Chicago folks - Good route through area?

turbodig

Wondering if the Chi-Town guys have any advice on going through/around the Metro area?
Trying to avoid traffic and tolls as much as possible. Not opposed to driving a bit farther to get around things.
Don't want to get caught in some 3 hour traffic snarl/road construction.

Will be coming from the NW on 39.

Thanks!

Dig

TNPhoon

1of28
Re: Chicago folks - Good route through area?

Where would you be coming from and where would you be going to?

39 doesn't go to Chicago though. It runs north and south through the middle of the state.

Unless you're taking 39 to 90 at Rockford?

turbodig

Where would you be coming from and where would you be going to?

39 doesn't go to Chicago though. It runs north and south through the middle of the state.

Unless you're taking 39 to 90 at Rockford?

That's what I'm talking about, yes. We'll be sacking out in the Rockford area Thursday, quite likely.

I'd actually like to avoid the 90 corridor and most of Chicago altogether. I was thinking of 39 ->80 or 39->88.
Unless there's a better way around the south end....?

As far as the destination... Monroe MI. :)

TNPhoon

1of28

80 or 88...that wouldn't be bad other than the fact that it's a shit-run out of the way and it's boring as hell because there is nothing but corn fields.

Depending on what time you hit 90, it could take about 1/2 of the time to get through vs. the other two mentioned above. Unless 90 has changed, I remember it being a damn raceway for the most part. And the tolls are fun to me (except for how much they cost).

I usually never had an issue with 90 unless it was morning rush hour going into the city. If you leave Rockford at like 9am, you should be able to fly right through the tolls and downtown and be east of Chicago in no time.

You could do 90 to 294/80 if you wanted to just avoid the downtown area.

warmpancakes

dig your first beer or arnold palmer is on me when you get here been wanting to meet you for years

ty166

Donating Member

this is chicago , there is absolutly 100% positivly no way to avoid traffic.

Blazerspeed

I hate to say it, but what you're asking is damn near improbable unless you chose to take side streets. You're coming from the north, so your options will be limited.
I-294 toll road: Under construction but avoids metro Chicago
I-290 toll road: Under heavy construction to the point of Seppuku
I-355 partial Toll road: Construction between the Elgin/O'Hare and I-55

90 and 94 Partial Toll roads to the north: 94 merges with 294 near the Wisconsin boarder. If you stay on one or the other to where they merge to become 90/94 have fun depending on what time you're driving. This is the most direct route to get you to your destination, and has near zero tolls. The problem is, it takes you right through the dreaded "Circle interchange" in Chicago. If you are leaving early/late enough you can avoid all the traffic, zip through, jump on I-57 and take that to I-80. If not...be prepared to sit in traffic for a long time. Unless you want to take side streets through the Chicago neighborhoods (not bad if you follow the directions EXACTLY, you don't want to wind up in scenic downtown Lawndale)

Another option is I-355 to 55 to I-80 but that will take you all the way south to (near) Joliet, and 355 has a lot of tolls. If you want more info, let me know, but I suggest 90 to 90/94 to 57 to 80 to 80/90

EDIT: just looked at the map again, if you really wanted to avoid the Chicago traffic, stay on 39 all the way down to I-80 and just run that to Monroe Michigan. thing is I don't know what kind of road 39 stays as, but it picks up I-80 right at Starved Rock national park. Amazing scenery and roads are all over that area.

-Derek-

Last edited:

turbodig

I hate to say it, but what you're asking is damn near improbable unless you chose to take side streets. You're coming from the north, so your options will be limited.
I-294 toll road: Under construction but avoids metro Chicago
I-290 toll road: Under heavy construction to the point of Seppuku
I-355 partial Toll road: Construction between the Elgin/O'Hare and I-55

90 and 94 Partial Toll roads to the north: 94 merges with 294 near the Wisconsin boarder. If you stay on one or the other to where they merge to become 90/94 have fun depending on what time you're driving. This is the most direct route to get you to your destination, and has near zero tolls. The problem is, it takes you right through the dreaded "Circle interchange" in Chicago. If you are leaving early/late enough you can avoid all the traffic, zip through, jump on I-57 and take that to I-80. If not...be prepared to sit in traffic for a long time. Unless you want to take side streets through the Chicago neighborhoods (not bad if you follow the directions EXACTLY, you don't want to wind up in scenic downtown Lawndale)

Another option is I-355 to 55 to I-80 but that will take you all the way south to (near) Joliet, and 355 has a lot of tolls. If you want more info, let me know, but I suggest 90 to 90/94 to 57 to 80 to 80/90

EDIT: just looked at the map again, if you really wanted to avoid the Chicago traffic, stay on 39 all the way down to I-80 and just run that to Monroe Michigan. thing is I don't know what kind of road 39 stays as, but it picks up I-80 right at Starved Rock national park. Amazing scenery and roads are all over that area.

-Derek-

Thanks. I think we'll stick to 39/80, even though it's a bit longer, distance-wise. 39 is generally pretty open south of Rockford, or at least it has been in the past when I've gone there. State Troopers seem to like that stretch, though.

I'd be sorta tempted to try US 30, although I'm kinda worried I'd end up someplace where you'd need to shoot back. :)

I may do 39 to old US52 to 55 to 80, that looks like it'll shave some distance off.

Thanks for the advice!

turbodig

This doesn't look good:

------
Note to Indiana I-80/94 Travelers in the Gary Area: Beginning at 9:00 PM Monday through Friday, crews will restrict various lanes on the Frank Borman Expressway between Martin Luther King Drive and Central Avenue. Also, between midnight and 5:00 AM crews will close the roadway for up to 20 minutes at a time. Indiana State Police will be on hand to help direct traffic with the rolling closures. You may wish to verify your route on INDOT's Web site at Borman Expressway. For your safety, always obey local construction and detour signs.

craig jones

Formerly Scary Phoon

Wondering if the Chi-Town guys have any advice on going through/around the Metro area?
Trying to avoid traffic and tolls as much as possible. Not opposed to driving a bit farther to get around things.
Don't want to get caught in some 3 hour traffic snarl/road construction.

Will be coming from the NW on 39.

Thanks!

Dig

90 is not as bad as you think . 39 is gonna take you way out of the way. Plan so you are not going through rush hour and you will be all good .

SEL777

One of 101

90 will be find as long as it not between 6:30 and 8:30 am. That's why I'm leaving at 9:30.

craig jones

Formerly Scary Phoon

90 will be find as long as it not between 6:30 and 8:30 am. That's why I'm leaving at 9:30.

thinking arriving at around 2:30 pm ? I wasn't sure I wanted to leave that late but I dont want to be too early either and then again I dont want to hit chicago 6:30 - 8:30 rush . I may leave Rockford at 8 am

SEL777

One of 101

I'll be waiting for Eric at the Des Plaines Oaisis at 9:45 am

ty166

Donating Member

ill be pullin out of bobaks on archer by 10:00 am .

craig jones

Formerly Scary Phoon

we will be leaving Rockford at 7:30 thats the official dispatch

tydye

Banned

I hate to say it, but what you're asking is damn near improbable unless you chose to take side streets.

-Derek-

had to laugh at this, being from chicago myself, when i talk about "SIDE STREETS" people out here have no idea what that is ( or a fronchroom) heh lol. thx for the laugh.,