Wideband

Dan B

Please understand I'm in curiosity/learning mode, it's been made very clear that these trucks are best left stock by some very knowledgeable people.. understood but for the sake of discussion what is the benefit to wiring a wide and device to the pcm? Would you need an aftermarket chip to do so?

Goodgollyjosh

Wyosyclone walked me through this process. I performed it on my truck. It allows you to datalog the wideband through the ALDL cable using what ever software you have. In my case, I have tunerpro RT with code 59 on top of that. Also, I have heard that if you run a turbotweak chip you can remove the narrow band O2 sensor and install the wideband as your primary sensor and the turbotweak will adjust AFR using that instead but I have no first hand experience with that.

Goodgollyjosh

Oh, and to answer your other question. There is a empty pin on the back of the ECM that you can use. Here is the link for instructions:

Goodgollyjosh

BTW, I do not have a PLX wideband, it is an AEM model, but I provided wyosyclone with my model number for the sensor and gauge and he was able to make whatever adjustments were necessary to get it to read. The man is a genius I tell ya.

Goodgollyjosh

It has the ability to read AFR into a range that the narrowband cannot. In otherwords, say you are trying to tune for 11.0 to 11.5 AFR at WOT, the wideband will read that rich, the narrowband cannot. It will read stoichiometric and a small amount in each direction, both leaner and richer, but not much beyond that.

I don't think the narrowband works at all during WOT. I think the fueling works off an algorithm at WOT that using things like MAP, RPM, TPS, and other sensors to determine where the fueling needs to be. But, I am more of an OBDII guy, so this has been a learning curve for me as well. Maybe one of the old timers can chime in.

Sy2622

Wideband is the way to go to truly dial in these trucks. You can get them to run really well with narrow band though.
The wideband gives you a better picture of the fuel trim under transient conditions i.e. anything other than part throttle operation.
The wideband is utilized to adjust the fuel maps during emulation. Again a much better picture of the actual fuel condition. Narrow only reacts to a condition due to it only reading 14.6-14.8. wideband reads a much wide band from anywhere from 22 to 9 depending on the sensor itself. This range gives you the ability add or subtract fuel due to knowing where the table peeked as opposed to guessing until you get back into the narrow bands range. After the trim tables are adjusted a chip will have to be burned with the new tables.
From what I understand is the TT chips have the abilities to change the fuel multiplier by changing the dial in the associated table on the chip itself.
Both the TT chip and the above mentioned wideband systems send a simulated narrow band signal to the ecu.
The only plug and play wideband set up that I'm aware of is MotoCams ecu.

MotoCam360

That is correct in reference to our system - Stage 1, 2, or 3.
Our ecu is plug n play for syty, but we do expect that the user installs a wideband O2/controller and utilize the factory O2 data line to get the info thru the vehicle harness to our ecu's O2 input.

Rexxenexx

Found 0.1uF 50V ceramic caps are what PLX recommends (AND COMES WITH) another one of their devices. Dunno why they don’t include it with the Sm-AFR DM-6 combo. Super lame. So something like this 237D1DE9-CBDA-4555-865A-25224CAB81E5.jpegwill be perfect.