Exhaust Suggestions

ndburli

Hey guys...currently have a Borla muffler with stock cat. Any suggestions to add a little rumble? I thought about removing the muffler or possibly doing turndowns under the truck. No matter what I have heard leaving the cat is a must with the turbo correct?

SYCLONE#1531

'MOFOFAST
Re: Exhaust Suggestions

yes you definetely need to keep your conv on a stock turboed truck. You could ditch the muffler for a little more sound. Alot of people run their trucks without mufflers on the forum. I run mine with just a aluminum straight pipe . It comes down to your sound preference...
Heres a sound file of mine...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxNSlhiHYJg

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3

My Borla was nice and quiet with a stock turbo & DP with a high flow cat. I added a pte turbo and 3" DP with high flow cat and got very loud.

ndburli

Great suggestions! On a stock truck is it possible to run it straight out? I thought I needed backpressure due to the turbo...again I am a noob when it comes to turbo stuff so please enlighten me. Is there any potential to get rid of the cat on a stock truck...and will it flash a light due to O2 sensors? Thanks again for the help..and the video was a big help!

ndburli

forgot to add...I have no emissions where I live so emissions is not a problem at all

BoostedSUV

The problem with running no cat with the stock turbo is boost control issues. You will have problems with over boosting without the cat and an inadequate boost control system. That is the primary concern with running our trucks catless.

ndburli

so the answer is to only remove the muffler and leave the cat, leave the Borla I have currently, or change out the turbo? Is that correct?

Flyin Ryan

hated cuz he drives fords

install an exhaust cutout on the stock dp and open it when you want to hear the stock turbo sing but be aware that you may over boost due to weak boost control but with stock chip it'll cut fuel if that occurs.

Maybe a nice electronic boost controller would help with the boost spikes don't know my turbo's no longer stock so i never went that route

jpalmer

If its totally stock, it will overboost. 3" exhaust and a cat delete = boom. You need to open the exhaust up and run a jsm style dp or external gate to have steady control. Its how I lost my motor

ndburli

So is it possible to do an exhaust cutout where it does not mess with the boost. I would love to have the option of loud or quiet but I definitely do not want to overboost! An external wastegate and 3" downpipe is an option...would that work okay with the stock turbo?

jpalmer

So is it possible to do an exhaust cutout where it does not mess with the boost. I would love to have the option of loud or quiet but I definitely do not want to overboost! An external wastegate and 3" downpipe is an option...would that work okay with the stock turbo?
the turbo is not the problem, the wastegate is. It can't flow enough with an unrestricted exhaust. It will destroy your motor costing you thousands. a jsm (not made anymore) downpipe is a great answer if you can find one. Want ad is your best bet. You end up cutting out the back of the turbo opening it up and allowing good flow.

kmack

Donating Member

Anybody put dual exhaust on their typhoon or Syclone from the muffler back.
Leave cat and stock muffler as is.
1 big single tailpipe looks dorky in my opinion :tdown:

Flyin Ryan

hated cuz he drives fords

Anybody put dual exhaust on their typhoon or Syclone from the muffler back.
Leave cat and stock muffler as is.
1 big single tailpipe looks dorky in my opinion :tdown:
Dual exhaust looks out of place on these trucks to me and just more weight that doesn't need to be to be there but that's my opinion

It's just a six

I have run my stock turboed Sy w/no cat & a straight through muffler, it would boost spike up a few psi over what it would normally run, so if I was running 18 psi it would go to 20-21 psi, & only during right after a shift for a split second..
It would show a few degrees of knock retard then go back to 0 knock.

To eliminate the boost spike/s you would need to port open the turbine housings wastegate hole.

You do not want any back pressure in the exhaust system w/a turbo, the turbo creates enough back pressure as it is stock.

Running no cat & a straight through muffler sounds the best IMO & makes the turbo spool up so much faster,,, it is really a night & day difference.

So if you are not going to port your wastegate hole larger, it would be safer to run a cat .:2cents:

ndburli

If I just ran the Borla exhaust with no catalytic converter would it still cause spikes in the boost? I am thinking about just removing the catalytic converter all together. Thoughts?

It's just a six

If I just ran the Borla exhaust with no catalytic converter would it still cause spikes in the boost? I am thinking about just removing the catalytic converter all together. Thoughts?
Is the Borla muffler a straight through design? If so, it will most likely boost spike some.

Get the wastegate hole ported & have @ what ever exhaust you want.

Running w/no stock cat is one of the best mods you can do. It is a worth while mod, but need to be legal, "off road use only" .;)