Turbo 4.3 into 5th Gen 'Camino

BstedElky

Donating Member
Picked up a Turbo 4.3, 700r4, and assorted goodies. Working on tearing it down to clean it back up and load it in to my El Camino. my Camino already has the 4.3 TBI, so most of the swap will be "easier", plus I've had the engine not too long ago. Should be interesting, appreciate the help and support I know you guys will offer.

TrendSetter

Organ donor in training
Re: Turbo 4.3 into 5th Gen 'Camino

what is a 5th gen? i thought the g-bodies were 4th. in the chevelle world the 73-77s were considered 3rd. i drove a 73 all through high school and sold it off as a 25.5 car.

BstedElky

Donating Member

5th Gens are 78-87 model years. 77 was last year of the wide bodies.

Anarchy99

I read too fast...
I saw into 5th gen and assumed you were putting it into a new Camaro... Made me throw up a little

BstedElky

Donating Member

Is it normal for the head coolant ports to look like this? This is the blocked port at the intake.

BstedElky

Donating Member

Waiting on Bolts and gaskets to put the heads back on. Anyone have a line on an alternator bracket? One of the tangs on the incoming engine was snapped off.

BstedElky

Donating Member

Got the bracket, doing some light lapping. Here is a before photo.

BstedElky

Donating Member

Tried to get a new wheel for the turbo since the blade was kacked by the previous owner, nut was siezed and snapped the center shaft. Looked like a knock-off anyway, so new turbo at the house, but I'm on travel so no working on it for a bit. *sigh*

BstedElky

Donating Member

Yeah, just on a hard time crunch for May. Still need to get the downpipe bent/welded to mate up with my stock exhaust. Previous owner went to larger diameter pipe partway down with no cat. I also have the 255 walbro to install, but have to redo some of the fittings since the stocker only puts out a measley 15psi.

MotoCam360

Hey BstedElky,

Please send me a price on the spare ECU delivered to Seattle.

Thanks,

Tim

BstedElky

Donating Member

Hey BstedElky,

Please send me a price on the spare ECU delivered to Seattle.

Thanks,

Tim
Tim,
As soon as I get back and verify the ECU is what you need, I will get you a price. I'm on travel at the moment. I'll get back to you this weekend. Sorry for the delay.

Mahalo,
Mario