DIY- Replacing the Turbocharger in a '92 Typhoon

turbo_tuna

Re: DIY- Replacing the Turbocharger in a '92 Typhoon

Update:

Turbo is almost off. Having clearance issues with the down pipe. The upper left hand bolt for the lower turbo mount was a nightmare, If anyone has a suggestion for tool for reassembly please advise. I used a box end wrench and the angle was not good because of the frame. Somehow I got lucky and moved it one tooth at a time. This is not a good option for reassembly.

So while I am at it I am noticing a few things I should do while everything is apart, There is a rubber coolant host that passed under the battery tray that makes an S bend. I suspect that a factory replacement is no longer available. Does anyone have a workaround?

I will post pictures later today.

Don W.

Stab it and steer it

On that nut just remove the AC compressor bracket like I suggested earlier. You can remove the compressor from the bracket without disconnecting the hoses. Worth the effort IMO. Time wasted on that nut is better spent removing the bracket.

Sportmachines for that hose?

turbo_tuna

Got it out. I had to remove the bolt that attached the down pipe to the frame and struggled between the two sets of studs to free the unit from the mount. Unfortunately I rounded the threads on one of the studs for the down pipe flange. Off to sportmachines,

It looks like I will be replacing plugs and wires while I am in there. A few of the wires had melting on the insulation from the exhaust manifold. If anyone can recommend a good set of wires please chime in.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Don W.

Stab it and steer it

I like Magnecor, others have used MSD with success apparently. Taylor was recommended for a number of years, seems to not show up here much anymore.

sae

Donating Member

I recommend the RPM wires for fit and finish but they're expensive at $125. The boots and protectors are a perfect fit, none of the wires are close to the manifolds or downpipe.

jaystcb

Sy 0902, 92Ty 0909

ok. This is not the reccomend way. But it works great. and you can pull it out in about 15 minutes.

1) block rear wheels and jack the front up on stands. turn your wheels to the right.
2) remove black turbo to innercooler hose.
3) remove orange boot and cross tube.
4) remove wastegate pin and detach rod. (you can remove the wastegate... if you want)
5) remove battery
6) on turbo, loosen and remove any oil/coolant lines that you can reach. Note ziptie a balloon over the hoses and turbo fittings to keep from making a mess.
7) i dont think im forgetting anything. so. now remove the v-clamp off of the turbo. if you cant remove it completely. don't worry. just remove the bolt and make sure the clamp is loose.
8) tap the side of the center housing and the back of the intake housing tordes the front of vehicle with a led hammer while holding the turbo. when it comes lose. You will have enough room to remove the other oil/coolant lines. Then slide the turbo out. there is only about 1/32 clearance when removing the turbo out this way. you will havd to be very careful not to damage the exhaust fins. you will have to turn and rotate the turbo to get it out from under the a/c lines.

now install your new turbo into the old exhaust housing.

Or if you want to remove the old exhaust housing and install a new one... you can actually get to the bolts. :)

i have done this several times in my trucks. It takes about 15-20 minutes to remove it your first time. I can now do it in 10 min.

Last edited:

turbo_tuna

Answer:

washer size = M14. NAPA was best source as they sell them individually. Chain auto part stores sell them as accessory kits containing several sizes and only one of each necessitating the purchase of two packages.

I am getting ready to reinstall the turbo. Does anyone have the dimensions for the copper crush washers? I still
have the old ones, but do not know if they can be reused they look worn and thin.

Last edited:

turbo_tuna

Update: So I got the turbo mostly installed and snapped one of the turbo not studs when tightening to the 41 pound spec as specified. I should have known better as I felt the studs weakening. What spec should I use to prevent this? I am extremely frustrated that I have to remove everything again.