Sy for sale on Carsforsale.com

Timbo

SyTy Stalker
I can't believe the number of low-mile trucks that have popped up for sale lately. When I first started looking for a Typhoon 20 years ago, I felt a need to get one quickly before all of the low-mileage trucks disappeared. Someone on this forum told me that there will always be low-mileage trucks available, and I guess they were right.

DaveP's Ghost

I call it the "Carfax Lotto". I've seen a trend on BaT where the 'Low Mile' vehicles (everything I track including diesel pick-ups) with mechanical odometers (easy to roll-back) seem to originate from states where odometer readings aren't generally reported to Carfax. There is no history for decades on the Carfax. I believe that peeps seek out these "no history" vehicles, doctor them up, roll back the odometer, create a story, and present them on BaT and other sites. I think it happens a lot.

Occasionally, I see a seller get caught. (A sought after Cherokee with 60k miles was on BaT. It was bid to the moon. A guy had recently seen the same Cherokee at an auction (same VIN) with 250,000 on it.) So I'm right in that it IS happening.

Condition, condition, condition. Then content. I spend a lot of time looking over a vehicle, assesing the condition and wear to get an idea of what I feel the odometer reading should be. Then I look at it. If I've deduced that I am looking at a 125,000 mile Ty, and the odometer says 42,000, I won't pay as much as a 42,000 mile vehicle might fetch from someone else that isn't as suspicious as I am of "low mileage" 30 year old vehicles with mechanical odometers, and no Carfax entries since the car was new.