Blazer/Jimmy + Safari Van =Typhoon(sorta)?

EyeRoll88

hello all. just found syty and signed up. always had asperations of owning a typhoon. just hasnt happened yet. however, i do have a project in the planning phase that may help me get my fix. heres my idea.
get a blazer or a jimmy in good shape as a solid base to start with. swap in the awd system from an awd safari van. and im hoping to do it as a direct bolt up swap(hopefully). i had briefly considered a v8 swap as well but im thinking between space and stress on the drivetrain that it probably isnt the best idea. i have considered a 4l80 swap which would fix a potential week link. looking for some advice on the logistics of it.

What am i looking at in terms of parts compatability?
does the 2dr wheel base match up with the safari or am i looking at shortening(or lengthening) the driveshaft?
Will the awd computer from the safari plug right into the 4wd harness on my blazer(and function properly)?

im sure ill have more questions as i progress. n e thing i forgot or need to kno plz, im all ears. if anyone has ever done this successfully, that would b a great source of info as well. ty all. looking forward to your responses

Thunder_Lloyd

you could use a transfer case and driveshaft from a bravada. also grab the passenger front axle and tube while you're at it. LS might be your best option because if you want any real power. These 4.3's aren't easy/cheap to build

Zach5656

I'm gearing up to do relatively the same thing. I have a 1987 GMC Jimmy that I’m starting to accumulate parts for an AWD LS swap. I'm going to a local U-Pull yard and grabbing a transfer case (4472), driveshafts, and front half axle to do the AWD swap. As for the LS side of things. I have a L59(5.3) from a complete 2005 1500 parts truck. As for transmission, I have no idea if I will be running the 4l60e that's in the parts truck until it kicks the bucket, or finding a 4l80e. I will be prepping the L59 for a lot of boost via a summit turbo. For now though, I'm still trying to figure out the whole LS swap into a AWD/4WD Jimmy. I simply need to figure out motor mounts, crossmember, and hood clearance from the intake and accessories before I start to pull the parts truck and Jimmy apart.

Also the front differential and the transfer case from the swap can handle crazy amounts of power in AWD configuration. Limiting factor on the swap will be transmission, rear differential (if it has a locker), and eventually grip.

Also here is a very helpful link from an S10 form for the AWD swap.
https://www.s10forum.com/threads/awd-conversion.515441/

IMG_6243.jpeg

EyeRoll88

I'm gearing up to do relatively the same thing. I have a 1987 GMC Jimmy that I’m starting to accumulate parts for an AWD LS swap. I'm going to a local U-Pull yard and grabbing a transfer case (4472), driveshafts, and front half axle to do the AWD swap. As for the LS side of things. I have a L59(5.3) from a complete 2005 1500 parts truck. As for transmission, I have no idea if I will be running the 4l60e that's in the parts truck until it kicks the bucket, or finding a 4l80e. I will be prepping the L59 for a lot of boost via a summit turbo. For now though, I'm still trying to figure out the whole LS swap into a AWD/4WD Jimmy. I simply need to figure out motor mounts, crossmember, and hood clearance from the intake and accessories before I start to pull the parts truck and Jimmy apart.

Also the front differential and the transfer case from the swap can handle crazy amounts of power in AWD configuration. Limiting factor on the swap will be transmission, rear differential (if it has a locker), and eventually grip.

Also here is a very helpful link from an S10 form for the AWD swap.
https://www.s10forum.com/threads/awd-conversion.515441/

View attachment 1865146
they sell motor mount conversion kits specifically for s10/blazer platforms. one thing im not sure of is whether the kits work for swapping out the 4 bangers. i kno it will work for 4.3 trucks for sure. there is also a company u should check out called RPM(Race Proven Motors). they have a whole line of products specifically for syty. they have transmission adaptor plates, twin turbo conversion parts, lsx swap parts, efi conversions, 4l80 crossmembers and adaptor plates, torsion bar delete parts, and more. a lot of what u will need is there

gmemony2

FYI, RPM doesn't really make anything for Sy/ty anymore unless it's a big group buy. Not sure why the website is still up really.