L33 swap

A

amerimuscle99

Ok so I got my Syclone a couple months ago and went to the track a couple times. Had lots of fun. Fixed a lot of leaks and running issues. I have a goal of 10.99 or faster and thinking and researching I came up with a LS swap being the most reliable way of doing it.

So I started taking the stock motor out and cleaning the engine bay up.
I picked up a 2005 L33 with 80K on it from Denver.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 0
A

amerimuscle99

Re: L33 swap

I Also am upgrading the front brakes to newer dual Pistons off a Blazer.
I deleted the A/C with a panel from a non A/C truck I got at Pull and Pay in the Springs.
Got rid of the ABS with the RPM kit. Pulled the wiring harness and ECU out.
Added MSD everything. Ran pretty great after that upgrade and maintinence was done.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 4
A

amerimuscle99

I have had the motor out a couple weeks with parts being sold on the classifieds section. I used some dirty dingo adjustable motor mounts.I have also cleaned and sprayed the frame black with some engine paint.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2
A

amerimuscle99

I have a full garage of parts now but the L33 is ready to go in. All I'm saying airing on is the oil pan, but that shipped today. It's a truck pan that was cut and welded up. I didn't want to mess with oil lines to a remote mount filter like the aftermarket pans would have. I am also using a Dirty Dingo bracket so I can keep the Syclone stock p/s pump and puts the alternator at the top.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 3
A

amerimuscle99

I'm going to be doing a single probably. for now I'm getting it together and running with the Holley Dominator. After I collect all the 4l80 and turbo parts ill jack it up again and do it all. Just so its not down for so long.

A

amerimuscle99

Now the motor is ready! Except waiting on the pan that should be done this weekend. Today I'm going to treat the shorty headers but after that I'm stuck until I get the motor in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1
A

amerimuscle99

The pan I got from eBay, they get made from stock truck pans and come with everything. I painted the shorty headers today and got the dirty dingo alternator bracket today. The pan should be here Friday and go in this weekend.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 3
A

amerimuscle99

So I cleaned up the engine bay some more. Also finished up the front brake conversion.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2
A

amerimuscle99

Brakes look great :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 4

68steiny

The engine is going to sit a little higher than the 4.3 and therefore you will need to bend back that trans/firewall lip and a spot back in the trans tunnel where the transfer case touches the tunnel.

A

amerimuscle99

Oil pan came in last night. Really nice and came with a bung welded on so that will come in handy for the future turbo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 8
A

amerimuscle99

Slowly but surely

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 0
A

amerimuscle99

Getting there.
The first time I dropped the motor in the drivers side dowel would not go into the transmission. So after I pulled the transmission and engine out I found out I had to make that dowel hole a little bigger. Then I had to drill out the torque converter bolt holes a little. So after I did all that I pulled the t-case off the transmission because it was leaking. I then dropped the transmission and engine in together. Had to lift the body up a few inches to get it in. One of the body mount bolts snapped........... So if anyone has a suggestion there that would be great.

I started the wiring mess yesterday and also the vacuum lines. Trying to get it all together and looking nice. I connected the power wires from the firewall fuse box up. The gray fuel pump wire to the green wire off the Holley harness.

Next issue after all the wiring is done is the stock fuel line does not fit nice behind the drivers head like the stock motor. So I'll have to see what to do with that when I get the shorty header installed. Knocking things off here and there. Putting in the t-case tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1
A

amerimuscle99

Update
Got the t-case back in and the transmission crossmember buttoned up. Need just a couple little thing under there. So I went back to the front of the car to start getting things checked off. Tightened up the motor mounts and tried to put the passenger side header on. It would not fit. Hit the shock tower and the firewall. Tried loosening up the motor mounts and the transmission mount to see if I could get some movement and I could but not a ton. So very tight but just off enough to not fit. So that is annoying for sure.
Even thought about selling the Syclone as a roller with all the stuff I have for it and move back to a rwd car. But I'll see what happens the next couple days. I don't need much to start it now.

68steiny

There is a lsx swap thread over at one of the s10 forums and they go in depth on what fits as far as exhaust...good luck.