Sy and Ty Transfer Case - side by side comparison (photos)

intheclouds1977

Re: Sy and Ty Transfer Case - side by side comparison (photos)

Does that mean any Astro Van or Bravada T-case will work in a syty as long as the tail housing, rear output shaft, yoke and drive chain are swapped over?

Captain Morgan

Moderated User

Does that mean any Astro Van or Bravada T-case will work in a syty as long as the tail housing, rear output shaft, yoke and drive chain are swapped over?

not sure why you would need to swap the chain or any of that stuff, as long as its a 4472 Case, it should be a direct bolt in on a Typhoon. If you have a Syclone, then you would need to swap a few things.

EDIT: Been doing research on the chains, so far the only thing I have found is the number of blue links in the chain, either 1 or 2. I believe SyTys have 1.

intheclouds1977

not sure why you would need to swap the chain

2 different part numbers for the drive chain per above:

Syty and Bravada: 272888t
Astro/Safari -272888v

So if you buy an Astro Van transfer case, it looks like the chain would need to be swapped too.

Captain Morgan

Moderated User

2 different part numbers for the drive chain per above:

Syty and Bravada: 272888t
Astro/Safari -272888v

So if you buy an Astro Van transfer case, it looks like the chain would need to be swapped too.

yup, I acknowledged that already in my EDIT above, but that would ONLY for Astro cases from what I can tell.

The difference is the number of blue links and the SyTys have a staggered link pattern (forget what its technically called)

ajt86

actually I thought the guy who did a bunch of Silverado SS couplers for me in in the past few years didn't do syclones but I checked his site and it lists the 4472 case. STE traction control in aneheim California. It seems every time someone has a locked coupler they swap in a used tcase- its easy to swap yourself

Captain Morgan

Moderated User

The Borg-Warner 4472 is a three-piece aluminum, chain driven, viscous clutch-type transfer case. This is used in a system in which all-wheel drive is always activated. The all-wheel drive is automatic and has no external controls.

The viscous clutch used in the 4472 is a torque distribution device and is non-serviceable. The internal construction of the viscous clutch consists of alternating plates that are connected to the front and rear outputs of the transfer case. The clutch is filled with high-viscosity oil which flows through slots in the plates. The oil's resistance to sheering causes the plates to transmit torque at the needed ratio to the front or rear wheels.
^-------

Ratdog

Hello- I need to replace the chain in my sy 1372 transfer case part# HV-033 . Is the ty chain the same having difficulty finding the chain or someone who knows if they are interchangeable ?

kentuc

You might have a Typhoon swapped in transfer case.

Captain Morgan

Moderated User

All of them, or just the early ones like the Bravadas? I don't remember. If I'm wrong, fix it for me please. This thread is confusing enough as it is. Thanks.

91 Bravada, 91 Syclone and All Astro/Safari cases should be 27 spline outputs according to everything I found when I was heavily researching these things a while back.

sanbernardito

Hello everyone.
Please, where can I get the transfer case chain #272888t for a 1991 GMC Syclone? Thanks for your help

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-05-25 at 9.43.33 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-05-25 at 9.43.33 PM.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

DaveP's Ghost

Good luck. The chain hasn't been available new for at least 15 years. Cobra trans used to have used ones. I doubt they do any longer.

The chains stretch. Especially in a T-case that had a locked viscous clutch. A stretched chain makes a hell of an erratic, loud, clunk-clunk sound as it snaps back into the root of the sprockets. Tough noise to diagnose correctly until you've heard it, and figured it out a time or two.

EDIT: I just checked Cobra. They still have the 4472 listed, but absolutely nothing in the way of parts for it. Not even seals.

Last edited:

Dorian

Try midwest(autozone builder) bought a Ty tcase 2.5 years ago just to have for backup went to put it in january and it was a sy unit wouldnt work,took it back to autozone told em they sold me the wrong unit,they said it was out of warranty by 30 days,told em not a warranty issue,wrong tcase after alot of back and forth they exchanged it ,then midwest called and said they couldnt do the build cuz no Ty core's, soooo i told em to look here,that 96 bravada is same Tcase,got the new Tcase 2.5 weeks sooner than ETA rep said it was the most overbuilt Tcase they had seen. maybe they have a chain or u can buy the Sy Tcase i returned in jan 1,300$

Dorian

Yeah,sportmachines has chains for a G when i talked to em acouple years ago u can get Sy Tcase from autozone for 1,300$ 1,600$ Ty with a two year warranty