Josh's Syclone build thread

Sy2622

Sounds like your starting to get it ironed out.
Thanks for the info, this has been a good thread to follow it definitely keeps me motivated.

WyoSyclone

The tuning has been a lengthy but necessary process. A huge shout out to WyoSyclone and everything he has done to help me. The man's wizardry with the factory ECM has been a huge blessing. All the datalogging that I have done has enabled him to catch a lot of things. We have dealt with a whole array of problems. I had spark break-up that led me to making a better ground for my MSD box and ditching the NGK UR6 plugs in exchange for Autolite AR24 plugs that Wyo had suggested. We encountered knock early on in the tuning that had me re-adjusting the exhaust and looking for anything touching or rubbing that might be setting off the knock sensor. Wyo had discovered that my injector voltage was dropping off during WOT pulls and I performed his mod to fix this issue (Wyo will be posting this repair soon). We then dealt with what appeared to be poor grounding issues causing a glitch in the datalogging during WOT. I cleaned every ground connection that I could find and we seemed to have dealt with that issue.

The TH350 trans and it's different gearing caused it's own unique challenges in that a different timing and fueling strategy is necessary because of the different loads it's puts on the engine at different times compared to the 700r4 so you can't simply use a BIN for a truck with a stock trans. 1st gear in particular is much taller. The Royal Purple Octane boost that Wyo had suggested allowed us to dial in a little more boost and timing than we would have been able to use otherwise. The work that he did to cold start, idle, cruise, tip-in, and WOT have all made this truck run so much better than it ever has. I think we are up to 24 different updates to the tune. That is something you simply cannot have with an off the shelf BIN. We have a good and safe street tune now and will begin adding Alky and tune for that as well, we will start turning up the boost and see what she will do. Looking forward to it!

Thanks again Rob!

You're very welcome Josh! It's been a fun project, and I've certainly learned what a TH350 wants/needs with regard to AFR's, timing, etc. And that BBK throttle body certainly affects tip-in, accelerator pump function, and low kpa operating regions.

WyoSyclone

Hey Sy2623,

We haven't started using the alky yet. But, we started maxing out the 50 pounders at around 15 pounds of boost on pump gas but keep in mind that is 15 pounds with a 62mm turbo so it's making more power than a stock set up. I'm running a th350 trans so the ECM isn't able to keep track of what gear I'm in, that particular system has been disabled in the tune.

I think timing is at 15 degrees right now. We should be able to get some more out of it with the new injectors before hitting the knock threshold, especially with the Royal Purple octane boost on top of 93 pump gas, we should be around 96 octane. The taller 1st gear won't allow as much timing out of the hole as a 700r4 but I can post back with what we are able to squeeze out of the truck before hitting knock and before using alky. My truck has been a little more knock prone than some of the other trucks on here which could be a limiting factor. Could be due to one of the following:

1. The engine has been noisy since I first bought the truck. I don't know the full history of the vehicle, I am finding new aftermarket parts the further I dig into this thing all the time. I have cut the oil filter open, didn't find anything. I also readjusted the lifter pre-load on the comp rockers, sound didn't changed though. Sounds like valvetrain noise. I may do some lifters in the future. This could be upsetting my knock sensor. I know the main bearings love to get hammered out on these things so hoping it's not that, but with all this datalogging and WOT operation the noise has never gotten any worse and I have great oil pressure.

2. The widebody injectors could have been rubbing. There is a GM TSB about widebody injectors making a knocking sound on Sy's and Ty's when the housings contacts the intake manifold. The pics of my injectors in the classifieds section would indicate that they were probably rubbing.

3.I have a torn driver's motor mount. I tried to run the engine torque limiter rod that everybody has but I couldn't use it. The previous owner cracked the alternator bracket and I epoxied it. It holds the alternator fine, but I don't trust it to hold the engine under load. So, I am running an old school chain from engine to frame on driver's side, I could be picking up some harmonics through this.

4. I have a 3" downpipe that is wrapped so it gets close to the frame as does the rest of the exhaust pipe all the way back, I gotta watch interference between the cross members and the pipe and readjust to make sure nothing hits anywhere.

Hope this helps bud!

And the fact that you're spinning it to 5200rpm is really taking the injectors to the edge :)

WyoSyclone

Truck is running and driving. No issues. Shifts amazing. Feels like I'm driving a standard...a clutchless standard lol. Very firm and strong. I tested the trans brake, works beautifully. The ratchet shifter feels great too. I am now working with Rob to fine tuning this thing. One step forward, two steps back with this truck, always. But, I feel like things are finally headed in the right direction. More to come later.

View attachment 1864045
Truck looks great!

