What is code59?

JSM

I got a PM asking this question so I thought I would post this for everybody.

Johnny are you not paying attention in class again? :tup:

When the GM computer gurus wrote the code for our trucks they labeled it 58.

Other codes gm used in other cars are 0d, 81 3f, etc etc.

What Dig and a few of us have worked on is taking the original code (aka 58) and modify it, and improve on the code itself. GM never used 59 as a label so we used that to label our code.

When you hear "chip" such as ultimate, ATR, billy bob, etc. They have gone in and changed the tune parameters. Such as how much fuel it gets (for bigger injectors) or how much spark.

When we change the code we change things like how does the computer calculate how much fuel. Or extend the fuel data so instead of 81 data points it has stock for fuel lookup, we now have 512 data points. Another example is in testing right now, "Spool up mode", so when the computer detects your trying to launch your truck it will change the amount of fuel and timing to help the turbo spool. This is a feature GM never even thought of. (A lot more things are changed, this is just a very small sample)

Additionally we have created additional software/files external to help support and tune each truck. Tuning is always something if you don't understand you are afraid of it and think it is a black art or magic. We have tried to provide tools to guide anybody that has a desire to learn how to use these tools, how to tune, and how to make your vehicle not only maybe be faster if that is your goal, but maybe more important drive smoother, idle better, and just run like it should.

Ty1642

Re: What is code59?

OK, since this is a sticky, I'll ask the obvious next question:

Where do I go to find out more?

I've briefly looked on www.code59.org and didn't see any obvious starting point for a complete beginner to understand what's needed. Are there some sort of directions in the latest download file on the site?

nello

i got all the code59 hardware connected, everything is talking, tested a couple different bins, using tunerproRT, ect.
I next start testing my knock sensor, its working, seeing counts being added in both TunerPro and DM (not at the same time). What is the reason I don't see any spark retard though? Any ideas on what to start looking for? I don't need another Kenne belle chip. :(

I did the same test with stock 2bar tune, monitored spark retard no problem.

Last edited:

ostrich

Guy's,

This code works grea!! Using it on a Camaro, best tuning have ever had. Just make sure you follow some the sticky's there. i.e. 3-bar map etc., Autotune instructions, download one of the existing bins to start, change the BPC to idle at 14.7, run Autotune to help tune it. Pretty easy to get up & running fast.

Ostrich

Drewhen

Hey guys, Syty newb here. Im mechanically inclined but unfortunately not electronically. So, Im looking at all the tuning software and sites. So to make sure Im straight, Datamaster and tunerpro are just programs that allow playback and logging correct? Im looking at getting datamaster and their aldl cable. What do I actually need to manipulate my tune with .bin files? How do I load the bin files to my ecu? I have been searching and Im guessing this is common knowledge. But Im a computer tard. Any help would be much appreciated. I built my ls1 and then took it to a tuner to have the computer stuff done. So, I will be learning on a 30k stock syclone. I will be very patient and slow.

Thanks,
Andrew

powercat6

Hey guys, Syty newb here. Im mechanically inclined but unfortunately not electronically. So, Im looking at all the tuning software and sites. So to make sure Im straight, Datamaster and tunerpro are just programs that allow playback and logging correct? Im looking at getting datamaster and their aldl cable. What do I actually need to manipulate my tune with .bin files? How do I load the bin files to my ecu? I have been searching and Im guessing this is common knowledge. But Im a computer tard. Any help would be much appreciated. I built my ls1 and then took it to a tuner to have the computer stuff done. So, I will be learning on a 30k stock syclone. I will be very patient and slow.

Thanks,
Andrew

I have no experience using Code59, but here is the starting point for equipment:

http://www.code59.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=26&Itemid=55

solidrockperformance

NO !!! back back !!!

Hey twin turbo- This is kinda off, but I get from your posts that you burn chips? I was just curious as to if you did anything for non- syty stuff? I bought my girlfriend a 01 blazer xtreme for her birthday, and was curious if you had anything for that application? It has basically the same engine minus the turbo?
Thanks

JSM

Yep it shares 6 pistons, 2 heads, and in intake (drasitcally different than ours).

O yea the computer is as similar to our as an apple is to an IBM.

You need to look at other sites tailored toward them, HP tuners would be one direction I would head. Not my area of expertise.