Air to Air Intercooler How-To

91blazins10

Re: Air to Air Intercooler How-To

Im bringing this thread back. I have a Question to ask to everyone that mounted there Intercooler infront of the radiator, I mounted mine like this and always have over heating problems. I even have dual electric fans on there running constantly, and it still over heats, im using the same size core as epix. I know its this intercooler because it never did it with the stock setup. So the Question is anyone else having problems with overheating with intercooler in front of the radiator?

vortecfiero

most of the successful setups leave about an inch between the IC and the rad
they also have a shroud around the front of the IC to force more air through it
instead of around it... this in turn puts more air through that part of the rad that
is blocked by the IC

Syclone#2960

What ever it takes!!

You must get the pipes with the beaded ends...otherwise you will be blowing the hoses off every time like I am. Even with t-bolt clamps.

kjohnson54

You guys need to connect your pipes behind the front bumper. This is how mine is setup. I didn't have to cut any holes for pipes. The only thing i had to cut was the core support brace in the middle. Here maybe these pics will help come up with other idea's.

upper_ic_rear.jpg

upper_ic_front.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

cas_dual_air_to_air.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010007s.jpg

Please post where you got all those parts and dimensions. I love this combo!!

Don W.

Stab it and steer it

Trivia: I recently ran my truck briefly without the intercooler. (Lower rad started leaking) IATs went to 230* Wow. Amazing that our stock IC can lower temps as much as it does. Over 100* drop even at full throttle. Depending on how long you stay at FT of course.

Damian

The only problem I see with that kit is the upper intercooler is pretty much useless. Air is going to take the path of least resistance, its not going to go up and then back down.

Black Knight

I Glow Therefore I am

The only problem I see with that kit is the upper intercooler is pretty much useless. Air is going to take the path of least resistance, its not going to go up and then back down.

I guess if the lower is overworked the upper will pick up the slack, but this seems like a lot of extra stuff to over complicate the issue, since you can fit an extremely large intercooler behind the grill.

Z SKI

Donating Member

Doesn't the entire system get filled with pressurized air??? If so, it would most likely flow through both???

SY2932

Administrator

Trivia: I recently ran my truck briefly without the intercooler. (Lower rad started leaking) IATs went to 230* Wow. Amazing that our stock IC can lower temps as much as it does. Over 100* drop even at full throttle. Depending on how long you stay at FT of course.

That's quite a difference. Should be no surprise that you will get detonation with an intercooler in non working order... Water conducts heat around 25 times more efficiently than air does. Even though it can be a pain with the plumbing and whatnot, my truck will always have a water to air intercooler.

littleblackpsycho

Donating Member

I totally agree with mike Campbell on this one. I've owned and tested the stock w2a, rpm a2a, a precision 24 inch core that I made the piping for, and the same 31" core configuration that is in this post. I've never had any overheating issues with any front mounts. The lowest and most constant intake temps I've had is with the one I have now. I use the stock w2a upper, a radiator out of a vw passat, and a 12v rv transfer pump and water wetter. I have 0 lag which I don't care what anyone says I can tell a difference between an air to air and the short sweep of the stocker not huge but it's definitely there. This setup out performs anything I have tried so far, and the 26 3/4" precision out performed the ebay 31".

Last edited:

Damian

Doesn't the entire system get filled with pressurized air??? If so, it would most likely flow through both???

The only way to really tell is do a run, and use a temp gun and look at the temps on the inlet and outlet on both and see what you get. A better way is to remove the upper and see if your AITs even change. My money is that they don't.

SY2932;n1577637 said:

That's quite a difference. Should be no surprise that you will get detonation with an intercooler in non working order... Water conducts heat around 25 times more efficiently than air does. Even though it can be a pain with the plumbing and whatnot, my truck will always have a water to air intercooler.

Like my Boat, Ty and former Alfa Romeo 75 (Milano) Turbo