Grill Emblems

corsair231

Okay guys, I know the original Sy grills had red GMC letters but wondering if they were chrome outlines or black-out outlines? It seems that in some of the grill pictures on-line of supposedly original trucks some are chrome and some seem black. Which is correct or are both of them correct? Just a minor thing but I scored a set of chrome outlined ones from a pull-a-part and if they are correct I may change them out for my current all black ones.
TIA

DaveP's Ghost

My 93 has silver outline red letters. They are very likely original to the truck.
Back in the day, the black ones were sought after and valuable. Don't "give" them away or loose them.

Dedrick

My 93 has silver outline red letters. They are very likely original to the truck.
Back in the day, the black ones were sought after and valuable. Don't "give" them away or loose them.

So the black GMC grill badge was a sought-after stock option?

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
So the black GMC grill badge was a sought-after stock option?

The black letters were standard on 92 Typhoons but the use of black emblems on the trucks ended and red emblems replaced them during the production year. If I remember correctly it is thought that it happened pretty much between truck 1500 and 1600. But it was not just cut off at a certain truck. One may have had red installed but the next may have black. There have been threads on this site about them that were pretty interesting. There was a letter on one of the threads where GM gave the work to phase the black letters out.

DaveP's Ghost

I just noticed this in the OP's post. He's asking about the border color on the RED letters on Syclones. Not the black letters on the 92 Ty's

Okay guys, I know the original Sy grills had red GMC letters but wondering if they were chrome outlines or black-out outlines? It seems that in some of the grill pictures on-line of supposedly original trucks some are chrome and some seem black.

I've never noticed either way. My 93 has silver outlines.

Dedrick

The black letters were standard on 92 Typhoons but the use of black emblems on the trucks ended and red emblems replaced them during the production year. If I remember correctly it is thought that it happened pretty much between truck 1500 and 1600. But it was not just cut off at a certain truck. One may have had red installed but the next may have black. There have been threads on this site about them that were pretty interesting. There was a letter on one of the threads where GM gave the work to phase the black letters out.

Wow, interesting! I’m strictly talking Typhoons here, but in light of what you are saying, if I see a ‘92 Typhoon with a red emblem then that is likely aftermarket? All ‘92 Typhoons had black emblems? Or like you said with the Sy trucks, it’s not that cut and dried?

Really appreciate your reply. (I’ll try and search up that old thread.)

Dedrick

Found this post also from you. Now it’s clear to me that you’re saying 92 Typhoons had black emblems initially and switched to red at some point that year.

thank you!

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
I found an old thread discussing the black emblems. It looks like they were guessing the number of trucks that had the black ones originally varied from 500 to 1400. There was a better thread that I can not find that had some interesting post. But no one really knows how many trucks had the black emblems originally.

This thread does have a copy of the document that says to switch over to red emblems. It is interesting that is says to switch the emblems on Syclone, Typhoon and SGT trucks. I never have heard anything about black emblems on anything except the 92 Typhoon.

Last edited: