Replacement HVAC motor options?

Dan_Austin

With the rebuilt engine in my Typhoon is very close to being suitable as my daily driver. Almost. The HVAC blower is not moving much air. All leaks have been found, blend door adjusted and confirmed working. It appears the motor is just weak and the squirrel cage maybe not very efficient by todays standards.

For another of my project cars I found a community that had identified several modern vehicles that the HVAC motor could be used with minor mod resulting in major airflow improvements. Scanning the SyTy forums and S10/S15 forums, I have not found similar posts. Has anyone identified a good replacement candidate, or am I looking at a reman and hoping for the best?

DaveP's Ghost

Remove the blower motor and inspect the surface of the evaporator core for debris and blockage. You can clean them through the blower motor hole, spray Simple Green on it, let it soak, and rinse with a garden hose at very low pressure/volume. Some water may leak into the interior, but as long as you don't over-do it, and allow periods for the rinse to drain through the condensate hole, it shouldn't make too big a mess.

Dan_Austin

Should have mentioned I did that. There wasn't any leaves or other crud and went a step further a put a tray under the truck to catch the water. Based on what I caught, the coils were dusty, but definitely not blocked. I also did a heater core about a year ago and could inspect the ducts around it, and again cleaner than I expected. So I am more than a bit sure I need a new blower motor. A VDO stock replacement is only $30, so not a biggie if is better but not as good as say a 2002 Honda Civic (example). The S10 forums pointed out that the blower was OK in the trucks but under powered for the larger Blazer cabin, but did not offer anything better. I do see that Four Seasons has an 'improved' unit for only a few bucks more, but not stocked locally. I guess if the VDO doesn't work the price is low enough to do the job again with a Four Seasons.