Air to Air Intercooler How-To

Skyhighsami

GMC Typhoon #1308
Re: Air to Air Intercooler How-To

Of all the pictures the one that I like the most is Spoold Up. Only thing about that is charging all that pipe. Would you not have alot of lag with that set up? I too don't like the RPM setup because I also think it would be likely to get damaged. I would like to find out exactly what size core I would need because I refuse to loose the AC and am primarialy interested in cleaning the engine bay up.

spooldup

No lag issues at all. Dual bb gt35 strapped to it and it hits hard. It also has to do with the type of intercooler you use. Mine is what you call extruded tube and fin. It has the lowest psi drop across the board but does not cool as well as a bar and plate core. My core is also very light and bar and plate is very heavy. However having dual cores i would think it's safe to assume i am getting very good numbers if i compared it to a bar and plate core. There are pro's and cons with all a2a setups.

Skyhighsami

GMC Typhoon #1308

epix said:
DIY FMIC Parts

I've recieved quite a few requests for the parts needed to make your own A/A FMIC so I put
together this little list of items I used.

First off, doing the setup I did required me to remove the AC, trim the radiator support a bit,
and install an electric fan.

The core is Sized 24"X12"X3" with an overall Size 31"x12"x3"using 3" Inlet & Outlet, cost to me shipped was 128.98 from Just-Intercoolers on ebay. It came with mounting brackets as well.
justiccore.jpg

Piping is 3.0" Polished Alumuinum , I bought the kit on ebay for $146.99 shipped from the seller Just-Intercoolers, the kit came with pipe and choice of silicone it came with standard clamps but I replaced them with much better T-Bolt style clamps.
justicpipe.jpg

Pipe: total 8 pieces
1x 75 3.0"
1x U Bend 3.0"
3x 90 3.0"
3x Straight 3.0"
1x U Bend 3.0"

I remember having leftover pipe, next time I look at my engine I'll note what actual pipes I used.

I bought the T-Bolt Clamps and certain hoses from www.siliconeintakes.com and needed the following:

17x 3.0" @ $2.60 each
1x 4.0"
1x 2.0"
Cost of clamps = $49.40

Silicone Hoses needed:
1x Silicone Reducer, 3.0" to 2.0" - $12.99
1x Silicone Reducer, 4.0" to 3.0" - $12.99
3x 3.0" Silicone 90° Elbow - $50.97
Total Cost of Silicone Hoses: 76.95

Electric Fan: Perma-Cool 16" 2950CFM - $115.99 at Summitracing.com

Completed Look:
PICT0013-1.jpg

PICT0009-1.jpg

Total Cost: $518.31 - of course your cost might be a little different on how you do it.
Is there anyway you could use this same IC and keep the AC? I have a friend that is selling on that he desided not to use the same size but I have to keep the AC. Family hotrod

epix

Typhoon

Skyhighsami said:
Is there anyway you could use this same IC and keep the AC? I have a friend that is selling on that he desided not to use the same size but I have to keep the AC. Family hotrod
ya, you could route the pipe from the drivers side with a sharp U-bend behind the upper intake much like the McCoy A2A setup.. if you went down to a 2.5" piping you could get more clearance also.

Skyhighsami

GMC Typhoon #1308

I will see what the guy wants for his IC and look at it to see how much mods will be needed to make it work. The number one reason for me is to clean up the engine bay, the number 2 reason is the added power. So when you say route it from the driver's side you mean kind of what Spoold Up has?

skwayb

NWSTP

Skyhighsami said:

I don't have the AC in mine but but I am using the AC Radiator as my tranny cooler with the same FMIC Setup as this one. The AC Rad. will remain if you have AC so you can see the FMIC will fit. I have some better pictures just haven't put them up anywhere yet.

A2A1.jpg

A2A9.jpg

A2A5.jpg

Skyhighsami

GMC Typhoon #1308

Please show me some better pictures of what you did on the rad. support and exactly how you ran all the pipes if you have detailed pictures. Thanks

skwayb

NWSTP

Yep. You can reclock the stock turbo if you remove the little pin that lines it up to the compressor housing to stock position.

