GMC pas document

Slyclone

Was there ever any evidence of the GMC switch over of the emblems? I'm just curious because I saw it before and could not find it.

It mentions something like black logos were used, and then quickly switch to red. ?

Looks like a lot of information is gone, or I'm not properly aware in how to use the search correctly in depth to pin point specific topic.

Slyclone

I saw it too, years ago. I lot of information looks like it could have went to wasteland. I have no idea. Thanks

syclone0517

Was there ever any evidence of the GMC switch over of the emblems? I'm just curious because I saw it before and could not find it.

It mentions something like black logos were used, and then quickly switch to red. ?

Looks like a lot of information is gone, or I'm not properly aware in how to use the search correctly in depth to pin point specific topic.
Yes! I remember this. There was an internal letter from GM top brass to PAS requesting the cancellation of the black GMC grill badge and to go back to the ruby red GMC badge. When my friend first got his 92Typhoon we were suspicious of the black letters we had thought that the previous owner had swapped them out. Upon doing some research we discovered they were in fact original. Not sure how many of the 92's got them and I believe none of the 93's. Not sure if there is documented numbers or VIN brake points. I thought sure there was a copy of the letter on the SYTY-cd-rom. Can't seem to find it. Thought I had saved a copy. still looking. Try looking over at ISTR- international syclone typhoon registry they had a lot of PAS documents at one time.

Slyclone

I looked on the other info sources and everything is magically gone, or withheld. Then when it's magically available again, someone is going to capitalize off it like they did before. I know there's about 6,000 build folders some where... Sitting in boxes, collecting dust, doing no good sitting there. I been after mine- for a while. ?

The gm letter probably the same thing with the new restructure.

I had a exchange with some one acting like I didn't know what I was talking about in regards to the emblems/color and just threw the towel in because I have no evidence to back what I'm saying- except my 91 syclone had black grille emblems ( thought it was all original). Every other grille I worked on had these hex type speed nut/jamb nut type fastener. My emblem were a nightmare to remove as they had Chinese finger trap style holders to hold emblems on. Some one else's comment was - you can get them anywhere- leaving me to believe that someone had installed them post new ownership. But again I have no clue. Maybe my grille was a 92 typhoon one. ? 20190113_080303.jpg

DaveP's Ghost

I think the first 500 had black.
I know it was higher than 500 because in 1997, I owned 92 #631 which was built on (Monday) Oct 28. It had black letters, and I am convinced the letters were original to the truck, as it was only 5 years old, and virtually unmolested other than had been totaled in a road accident. The date of this letter is Oct 25, which was a Friday.

The Typhoons were only built on Mondays until November 5th, which was a Tuesday. #631 which had black, was built the first day of production after this letter was issued. It is reasonable that the change didn't take immediate effect. Perhaps a day or so of production. The last Ty on Monday Oct 28 was #667. The next Ty produced a week later on Monday Nov 4th (10 days after the letter) was #668. IF the change was implemented by November 4th, then #668 had red.

If the change was implemented in 10 days (it wasn't in 3, because I owned a truck built 3 days later), I think it's reasonable to expect that the change-over was between #667 and #668. I've never seen anyone get it this close before. I used Renz's compnine data for the production dates. This is a damn good guess. Best I've seen in the 23 years I've been in SyTy where this question comes up regularly.

Last edited:

Timbo

SyTy Stalker

^This thread comes as close as we ever have to answering the question. Looks like there was a wide spread where your truck could have had either black or red. There was even a video posted showing both black-lettered and red-lettered Typhoons coming off of the production line.

Slyclone

Thanks for the responses. Good information I do not know how to access anymore. Glad I checked back.

DaveP's Ghost

That thread was 2013. I remember it. The trucks were 21 years old, and not one respondent in that thread knew the history of their truck more than a few years back. It is difficult to determine original production content 21 years later because things get changed, and the current owner has not a clue if it has or hasn't been changed.

I'm sure that trucks higher than 668 were produced with black letters.

Does anyone give a shit anymore?

Timbo

SyTy Stalker
Does anyone give a shit anymore?
I still find this stuff interesting.

I like the handwritten note on the GM memo that says "This may be reversed again from red back to black", which makes me think that not everyone was fully on board with the change. We don't know how many times they may have changed their mind, and if my experience in management has taught me anything, there is a good chance that the information was very jumbled by the time it reached the assembly line and not everyone was on the same page, so there probably was a good run of trucks getting black letters after GM said to make the switch.
I also like how they mention Syclones. Syclone production was already complete, but were they still considering a '92 Sy at this time? The press photos of the '92 Syclones that I've seen have black letters.
How about Sonoma GTs? They were only about 165-170 trucks into production when the memo hit.

I had number 1315 with black grill letters, I researched this way back in the day and I found the black grille letters up into the 1400s.