Things a new SyTy owner should know and do

T-Bone

Re: Things a new SyTy owner should know and do

I have a factory tinted sliding glass window in the rear of my Syclone and from what I have researched, it was installed during conversion at PAS :dunno:.

warmpancakes

Nope not in 91 now it was supposed to be optional in 92 is it a PPG peiece because all GM glass at the time was PPG

T-Bone

Nope not in 91 now it was supposed to be optional in 92 is it a PPG peiece because all GM glass at the time was PPG

I was referring to the prototype 92 Syclone I have. I'll check the RPO on it that Dave referred to on his just for fun to see what it says. Never knew glass had production dates and such too.

warmpancakes

pretty much every part has a date and supplier code on it, prototype trucks all bets are off cause they are usually hand built but there are photos out there of them when they left PAS from the auction house

JaySS

Relying solely on RPO codes to verify a particular configuration is a risky proposition because there are often individual features that are included as part of a higher level option.

To put it into terms that some might better understand - AFAIK there is no specific RPO code for the windshield in the C4 ZR-1’s, yet it is common knowledge that they are different than the L98/LT1 cars.

Parts books, while usually helpful, should not be considered as the last word on a particular factory configuration either. Often application specific parts installed at the factory default to a generic part to reduce the number of line items that must be serviced. This is most often seen after a vehicle has been out of production for some time, but some parts never do make it to the books.

Suspension bushings & body mounts are just two examples of items that were often very package specific at the point of manufacture, but the parts manual may never list more than one or two service replacements choices for the entire car line.

Long & short of it – Unless you can locate the manufacturer / supplier internal documents to prove it either way, start tabulating original trucks to find the real answers.

- J

AutoVation

Don't put tires of different heights on your SyTy. Taller or shorter tires in the front or back will cause problems with your transfer case.

Sy644

DEAF Syclone

How often to do tune up as new spark plugs, wires and cap/rotor?
My Sy tempature read low so ur6 will be better? All stock just MSD ign box.

SytySada

Nice write-up. New member here, I own Typhoon #1951(my second Typhoon, first was #1040) and my first Syclone #2769. Thank you everyone all for the knowledge that is provided in this forum. It feels great to become a SyTy owner once again.

I didn't read this whole thread. But if your tackhdoesn't jump when you are cranking it over, you need a new ignition module.

Keith Meeks

I have a quick question. I noticed that the notes from many years ago says synthetic transmission fluid is not recommended. Does that still stand true with these trucks? If so, can someone explain why? I’m trying to learn as much as I can about these trucks and I’m just curious as I am a big Amsoil fan. Thank you

Last edited:

Dan B

I have a quick question. I noticed that the notes from many years ago says synthetic transmission fluid is not recommended. Does that still stand true with these trucks? If so, can someone explain why? I’m trying to learn as much as I can about these trucks and I’m just curious as I am a big Amsoil fan. Thank you
Curious as well..