update: AutoX in Typhoon

5678TA

Re: update: AutoX in Typhoon

looks like sooo much fun!! i would take the IS300 to a course but she understeers like no ones business. i almost feel like the Ty had better handling. :tdown: thats why shes a show car, not a go car.

SYO237

SyTy Registry

looks like sooo much fun!! i would take the IS300 to a course but she understeers like no ones business. i almost feel like the Ty had better handling. :tdown: thats why shes a show car, not a go car.

Dude. I race the Syclone, the king of understeer. It doesnt stop me.

Get out there and race the shit out of the 300. :tup:

SYO237

SyTy Registry

Damn man, that is a lot more people driving than I thought it would be! I was thinking like 20 or 30 people maybe.

Cam

In my region, its not uncommon to have 3-4 seperate heats, which is anywhere from 50-80 cars.

V8 Sonoma GT

Mile High SyTy

not so recent update, was busy moving and forgot to post. my time was faster than both my friends who got me into autoX, one in a 350z, other a 944s (if i had not tagged 2 cones lol). but this, my last run, improved 3 seconds over previous runs

nastety92

Great runs, thanks for sharing the video. That bov is loud and I bet that is a very hot event.

V8 Sonoma GT

Mile High SyTy

thats just the turbo surging lol. i have a turboXS BOV that ill be putting on shortly.. temp that day, 70s (ish)

killa66cam

RIDIN DIRTY

Was that from the same day you raced in the other videos, or just at the same place?

Cam

T-Bone

Ron, I have refrained from commenting but your last posted video reflected a much improved approach to the course. Just one suggestion; set up for your transitions a bit earlier and try not to brake (or decelerate) while transitioning. The weight transfer added to the existing inertia will add precious time to your overall run because it forces you to run wider AND you are not maintaining your momentum.

Set your entry speed appropriately and accelerate through and out of the curves and you will see a reduction in overall time. As you progress in your development, you can even moderate the brakes in a curve while accelerating to load (weight) the front and increase traction when the Ty begins to push through the curve. All this requires is a proportioning valve, alert focus and practice.

Personally, I would lower the PSI from 40 to around 32 but a lot depends on the track, weather, set-up of the truck, etc. Regardless, 40 is too high!!

Keep at it though :tup:. You exhibit a lot of natural Auto-X talent already but what do I know ;)

T-Bone

Re: AutoX in Typhoon

I try to get a run in as many different cars as possible. This year has been good....Mazdaspeed Miatas.

Curious what your impression was with the "girly" car on a Auto-X course? I bought a nicely modified one 4 months ago and have been thoroughly impressed with it on the TN twisties so far.

sytyguy

Moderated User

Curious what your impression was with the "girly" car on a Auto-X course? I bought a nicely modified one 4 months ago and have been thoroughly impressed with it on the TN twisties so far.
Plenty of power, typical Miata handling, but the gearing is not ideal for a "big boy" course. Most cars I drive can be left in 2nd or 3rd throughout the whole course once you get up to speed. The MSM suffers from needing both of those gears a lot throughout the course. I ran it twice, once on a longer, faster course and once on a tight, technical course. It shined on the latter, not so much on the former. It *can* be a Nationally competitive car, but it's not as easy to put there as some of it's competition. It's a fun car, but can be a blast with an ECU reflash (to lift rev limiter), FMIC, FSB, and a gearing change. Not in the budget for most owners who don't compete heavily, so I'd just get better at shifting quickly or live on the limiter. :D