'92 Typhoon in Siberia

bonesdmz

In Mother Russia Typhoon drives You!
Re: '92 Typhoon in Siberia

Okay, so I sawed off 2 mms of stripped thread, everything went fine after that. Bled the brakes, took Ty for a ride.

Well, I can't say I'm very impressed with pedal feeling, but its better than before. Braking power is also better now (this could be new Raybestos advanced technology pads).

bonesdmz

Sure, brakes are just fine. They will lockup all wheels in a sec, no problem here. Maybe I was expecting a little too much from all this braided stuff :)
Anyway, brakes are definitely better now, and I'll stop whining in a couple of days :)

bonesdmz

What next tavarisch? :D
T-case. I've got all the parts, so maybe I'll try to drop tc on saturday. Don't sure when I'll finish though. :)

Looks like my balancer has slipped. I tried to set the timing after I put in new ICM. Timing mark is perfectly stable (it wasn't before), but nowhere near TDC point. I just can't rotate distrib to bring it there, engine dies.

And yeah, my muffler finally rusted through. I'm thinking of a new Magnaflow 14359 unit. A little overkill for now, but I don't want to do it twice. And maybe I will add high-flow catalytic converter, too. This should make truck more quiet, and yeah, it'll help saving the planet :tup:

Last edited:

bonesdmz

Okay, so. I found a '92 Ty that's being parted out now in Russia (link). I'll post VIN later. I salvaged dashboard and bezel, door panels, shifter console, air filter box and damaged rear left corner cladding piece. All this stuff was $350 shipped.
Dash is mint!

Bezel is not as good, some ugly implants and some cracks. Pics one, two, three.

Door panels are okay, pic. Just a little crack on one of them. I bought these because mine are kinda modified like this.

Shifter console is not as good, pic. I needed this one because one of 12V sockets on mine is melted away. :)

Cladding piece is beaten up. Pic one and two. Here's pic of mine :)

Now for t-case.

Just look at the shit inside!

No ATF whatsoever. Idiots.

And two casing cracks, here and here. This is kinda bad, because I think that one of these is still leaking oil. I know a guy who's a master of TIG, he'll take care of this.

Last edited:

bonesdmz

Well, it sure looks like my new GM ICM is dead on arrival. God damn it.

Quickstop [UK]

Combating adversyty.

Mate - that sucks :(

I can't see any of your pics - I get an Error 502 - Bad gateway message.

Where did you get the ICM from?

How you found a Ty in Russia that was ready for parting out is beyond me - well done!

Keep going - I bet you are wondering what you are doing but your Ty will be very cool in the not too distant future.

I had some setbacks as well but it's fun in the end :)

bonesdmz

Mate - that sucks :(

I can't see any of your pics - I get an Error 502 - Bad gateway message.

Where did you get the ICM from?

How you found a Ty in Russia that was ready for parting out is beyond me - well done!

Keep going - I bet you are wondering what you are doing but your Ty will be very cool in the not too distant future.

I had some setbacks as well but it's fun in the end :)
Yep, pics will be fixed soon.

I bought that ICM at Rockauto, p/n is D1943A. I bet that there won't be any problem with exchange of refund, though.

Actually someone can provide a second opinion on this.
1. I swapped modules (new -> in) at the parking lot near my apartment. I messed up with the distrib in the process - turned it slightly. And I could not turn it back the right way without timing light - engine was running badly wherever I turned the distrib. It was a bit strange IMO.
2. I went to my garage (~15 miles), engine was running but CEL was on almost every second. Errors were 25, 32, 33, 42. I assume that very advanced timing could produce some of these symptoms. Some power was there, though. It was driveable.
3. Next: old ICM goes in, I lift the cap, pull 1st plug (it was white -> lean, advanced timing, okay), put some thick wire in the cylinder, and turn the crank via alternator nut. I think I found that TDC - wire was stuck inside, rotor was pointing to 1st ignition wire, and mark on the balancer was right there near 0' (note - it was not the mark marked with white paint, but another one. whatever?). Okay, so I put everything back together, turned the dist slightly back, disconnected tan wire.
4. It fired right up! Tach was flattering, but this is was old ICM, so ok. Timing light - almost there at 5-7 deg of advance, with a little flatter. I turned the distrib to make it 0 degrees, engine was still running more or less okay. Tan wire connected - fired right up, advance works just fine.
5. New ICM in. Fired okay with tan wire disconnected, timing light is rock stable at 0. Okay, I tightened the distributor using special wrench (what a PITA!), connected the wire, engine ran fine after that. Timing light -> ok.
6. I grab all my tools, change my clothes, etc. Took me 5 minutes tops. Dropped the hood. Turned the key. Nope. I turned it again, held it for 2 seconds, then added some pedal and there we go. Tach flatter right away, engine is very shaky, and there's NO power whatsoever. I floored the pedal several times when I was driving back home - nope, there's no acceleration, nothing. And not a single CEL, too.

So I think that new ICM is dead. It was working when it was cold, but then is took some heat off the distributor and died. I'd say that engine behave like there were only 3-4 cylinders working. This explains lack of power and vibrations (it also sounds very strange - like an old carburetted truck).
Next stop is to check engine tomorrow morning, when ICM is cold. And then, I think, I'll have to put my old one back in.

Last edited:

bonesdmz

Well, guess who just found 2 swapped plug wires?
Yeah, its
<--- that idiot here.

I think I owe smth to black #725 :)

bonesdmz

:oops:

So how does it run now? What's the latest with your transfer case?
Well, same as before - ICM is still bad, so rpms are bouncing up and down, it gets worse when engine is hot. But it has some power now, its driveable.

I'm searching for TC now. No luck yet :(

Had some CELs today - 32, 33 and 42. I guess bad ICM could be the reason.

bonesdmz

I wonder if factory LSD in rear diff worth rebuilding? Its kinda hard to drive this thing in winter. Very fun, but I have to be very careful picking spots to stop.

I got Ty stuck once, it was hard flat snowy surface with a little-little bump. I put one of the rear wheels on a bump, other wheel lost traction and that's it, we aren't going anywhere. It was embarrassing :)

bonesdmz

I'm moving to St. Petersburg (2nd biggest city in Russia, its located near Finland) in January. Looks like Ty stays here in Novosibirsk till late spring at least :( I'll miss him.

bonesdmz

Okay, so. Back to work.

Back in December my tranny died, and I didn't have any time to fix it, or even drop it and search for damage. In January I moved to St. Petersburg, and left crippled Ty in my father's garage :( Initial plan was to fly back home in May, and drive Ty for 2000 miles to the place I live now. Well, now its impossible. :)
I was thinking of buying a rebuild kit, new pump etc, and then fly and fix it, but that's risky. I don't know what's wrong, and if there are some stripped splines inside I won't be able to do anything. I'm kinda low on money right now, that's also a factor. That's why I'm buying generic 700r4, and putting it there as is.
It should last while I do my bodywork and TC, and then I'll bring old tranny to SPb and rebuild it.

Generic 700r4 costs about $700 here. I can get a Ty 700r4 for $900, but I'm not sure I will. Generic one would be more reliable, I guess...