Billet Hood Strut Kit GP

QWK STRM

1889 92Ty
Re: Billet Hood Strut Kit GP

Funny I just did the same thing yesterday shimmed the coolant and installed screws from the top of the blocks. Works great now.

MotoCam360

Can you post some photos for others to see?

I didn't have to do that for my truck, but maybe it's a good idea to update the instructions with these alternatives to accommodate the mfg differences from truck to truck

Jay92Ty

Donating Member

Can you post some photos for others to see?

I didn't have to do that for my truck, but maybe it's a good idea to update the instructions with these alternatives to accommodate the mfg differences from truck to truck
Worked for me..so it may work for others:D

Sean Krupa

Would like to purchase a kit. Please let me know if you still have a kit available.

Thanks

anryo

Donating Member

We've only shipped a few kits over the last year for "fiberglass" customers. We gave those customers the same struts as what you received and we haven't heard any complaints from anybody thus far. However, since all fiberglass is not created equal (# of layers = weight), it's easy to see that the force is too high for your specific application.
What is the length and force of your struts and what are the measurements for the fixing points for the struts? It is not that hard mathematics to calculate out the needed force, if we know the weight of the custom hood.
I can think out that formula for the calculations, which can be used in the future, if needed.

Sean Krupa

Here's some pics of mine installed along with Renz Aluminum hood hinges. Polished of course.

MotoCam360

Wow, this looks amazing Sean. The Renz hood brackets compliment the install very nicely.

I would recommend flipping the struts around so the larger diameter is mounted on the hood and the smaller diameter is mounted on the fender. This is the orientation the inner seals are designed for, and it should help with end-of-stroke dampening too.

Sean Krupa

Wow, this looks amazing Sean. The Renz hood brackets compliment the install very nicely.

I would recommend flipping the struts around so the larger diameter is mounted on the hood and the smaller diameter is mounted on the fender. This is the orientation the inner seals are designed for, and it should help with end-of-stroke dampening too.
I had some clearance issues with them flipped the other way according to your instructions. The body of the shock was rubbing on the inside of the fender lip. Not quite sure why but the struts work just fine the way I have them and you made a very nice kit.:D

Static

The body of these look good wrapped in carbon fiber tape also. Seen some at a car show a while back.

Last edited:

MotoCam360

Hmm... I wonder if the Renz fab brackets are a little different, or our fender block location measurement is off a hair? You asked for a measurement with the wiper cowl still installed to make things easier, so I wonder if we need to remeasure?

Anyhow, your truck looks amazing!!

Sean Krupa

Hmm... I wonder if the Renz fab brackets are a little different, or our fender block location measurement is off a hair? You asked for a measurement with the wiper cowl still installed to make things easier, so I wonder if we need to remeasure?

Anyhow, your truck looks amazing!!
It's all good and thank you again.