Renz sells a mounting kit for wastegate actuator so you have a place to mount it when it is reclocked.
http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51442&highlight=bracket

Also you probably don't need 3" tubing for the A2A or a 3" IN/OUT on the FMIC since the comrpessor output is 2". If you got 2" tubing and a IC with 2" in/out you should be ok. Also you could get away with smaller core since the stock turbo doesn't need one that big. Then you wouldn't need to hack up the core. Heck it could even only be 2-2.5" think and you would be ok.

I would get one like ViciousV6 has and run the IC tubes down underneath the radior and up since you will have the lower IC removed. Then the core support wouldn't need to be cut up. Lots of options.

Pic574.jpg

skwayb

NWSTP

It took me 3 weeks to put mine in working on it a couple of hours each night. Mainly because I was also doing a turbo and Downpipe swap. Didn't help that I decided to put AN lines on everything. Also I didn't have the best tools for cutting either. The dremel isn't the best cutter but it worked. I think you could do it in 2 weekends or quicker if you had everything in hand. Especially if you went the route that viciousv6 went. No cutting and just botl everythign in and cut some IC tubes to fit.

Skyhighsami

GMC Typhoon #1308

SkwayB is that the set up you have on yours? If so were you able to keep your ac and what are the measurements on the core? I found on Ebay where they sale Precision cores for alot less than the retail. I had a friend with a turbo Civic that gained 100whp by changing from a Ebay intercooler to a Precision IC. I wouldn't have believed it either but saw it with my own eyes. I guess the Ebay IC wasn't as efficent at cooling as the PTE.

Flyin Ryan

hated cuz he drives fords

Skyhighsami said:
SkwayB is that the set up you have on yours? If so were you able to keep your ac and what are the measurements on the core? I found on Ebay where they sale Precision cores for alot less than the retail. I had a friend with a turbo Civic that gained 100whp by changing from a Ebay intercooler to a Precision IC. I wouldn't have believed it either but saw it with my own eyes. I guess the Ebay IC wasn't as efficent at cooling as the PTE.

That front mount setup pictured in post #51 is Ralph's (viciousv6) setup and no it's not ac friendly especially since it's in the space that the ac condenser would normally be I would imagine.. but it is the nicest fmic setup i've seen for these trucks without a doubt

skwayb

NWSTP

Skyhighsami said:

I used the same A2A that Epix did. I still have the AC Radiator on mine since I am using it as a tranny cooler. So I am pretty sure you could get the one Ralph used to work.

Last edited:

Mario65

Hotrodicus Supersonicus

My truck was one that had this install started and not completed and I should have it wrapped up in a couple of weeks(doing other stuff too). I can post to tis if EPIX would like since its his thread if not I can start another. I plan to have a/c with the same cooler and piping.

epix

Typhoon

feel free to post here, it would be great to see how others have their A2A set up.

Mario65

Hotrodicus Supersonicus

I am finishing a project here http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60366.

I plan to finish this Air to Air.
I plan to have A/C and since I will have to move the cooler forward I had to modify the hood support bracket. I had a guy cut it and weld a plate to the back to have room for 2 more bolts. It sits on there great and works perfect. I also had the turbo polished. When I get the front mount, brackets, alternator, and some other stuf back from the polisher and powder coater(I expect tomorrow). I should start putting it back together and hopefully have it off to Waller for wiring, plumbing and tuning. This is what I have now.

Library - 7319.jpg

Library - 7312.jpg

Library - 7313.jpg

Mario65

Hotrodicus Supersonicus

Got it ready for Waller now. All the parts I was waiting for came in. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. Pics arent as nice as I'd like because the sun was too bright so I had to use flash and close the garage door. Any way pics are here.

tyfab.transams.net
tyfab.transams.net

A COuple of pics
26.jpg

29.jpg