TCC unlock tables?

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
Hey guys, I am having a problem with lock up. It seems like I have to give an awful lot of foot to get the TCC to unlock. If I am going 45mph and hit a hill it stays locked the whole way, I have to go almost to the floor to unlock it. Sometimes I just hit the brake pedal to unlock it. My questions is, what table(s) should I be using to make this unlock faster?

sytyguy

Moderated User
Re: TCC unlock tables?

Using Tunerpro?

Look under the tables section and adjust the TCC - 3rd gear load limit tables (F42/F43).

Additionally, if you're unhappy with the MPH at which lockup occurs, you can adjust the Road Speed upper/lower lock limits under the constants section - KRSHNTHK & KRSHNTLK

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD

Using Tunerpro?

Look under the tables section and adjust the TCC - 3rd gear load limit tables (F42/F43).

Additionally, if you're unhappy with the MPH at which lockup occurs, you can adjust the Road Speed upper/lower lock limits under the constants section - KRSHNTHK & KRSHNTLK

I did play with the mph for lock up. I had it lock up at 40. In F42/43, can you please explain to me what it is I am looking at and trying to do with the numbers (or what they mean I guess)? Is it me or is nothing labeled?

sytyguy

Moderated User

TCC_tables.jpg

What XDF are you using?

In F42/F43 you can see that TPS is scaled vs MPH.

turbodig

There's a thread over on code59 somewhere that goes through it... I did it when Daron was working on his setup to have the stock ECM control TCC lock on the 4l80e.

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD

There's a thread over on code59 somewhere that goes through it... I did it when Daron was working on his setup to have the stock ECM control TCC lock on the 4l80e.

I just got some time to go out and play with this. Obviously I don't get it because the tcc still isn't doing what I want. I read the thread but still don't get what the columns do. If this is correct please let me know.

Left column is MPH, middle is TPS to unlock? and right is TPS to lock? The answer given on 59 was a little too scientific for me (or maybe I am just being lazy:oops:). Unfortunately, Upper and Lower mean nothing to me. Really I just want to know what those columns are and if possible I may go in and label them different in the XDF editor.

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD

TCC_tables.jpg

What XDF are you using?

In F42/F43 you can see that TPS is scaled vs MPH.

Cant remember but it is one the updated code59 deals. I converted it all to farenheight but want to say it is the second or third version.

sytyguy

Moderated User

You're looking at the logic of F42/F43 wrong. The two tables work independent of each other based on the same basic data. The upper table is used if the TCC is currently locked and contains values to determine at what point (TPS vs MPH) the TCC will unlock. Likewise, the lower table is used when the TCC is unlocked and contains values to determine at what point lockup should occur (again, based on TPS vs MPH).

These are functional as long as all the minimum criteria have been met.....including (but not limited to):

- Coolant Temp
- Minimum Run Time
- TPS Unlock Delta (relative to negative/positive criteria).
- Road Speed Coast Level
- Road Speed Upper/Lower limits (discussed below)
- Etc...

The 5 things you'll adjust the most will be:

- Minimum Coolant Temp
- F42
- F43
- KRSHNTLK (lower)
- KRSHNTHK (upper)

KRSHNTHK/LK operate with a hysteresis in mind. Say the lower value is set to 38 and the upper is set to 40. In this example, the TCC will remain unlocked until 40 mph, at which point it will lock (assuming other criteria met) and remain locked until the MPH falls to 38 or lower (again, assuming all criteria met). If we were to set the two values the same (say, 40 mph), then you would have the ECM trying to lock and unlock the TCC at 40 mph, resulting in chatter (and eventually some premature failure if you drove at 40 too much). This is the reason for the hysteresis built in by commanding different road speed values for these 2 constants. General rule of thumb is to keep the lower at least 2-3 mph under the upper.

HTHs

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD

Perfect explanation. It couldn't be any clearer to me now. I hope I haven't damaged it because today it hadn't come on at all. I can't remember how I set it up but I am going to crack open the laptop in a little bit here and see what it is set to. By chatter, would that mean it revs up a little back and fourth like its locking and unlocking? I experienced that once or twice but it was very sudden and it happened pretty fast.

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD

50.00 50.00
50.00 50.00
50.00 50.00
50.00 46.88
55.08 37.11
55.08 30.86
51.95 25.00
44.92 21.09
34.77 17.97
34.77 17.97
0.00 0.00

This is what it is now. Shouldn't have caused problems should it have?

Here's my opinion. Take it fwiw. I'd bumP up the top cells from 50.00 to something a tad higher than the 55.08. But I have 0 exp tuning, so...

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD

Mike, I'll try those numbers. How did you get yours to say MPH? I tried to edit mine and it wont select the box.

sytyguy

Moderated User

It's an early modified XDF (with separate F42/F43 tables). The later ones (with joined F42/F43 tables) don't have that label. Notice that it's different than the one above.

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD

It's an early modified XDF (with separate F42/F43 tables). The later ones (with joined F42/F43 tables) don't have that label. Notice that it's different than the one above.

I did notice, I am thoroughly jealous:lol:

mattw

I know that this is an OLD thread but I'm hoping maybe some of you experienced code59 guys will know the answer. My TC is locking at WOT right around 70MPH. I assume this is happening as it is hitting the lower limit in the F42,F43 table and the throttle condition of 99.61% is being met. I tried raising this value above 100% so that its never be met but it wouldn't let me and it just set it back to 99.61...

I do NOT want my TC to look at WOT ever. How can I acomplish this? I've been studying the TCC tables/scalars and I don't see a good way to make it happen.

Eric Sy GN

Donating Member

You need to go down with the numbers in that mph range. The 2 tables work together.

The lower load table works like this: the TCC is allowed to lock when the actual TPS% is under the setting in the table

The upper load table: the TCC will unlock when the actual TPS% is above the setting in the table

Eric

mattw

Thanks you!! So if I am understanding you right I can modify my table as follows and I should never get lockup above 82% TPS..??

TCC%20F42_43%20Load%20Limits.jpg

Is that correct?

Eric Sy GN

Donating Member

The way you have it, it is allowed to lock under 82%, but will never unlock, because the TPS will never exceed 99.6%. So you need to decrease the Upper table settings also. I would put at least a 5% spread between the 2 tables. Put something like 77% on the Lower at 65,70mph, then 82% on the Upper at 60,65,70 mph.