ProtoTy Project

Chug

That Guy With the "Jimmy"
Well boys and girls I have finally taken delivery of the '95 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 for the Prototype Typhoon project.

As I have said before the 93 Typhoon that I have is pretty hurt so I have decided to make a truck that GMC didnt make, a 95 Typhoon/Xtreme.

Some of you say that i should save the TY but I have done some number crunching and figured that I would have over $8000 in the truck to get it back to Typhoon status. Hell I can buy one for less then that with a clean title and all the parts. Also in doing some research I have found that the TY was totaled 18mo off the showroom floor. It is an obvious body swap, so the truck isn't worth as much as anyone thinks.

AND SO IT BEGINS!!!!!!!!!

The 93 Typhoon
ty004.jpg

The 95 ProtoTy (My $250 Chassis Score)
ProtoTy001.jpg

ProtoTy002.jpg

Please don't hate!!

13Pelle

Re: ProtoTy Project

I'm looking forward to plenty of pics and updates. Good luck with everything. :tup:

Chug

It somewhat pains me to do this also but I think the upgrade will better suit the TYs power plant better then the poor ass pre '89 Blazer body

This comes not long after I have completed a 3800SC Fiero GT. So I'm sitting pretty high on the success of that project. I'm planning to take much more time and detail in this project

Last edited:

Chug

man I'm going crazy here!!!!! I'm still trying to get my buddys Fiero GT outta my yard (3800sc swap) His is having some serious setbacks, not including weather!!!

I did order some Energy Suspension control arm bushings and I'm waiting on those to come in. Planning to order the body mounts soon. Plan is, when these parts come in (and I get rid of my buddys Fiero) is to take the frame out from under the body and do some refurbishing. Plan on installing drop keys and leafs and some Bilstein shocks and of coarse a fuel pump to fuel the beast.

Baythan

SY2TY2SY2TY

I don't know if this is even relevant, but Dennis Kirban (GN guy) just posted a GMC grille for sale. Don't know if it will tranfer to the chevy. Here's the info:

P-1285 For a 1994-1998 GMC Pickup Truck, I have a perfect used front grille assembly, 100% complete, dark burgundy in color with chrome grille and GMC logo. We will NOT ship, pick up only! Price is $150. It is mint.

If you want, I could pick this up for you.

2500avalanche

IS there a ty interior in the 93? If so, are you parting? I would be interested in the door panels if they are not chopped up!

Chug

I don't know if this is even relevant, but Dennis Kirban (GN guy) just posted a GMC grille for sale. Don't know if it will tranfer to the chevy. Here's the info:

P-1285 For a 1994-1998 GMC Pickup Truck, I have a perfect used front grille assembly, 100% complete, dark burgundy in color with chrome grille and GMC logo. We will NOT ship, pick up only! Price is $150. It is mint.

If you want, I could pick this up for you.

Yes it can go in the 95 Chevy but I still have alot of work to be done before I'm even close to ready for the grill. To do the GMC grill with a Xtreme bumper, the bumper needs to be modified to fill the areas under the headlights. So for now I'll have to pass, Huge Thanks though!!!!!!!!!!

IS there a ty interior in the 93? If so, are you parting? I would be interested in the door panels if they are not chopped up!

To be honest I think the only thing that will be left is the door panels and the rear lowers and the headliner is MINT!! I'll be useing all the seats. The carpet is there but it is soaking wet.

It will be a few months before I'll be dissasembling the TY but you have dibs on the panels.

Chug

dammit quit prolonging the pain. just get the swap done...

Wish I could but this is going to, pretty much, be a complete restoration along with the TY swap. That and I have 2 kids and a 40yr old house that needs some help.

2500avalanche

Great! Thanks!
Yes it can go in the 95 Chevy but I still have alot of work to be done before I'm even close to ready for the grill. To do the GMC grill with a Xtreme bumper, the bumper needs to be modified to fill the areas under the headlights. So for now I'll have to pass, Huge Thanks though!!!!!!!!!!

To be honest I think the only thing that will be left is the door panels and the rear lowers and the headliner is MINT!! I'll be useing all the seats. The carpet is there but it is soaking wet.

It will be a few months before I'll be dissasembling the TY but you have dibs on the panels.

Chug

Started the tear down of the ProtoTy
100_0860.jpg

Pretty clean truck for the price
100_0861.jpg

Oh damn some bad news I found some rust on the body LOL
100_0862.jpg

Dont mind that that crappy looking hinge bushing those will get replaced too

Chug

More updates:

Just a little work this weekend
100_0863.jpg

Front clip off and frame out

100_0864.jpg

Body Blocked Up For A Short Rest

100_0865.jpg

Frame Out And Ready For Pending Work

Chug

u should swap out those ugly front lamps for the Envoy style lamps that work.

That is somewhat the plan, I want the composet headlight frontend. (thats way down the road)

Chug

I have a question for you gurus!!!! I want to change all the bushings in the chassis with Energy Suspension but I can't find any information anywhere for the bushings for the front diff. Do any of you guys/gals have a part number for those??

Last edited:

Chug

(pics from my phone)
Finally got the bug again and got the frame undercoated
IMG00016-20100521-1713.jpg

IMG00018-20100521-1713.jpg

IMG00017-20100521-1713.jpg

I have Energy Suspension front and rear bushing set I'm just waiting on the body mount set to show up and the body can go back on the frame!!!!!