Goodgollyjosh

And the fact that you're spinning it to 5200rpm is really taking the injectors to the edge :)

I just have terrible reaction timing. My shift light is set at 4800 if I recall correctly. I guess it is just taking me that long to pull the shifter when the light turns on. We can adjust the shift light to get the shift points wherever they need to be. But, I suspect I will be getting very close to the rev limiter in the quarter mile in 3rd gear. My calculations with a 3.42 ring and pinion, the 1.0 ratio 3rd gear of the TH350, a 26" tire, and a 5300 rpm rev limit puts me at 119.5 miles per hour top speed.

Mikeysy15

Donating Member
Sorry to ask again, what turbo is in the truck ? Another thing is that the calculations never worked for me . I think at 119mph with a 3.42 gear and a 26 inch tire you will be more at 5800rpm. I have a 28 inch tire , 3.08 gear and I’m at 5400 rpm at 120mph. Run the car in the 1/8 mile first and see where your Rpms are at. There’s some videos on YouTube of a member here doing 124-125mph with the th350 and his Rpms were at 6000 with 3.42’s .

Mikeysy15

Donating Member
I can send you a video of my tach and the speed on a draggy . It’s just a low boost pull till about 124 from a 60 roll in high gear . I would post here but it’s only letting me post a picture not a video

Mikeysy15

Donating Member
Video doesn’t work . Here’s a pic . I know my tach is 300 rpm off . It’s saying 5700rpm but the scanmaster is showing 5400. This is with a 28 inch tire and 3.08 gear. The draggy is gps so the mph is exact. My Speedo doesn’t work ever since I put the powerglide in. I’m just looking out for you since I see all that hard work you’ve done . Would be áshamed to blow it up

Mikeysy15

Donating Member

Heres the video. If you have plans of making the truck faster since you put in a th350 just be aware that with 3.42’s your gonna rev that this past 5300. I know because I have a glide and I also have a 1.1 final gear. I’m calculating that at 6000rpm I’ll be at 135-137 and I think that’s what the car will trap In the 1/4.

Goodgollyjosh

This actually all makes sense because at 80 I am already at like 3900 rpm. I recall the video you posted, I remember he was turning the engine much tighter than most but I know he had vortec heads with better springs I imagine. I recall that he bend a rod and fried a piston, rebuilt it and then the bottom end gave out while he was chasing the fastest stock block record. I may have to go back to the drawing board on this one once I get the tune nailed down. At least in the meantime, I can still hit the dyno. Thanks for the info and pics Mikey, I appreciate it.

Goodgollyjosh

Oh, and I sent a pic of my turbo to proptop a while back and he said it was an RPM unit. The cold side measured at 62mm, I haven't had it apart yet to measure the hot side.

Mikeysy15

Donating Member
Yes sir , no worries . I’m on ported L35 heads and 415 cam . But what really helped was getting rid of the stock intake manifold . Sean Krupa is selling some forward facing intakes and I think you keep the bottom section . Beautiful pieces . I suggest to run the car first. I’m running my car this Saturday in the 1/8 and then the next Saturday in the 1/4. Then after that I’m going with vortec heads and a bigger cam so hopefully it pulls harder after 5500. I’ll post my times . Also figured out I can just post on YouTube and then copy the video from there onto here . That seemed to work , but it won’t let me post directly from my phone. Good luck with the truck . Good to see people out there racing them

proptop

Donating Member
Gents,
I am Jealous as you guy's are out having fun and mine is stuck in the shop waiting to be worked on. Anyway Keep up the Hard work fellas!!!!
Bob

Terry

I second that, mines in a million pieces between 2 garages. Gota love the support from the members hear. I know there's a few guys on here I will be hitting up for advice once I get to this point also. Not that I'm going racing but definitely want a quick and reliable truck when she's back on the road. Keep up the good work guys. Your truck is awesome.

Goodgollyjosh

Well, the 80 pound injectors I bought in the member's classifieds section got lost in the mail. I currently have a claim out with the post office but it will only yield $50 in insurance but I guess it is better than nothing. In the meantime, I bought another set of injectors and am waiting for those to show up. This has given me some time to do some other things on the truck. I wanted to perform Proptop's mod to the RPM exhaust system, which is to cut out the restriction on the 3" exhaust. The joint where it bolts together chokes it down quite a bit and so I cut it out and had a 3" piece of stainless straight pipe welded in it's place. According to Bob, if you're pushing a lot of air this mod is worth some ponies. So, hopefully this will yield some extra power and cut down my EGT's and maybe even make me less knock prone by preventing exhaust gas back flow.

20210201_114150.jpg20210201_114102.jpg20210210_154904.jpg

proptop

Donating Member
Josh,
You should see a big drop in exhaust temperature and back pressure. By chance did you measure what the hole/crimp size was as I am curious to see if they were all the same? Happy spooling!!!!!!!
Bob