New Syclone Owner looking for help.

gmemony2

You could just find a good mechanic to do a general once over of the car. They can check all the normal items just as well as someone specific to these trucks. As far as any of the "nuances" about the syty's, you'd just have to start asking around probably...maybe some other locals owners in your area.

Even the shop in my area that used to see these trucks often, hasn't seen one in about 8-10 years he said. He mostly see's GN's now.

tcbkelly

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I have GN guy for my 87 GN but he doesn't work on the SYTY. My biggest concern right now is that the truck launches hard then falls on its face around 40 MPH. While looking it over, i discovered there is no water in the intercooler right before the intake. I was reading a service bulletin that said if there is no water then the ecu will sense it and retard the timing. Anyone ever heard of that? should i fill the intercooler from the top?

Ty1642

You definitely should have water in the charge air cooler. If you don't you can get knock. The cooling system for the turbo CAC is completely separate from the engine coolant system and has it's own electric pump. The pump can go bad if it's original. After you fill the system, you should (barely) be able to see the water moving in the cooler if you take the cap off with the truck idling. It's a quick way to check the pump. The stock sensor to check water level in the system was wired wrong from the factory and never worked.

neildemo

Administrator
Your issues could be 2 issues. Def the Intercooler will pull timing when in boost. You could also hae a weak fuel pump.

tcbkelly

So I found a manual boost controller under the hood that was wide open. I closed it down and adjusted it so the dash gauge shows 15 pounds at WOT. Filled the charge air cooler and it runs way better. Doesn’t fall in its face anymore but still seems slow.

neildemo

Administrator
Well thats not good at all! you were prob hitting the fuel cut off safety at 20 psi. They are quick not fast by todays standards. build a little boost at the line and they fun as hell. but over 60 they not fast at all in stock form mid 13 sec truck. You can def enhance it with a turbo tweak chip 3 bar map and 19psi will wake it up and add about 40 hp. Get a Steve Morris Cam I am told adds about 50 Hp.

graham1524

What truck number did you pick up? Also, do a lot of readng because these trucks are weird. Howtune.com has a good list of things to look over that you should do