Canadian Dollar has tanked, good time to send Ty back to the US?

Norm

Donating Member
Re: Canadian Dollar has tanked, good time to send Ty back to the US?

You can't complain about getting 44% extra on your money. If you are thinking of selling now is a good time. They say the Canadian dollar might go down even more, so you will not lose. Just open up a U.S account.

Scalarrthu

The way I understand what the OP is asking is this:

With the dollars at par, selling his truck $20,000 usd would put $20,000 cdn in his account.
But with the current exchange rate, selling his truck for the same $20,000 usd would put nearly $30,000 cdn in his account.

If he's just selling the truck for the money and not looking to replace it with anything, then it would make a lot of sense.

Norm

Donating Member

With the dollars at par, selling his truck $20,000 usd would put $20,000 cdn in his account.
But with the current exchange rate, selling his truck for the same $20,000 usd would put nearly $30,000 cdn in his account.

If he's just selling the truck for the money and not looking to replace it with anything, then it would make a lot of sense.

correct. Pretty much the same way say you are thinking of buying a new vehicle right now. Find the price in the states and then find the price in Canada. You are getting a 40% discount. I know several people who are selling their snowbird homes in the states and enjoying the extra cash for retirement, cruises etc. I live close enough to the U.S border and their was a time that 30 cars a day were coming from the U.S into Canada. Now there is maybe 3 or so. Now going south to U.S buyers there is 20 or so.

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3

I would guess labor rates in Canada don't change or change in proportion to USD vs CAD. This still increase his buying power in CA. I would argue that the gains from a strong USD have been more than he has seen from the appreciation of his Typhoon.

I don't track every Typhoon price, but I agree it does seem like they are mostly flat. The high mileage/needs some TLC SyTy prices have been flat for a while. Lower mile seem like they have gone up a little since the bottom of the economy ~2009. I have noticed that low mile stock Syclone have noticeably increased the last few years. It seems that that Syclone price increase has coincide with them approaching the 25 year mark, a trend that I saw with the turbo Buicks as well. A mint sub 20K mile original Syclone seem to be pulling high 20's to $30k. [I know of collectors actually looking to buy them - not just going off auction price/FS ads] It wasn't that long ago that someone would be lucky to get $20k for the similar truck. Typhoons do not seem like they have gotten the same price bump. The NADA classic value also support this - 91 Syclone high retail is 27,200, 92 Ty - 17,900, 93 Ty = 18,900, I am not sure why Typhoon have not benefited from this. I know they made more Typhoon over two years, but they do have rarer combinations (colors, lower annual production numbers) and it seems that low mile example of Typhoons are rarer than Syclones as well. Collectors sometime will just go for the iconic model even if doesn't support the rarest hard to find example. (see 87 Buick GN vs any other turbo regal combination other than the GNX)

I don't know if the potential sellers 26k Typhoon is stock or near stock, but his truck could be near the top of the range, so he would benefit, especially if the price trend starts to follows the Syclone.

Ty One On

I don't know if the potential sellers 26k Typhoon is stock or near stock, but his truck could be near the top of the range, so he would benefit, especially if the price trend starts to follows the Syclone.[/QUOTE]

K & N filter that's it.

Marcel

I paid
11300 for a 2 owner documented 44k ty.