Getting tailgate/liftgate on a Typhoon open?

atkonkler

Is this your bush?
What is the best way to get the tailgate open if the actual lock doesn't work and solenoid won't pop any longer....But you can here the relay clicking went you use the dash button or key Fob.

Thanks

Poconojoe

Donating Member
The last 1st gen S10 Blazer I had to open, I ended up having to force the interior panel off to get in at the solenoid

DaveP's Ghost

Bust the back glass......

If the rear lock doesn't work, or you don't have a key for it, twist it off with your hand and use a screwdriver to open the glass, then the tailgate. This was a common way for thieves to get into the 1st Gen back in the day. They'd twist the back knob off with their hand. Replace the handle assembly after you get it open.

daves92typhoon

I know this may sound weird, but I have had trouble with unlocking my rear back glass from the switch on the dashboard...when the key is in the "on" position, I only hear a click from the switch on the dash and the back glass will not open. If I start the Typhoon and press the button, the rear glass unlatches....might be something related to a relay or the switch?

DaveP's Ghost

I've noticed that my now 30 year old Ty will only pop the glass from the dash button with the engine running. The 2 volt boost from the alternator is enough to overcome resistance in the circuit and still provide enough force to pull the cable. 2 volts less with the engine off, and it won't.

No, I haven't come up with a fix. I just use the key with the engine stopped.