrible doing it again even if i did already pay her what i owed)

i'm going to have some pictures up tonight or tommaro (for court and estimates), but don't laugh too much, i feel horrible for letting it happen to a syty. Hood, if this keeps going further and further down hill, you can tell Scott he can come and pick his truck back up, i love these enough that i'd rather GIVE it to someone who can afford to have it done right then let it sit in my yard and rott more then it already has.

QUICK STORM

B.A.M.F. BMW Tech
Re: body shops/guys in our area that aren't going to f*** me worse then i was already

bummer, sorry dude.

NecroWolf

lost marbles member
Re: body shops/guys in our area that aren't going to f*** me worse then i was already

damn man that rough, sux to have "friends" like that

conlyn

That said, it only takes one bridge to burn. :tdown:

here's the damage

I think the first step is going to involve me sanding, resanding, all the surface rust and laying a thick coat of rust killing primer, i'm going to try to do that tonight.

I really need some help on locating a bodyshop guys, after going through what i did, i'm hardly about to trust another yo-ho local body shop with my ty. If at all possible i could really use a favor to put me on touch with someone, i'm really reaching out here...
If i do end up seeing it as the best option to get rid of, i'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather let it go back into the community where i know it will stay whole, then do the money grubbing thing and stick it on ebay parted out, but i really honestly can't foresee the next few days/weeks. i'm just now getting my head back on my shoulders, and it's all in the air right now.

blk00z28

Forced to by choice

heh.. lol... I'll be the first to say you can *give* it right here Conlyn :lol:

I'll ask my local auto store owner who I'm kinda friends with about who does good body work around here (seeing that you are somewhat local to me too..) He just had his 69 Z28 he's restoring done somewhere. If he trusted them to do that they might be good. Dont know about on the $$$ though. :dunno:

I'l check into it for you though and get back to you. ;)

conlyn

please do that, i plan on having it well documented enough that a shop would be able to give me a quote for atleast finish repairing the roof and set it in primer where i'm not out a vechile, the number one concern...

I've been considering a few other options as well, and if worse came to worse, i'd have to doing something drastic like having a lien put on my truck or selling or trading off my cladding in order to furnish a BLAZER body and have it topped on the frame, it's going to have tp happen within the next 5 years for the truck anyway, and i know i could redo the inside and electric, it's just the body work i really have no experince doing in a manor i would attempt to do something to my truck...

i have my tax return which i never cashed of roughly 600$ to put down on the work, and like i said i have some means of borrowing the rest, but i'm really desperate as to getting my back on the road so i can finish school and put myself to work once more, this really could not have happened at a more inoppertune momment, and the worse part, i thought it had it almost ready for paint only 3 weeks into it... i just hope i have it back together within the next 2 months, it's really bad to see such a strong running truck sitting and rotting a little at a time. I just wish i could figure out where to bring it and start the rebuilding process.

And believe me Tim, if it came down to it, it would go back to someone like you who's as in love with these trucks as i am, i've only ever met a handfull of you guys, but that's all it really took to understand there's people out there with their heart in the same place as mine, it's just too bad my wallet isn't where it should be at this point in my life, be it not for my youthful inexperince i wouldn't be sitting in the position i'm in, i would have simply done the relative original work outright and would still by enjoying my 192k ride that i miss so very very much.

i have about a 50/50 chance i'll be able to borrow a car hauler anytime i need it, but it's going to be finding a shop that is trusted, and hopefully someone can pull a favor or something where i'm not going to get charged more then my truck originally costed...

but like i said, please do so, i have the ability to have some funds put down to get it started, i really really can't say how much it would mean for me to be able to keep #1985(my birth year) and not have to end up looking all over in another few years because i honestly don't want any other vechile in the world, but these next days are going to be able need, and that's what scares me with the choices i have to make.

conlyn

Well if the cards play out good i might actually manage to afford to keep it and have it done right, within the next few days i'm going to be headed over to the gulf coast for a long while of hurricane clean-up and sleeping in a camper. The pay should be great and i hope to have atleast 500$ a week to put away on my Ty so i can actually do a real frame-off and have it all done while i'm away ( i'm going to comeback after the first month to transport it where ever it needs to go, 2-3k to drop in hand).

Right now, i need you guys in the area to atleast give me some contact points at a worthwhlie body shop in the fl/ga area, as if i do actually dump somewhere like 6-8k in a frame off, there's no way i'm doing it anywhere but a well known and respected body shop that will worth with me weekly on the progress and the steps going into the build up.

For now my biggest concern is finding a good blazer carcus, i can spend like 400-600 off the bat for a good shell and have a shop start with refinishing the work on it. I think for now i'm going to keep the draintrain mostly as it is other then simply replacing all the way over worn out bushings, mounts and various other go bad parts and just having the frame sandblasted and sprayed with bedliner.

Hood, when it comes down to getting any mechanical parts i'm going to hunt you down, but i'd like to know if you have any references in the body working field, i'm hard pressed to trust anyone at this point.

conlyn

This is the first time i've checked this thread since being here in lake charles, LA for two weeks... Not a single ****ing reference since, What gives?

I'm about 2 paychecks in and have another 2 weeks before i come back to fl the first time, i need to have somewhere i can bring my truck and start funneling money to but i live in a rather rural area and there isn't any shops around i'm going to trust my truck to after what i went through.

And, Tim if you could atleast get me the phone/email of that shop so i can atleast look into it it would be very much helpful.

I've come across 3-4 bodies but due to leaving the state haven't had a chance to view any.
and i'm still up in the air as to either or not the cab that's on it is staying.

tealty

There's a really good body/paint shop in saint pete. I can't remember the name of it, but i was gonna have my ty repainted there. They arent cheap, but they do quality work. I saw pics of a totalled limo that they straightened out to look brand new. And theyre no strangers to syty's....i know they painted a few ty's. I just cant remember the name. I think it was something like Southern Auto Body and Paint.
later
Jordan

blk00z28

Forced to by choice

Oh shit, sorry dude. I totaly forgot about this thread.
icon_frown.gif

I just called my buddy up.

Call this number and ask for a Jeff Anderson.
407-696-2992

I wanna say he said wintersprings.. (dont quote me on that though!)

Said he's really good, $$, but good. He'll take his time and do it right and it will be very good. He did my friends 69 Z28 and this car is worth over $100k. If he ask's who recomended you to him, tell him a guy by the name of Dave, owns Eustis Auto Parts.

ty1985

I picked up #1985 earlier this year. whatever ended up happening with the body work was NOT good for it lol

DaveP's Ghost

Is it the same #1985? There are two #1985. A 92 and a 93. From the description in the opening post, made in 2005 (16 years ago) of "rust so bad the cladding has to be taped on, and holes through rust with a screwdriver" I'm skeptical that such a rotted mess would still be around in 2021. Could your Ty be the other year from the one in the OP?

ty1985

His earlier posts about the truck claim it’s 1993 #1985, which is what mine is, white/white It’s had the front fenders replaced which is probably where the rot was requiring tape. The roof above the rear glass is completely ate up. I bought the truck from a coworker who owned it after OP