Engine Questions Once Again >.>

Goshinki

Found a guy to pull and put in an engine for $950

Found a 31000 Mile Typhoon engine for $1900

Labor so far sounds as good as you can get ... but what about the engine

Norm

Donating Member
Re: Engine Questions Once Again >.>

Do you know the history of where it is from? Price seems not to bad. Can you hear it running or is it already removed from vehicle? Did he do a compression test on it? Any guarantee or 30 day warranty, for a bit of insurance on buying it.

Goshinki

I believe it comes with a 30 day warranty and I can pay to get up to a 18 month warranty

But I have seen some other engines built for around $2500

Would it be better to have an engine built?

Cost wise?

Street racing wise? >.>

Norm

Donating Member

What's wrong with the engine in your truck?

jpalmer

man step back and tell yourself what you really want. its only worth it if you really want it.iif you dont wanna learn your truck, then you will have to pay. if your time is more valuable then by all means have someone else do a build or swap. whats your end wanted result. stock, fast as hell? im not trying to to make things hard on you but you need to make goals. where do you want to be. then you can make decisions based on your true goals.

willyson

trollin'

compression test will get you started before you make any major plans to buy.

Goshinki

Is a stock engine reliable with simple mods as long as I don't run over 18 PSI?

Lager Turbo
Performance Chip
Boost Controller

PS my engine is blown and everyone is 80% sure it isn't rebuild able

Also if I follow these "upgrades" whats the best order to do them in?

http://www.syty.org/old/modlist.html
(I already have a 180 thermostat, boost gage, lager turbo)

This package seems to cover all the little stuff >.>

http://www.detroitturbo.com/cart/product_info.php?products_id=432

In the end I plan to start learning shit but right now I am in Michigan and it just started snowing.

This seems like a good place to start after I get my engine done.

http://www.powells.com/biblio/2-9780801991103-2

PPS I am buying the engine from

http://www.gotengines.com/

It has 31000 miles

Last edited:

SY2932

Administrator

If you want to get serious, get a set of Helm's manuals.

IMG_0462.sized.jpg

Nothing else even comes close to them since they have factory authorized service information written by General Motors. But they don't give them away, you could buy a dozen plus Chilton's for what they cost...

The sooner you get comfortable working on your truck yourself the better :). This is NOT a vehicle to own if you don't/can't work on your own stuff unless you got deep pockets. And even that won't help you if the person doesn't know what they are working on. How many mechanics do you know in in your area work on a syty once or twice a month if you know what I mean.

Bottom line is stock is best for the person who isn't very involved with their truck. Modified can be reliable if it's done correctly and has a good tune.

MRKING

New Parts for Old Trucks

buying a used engine with plans of beating on it is just plain silly unless you are addicted to spending money .if your adding a bigger turbo , chip and , turning up the boost past its original intended 14 psi , one spirited drive could blow out the bottom end .

clearly your future plans are a fast truck . save up and do it right once . unless the warrenty covers another 950 for the next r+r when it blows, your just throwing money away.

a used motor would better suit someone with no plans other than to get thier truck back on the road . good luck with whatever you choose . these beasts are about having fun , and banking on the warrenty to cover you if something goes wrong doesnt sound like fun .

Goshinki

Then for the mods I stated whats the min I should spend on an engine if I got Detroit turbo to build me one >.>

Norm

Donating Member

New is always better than used. There's a couple vendors on this forumn that can help you out. Call them up ask them questions and weight your options.

Goshinki

I have been calling around but I don't know what to ask >.>

Basically I state I am looking for a 1992 GMC Typhoon engine. I would like it to be more reliable then a stock engine. Could you give me details of what I get for the price you have in mind?

Most seem to state the start price is $2500 and it goes up to anything from there...

Doesn't help me much >.> Why should I spend $3000 over $2500... I don't see any difference and no one will explain themselves....

A lot of people on this forum seem to be fine doing 1/4 at 12 seconds with stock engines...

It seems a stock engine will work fine for my needs

But would it be better just to have a new engine built for $2500 vs the $1900 for the used one

What questions should I ask about an engine? I want it to find into a mostly stock Typhoon >.>

A lot of people just seem to try and upsell me to a $3500 engine.... When I don't even state the mods I am looking to get.

PS whats a good compression test number?

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD

I'll step in here since I have been down this road a few times. If you don't think you need more than a stock motor then don't do it. I had 213,000 miles on my stock rods and never had any issues. I would replace your pistons, bore to .030 if possible, get a cheap set of hypers, and run it. Have your heads rebuilt, inspect your cam. First build I did was very stock, it lasted a long time and it probably still would be had the pick up tube not fallen off. I would HIGHLY recommend getting something like this for your motor no matter which way you went

This costs $40 and why not do it? Losing a good motor to a pick up tube is utterly humiliating:oops:
I dont know what turbo you run but as long as you do everything safe and with in the limits of your potential you should be fine with a stock motor. I would strongly suggest however that you do NOT purchase a used motor unless you get it for less than $400. Now if it comes with everything like the upper lower intakes, exhaust mans and x over, I'd consider that, but otherwise, build what you got. Its just not worth it to not know what hte hell you're getting in to.:2cents:

Goshinki

I have not found an engine for under $800...

"The first one is a complete stock long block. It has about 84k miles on it. This will be the complete bottom end, heads, valve covers, oil pan. It will not include, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, turbo, ect. I'm looking to get $800 for that one. That is located in Victor, NY, and could be picked up there.

The second option I have is a built bottom end, but it needs rods and re-assembly. It's a stock 92 Ty block, but it's .030 and has all billet main caps and a billet front cap. This engine only has 1000 miles on it since the original build. The build includes, brand new crank, TRW forged pistons, all the 4 bolt mains, B&M flex plate, fluidamper damper, comp cams 422 cam, comp cams timing set, comp cams lifters, and an edelbrock water pump. With a set of rods and re-assembly, this would be ready to go. This engine does not include heads. $800. This one is located in Alliance, OH."

Everyone states that they don't have a Typhoon engine and I'll have a hard ass time finding one...

Also I want this done quickly so the used engine or a new engine still look like the best option instead or re-assembly or rebuilding one

jpalmer

well another option is buy used, have it torn down, inspected, and reassembled. this will allow a better nights sleep. everything is in the tune though, not just a chip. your specific Ty tuned with whatever build or stock you go with. Nolan can do this, and i believe Turbodig can, and im sure many others. You will be happier with the performance and it will be way more reliable, and less chance of killing it. you would be surprised how fast a near stock engine can be in capable hands. you will only need reliability mods and everything will be golden. stay as stock as possible and you will be better off.

Btw those manuals up above will also help any mechanic you go to see too.

Goshinki

Okay so the $1900 31000 Mile Engine passed the compression test with 160 - 185

It comes with a 101 Day Warranty

Sounds like I am going for this one >.>

warmpancakes

wheres the motor from? 101 day warranty? just the part or labor? If its from a salvage yard (local) make sure they cover the labor to pull it when you pop it

warmpancakes

10.00 says its not a ty or sy motor but a standard blazer motor, if its used they have to by LAW provide the VIN, run the VIN

Goshinki

Thanks for making me double check =P

It came out a 1992 GMC Typhoon or so they say...

It was already pulled when they got it so they don't have a VIN >.>