New Steering Shaft Installed

Sy229

Move with Purpose
The steering slop on my Sy only slightly improved after swapping out the idler arm. After Adam and Charles both got good results from doing the steering shaft swap, I gave it a try. The swap was relatively easy and now the steering is a lot more responsive - apparently the rag joint in the original had gotten really loose. The pic below shows the old shaft in the foreground, and John Waller's stainless shaft waiting to go in.

Unfortunately, I'm now getting a strange 'whooshing' sound coming from the steering column. It only occurs on slow turns after the truck is hot, so I suspected the power steering pump. I topped off the fluid level (it was slightly low) but the noise persists. Ian's guess is that I may be hearing pump noise through the new steering shaft that has always been there, but isolated by the rag joint. Has anyone else done the steering shaft swap and got audio feedback from your pump?

Last edited:

QUICK STORM

B.A.M.F. BMW Tech
Re: New Steering Shaft Installed

i have one for sale as the shaft is to big for the new headers. would like to get what i paid for it if anyone is interested.

this is the same shaft pictured above

syntax

I have the exact same noise it started right after i installed the shaft. It only occurs when sitting still and at low speed turns, i do believe it is normal pump noise that is now audible because of the solid shaft. I believe this is one of the purposes of the stock rag joint, to isolate pump noise, its been almost 2 years now, ive just gotten used to it.

mattw

I have the noise and I like it... Happened as soon as I installed a shaft without any rubber isolators..

-Matt