Homecoming 2012: The Sportmachines Journey

warmpancakes

Re: Homecoming 2012: The Sportmachines Journey

Finally had a chance, and found a spot to mount the HC mailbox we won, thank to the MFG and Tyler's fumble.

IMG_1370.jpg

sweet we need to start a pool as to when somebody bangs their head on it

Sportmachines

LOL, already thought of that, its aligned with the edge of a bench. So if you smack into that thing, you're going to smash other parts of your body into the bench.

gary sy

awsome time cruznin back to ny with you guys what happaned to the pic were the road split and you guys were next to us that wes great timing ? need to have some issues fixed wit my truck ill pm you again thanks you guys are great awsome time. Gary and
Noelle :tup:

Sportmachines

They are on Dameons phone. He was snapping all kinds of pics on the ride back. Just hasn't forwarded them to me yet. I will forward them along when I get them. It was a nice cruise/caravan back.

Blazerspeed

Late to the party, but I wanted to add my thanks to you (Tom) and Dameon. You guys were awesome to shoot the shit with, and I really appreciated all the info you gave me about the front end and brake set-ups. The work you guys are doing for this community is top notch.

92TYPHOON937

i think the duramax and cummins are comoprable durability wise as long as u dont up the power on the dmax difference is cummins handle the mods better then any of the 3 and ford well we just aint goin talk about them

gary sy

i think the duramax and cummins are comoprable durability wise as long as u dont up the power on the dmax difference is cummins handle the mods better then any of the 3 and ford well we just aint goin talk about them

Yes David you are right but i still like my F-dually and i got a really good deal on it too. Oh and just for the record she made it home with 0 issues LOL :D

92TYPHOON937

i wouldnt of turned down the deal u got on it you could resell that truck n make a killing with how diesels are selling now

Sportmachines

The short answer is bad batch of fuel. I've since did a complete 50,000 mile service on the truck. Ran the tank down to the last gallon and refueled, and the syptoms, light, etc haven't returned. Also trailered again this weekend, so it experienced similar loads and it was fine. Fingers crossed.

The longer answer, before we left, I was in a frenzy at the shop so I sent my friend to fuel the truck and he ended up having to go to 3 different gas stations cause 2 of them were experiencing issues or something. So that leads me to the above assumption. I didn't cut the old ones open cause we were on the road and there was no good place to put a diesel filled filter with everything we had with us. Plus I was so focused on getting to HC and truck running normal that it only crossed my mind and I said the hell with it. The first filter, although the dash said it had 60% life left, was going to get changed with the service anyways as it was approaching 10k miles. So that one, I chalked up to getting the service it was going to anways. The second one, I left on til the change filter indicator flashed on the way back, and I bet if I left it, and just refueled it woudl have been fine, but didn't want to take a chance, get left stranded or delay our return any more than it already was, so I did it as a preventative measure. So its on the 3rd filter, in the process, but the 2nd new one. I did some invetigating and spoke with the local diesel tech at the dealership near me and he said he saw another truck, that from the same area I am with the same thing happen. He found nothing wrong, changed the filter and we both attributed it to a batch of fuel. The also indicated that there was bulletin for the fuel lines, that some have experienced collapsing and he suggested I have mine changed under warranty, but I wanted to rule out certain things first. Now that its serviced and "fine" I'll take it in and get the lines changed just to be safe.

I also think that the calibration, or the WIF sensor on the bottom of the filter might have something out of whack. Its a plastic houseing and gets swapped with every filter change, so I'm going to order one to have as a back up. If you have any other suggestions or idea, please let me know. Thanks

Sportmachines

I'm going to have the lines replaced regardless. But if its the lines, you would think there to be a "pattern" of failure. There has been no other changes to the system. The demand/pressures applied to them has been consistent and unless its reached a point of critical mass, where its going to happen more frequency, then I expect to see the code/ notice more regularly, and most likely independantly of the filter/fuel/usage etc.

Your logic on the lines makes sense. But if the filters age makes it more prone, then you would think with a new filter,or two in this case, it would alleviate the problem, until the filter reaches a similar age or service life. With the first filter change, it had the fault again within 20 miles. We put fresh fuel in it in an attempt to dilute the contamination and see if that would solve the problem. Cleared the code and the fault didn't occur again, while on the same filter for the next 600 miles. The next time was just a change fuel filter message. And if we weren't in the middle of ohio, on a sunday night, and the 36ft trailer attached, I would have dismissed it and seen if it came back on again and then cut it open to check. The circumstances dictated a saft play to get us home. Now its test and fix.

Fuel contamination, and inconsistency happens more and more often these days. I've spoken to a few diesel mechanics with 30+ years experience after having explained the scenario and the lean towards the possibility of bad fuel.

Between the filter changes, keeping a spare in the truck from now on, and the lines being changed, it hopefully alleviates any future issues. We shall see.

Beavis

Still plays with trucks

Just bought myself 2 new Wix filters today and gonna keep them in my Dmax after reading about what you guys went through. When you take it in for the lines, can you ask what/which years are effected? Mine is a new 2012, but am wondering who else migh need this and not know about it.

SY2455

70's Veteran

Agreed. I have owned most all of them.....wouldn't it be a great day if a Ford built truck with a Dodge Cummins engine and a GM Allison transmission were produced. That would be a real truck but it'll never happen !!!

However, Ford is still having problems with the diesel engine that they use in the trucks. At work we use all Ford products. (they out bid Dodge for the win and GM said we don't need your business) The biggest problems that we have is with the head gaskets and intercooler systems. With the every now and then turbo problem. Ford has yet refuse to admit to a problem with any of these areas. Who wants a $10,000 to $15,000 repair bill to fix these problems? NOT ME.

I do like the thought of the Cummins and the Allison trans, just not in a Ford because I would want someone to put the customer 1st.

Sportmachines: What kind of fuel mileage did you get on the drive when things were working right?

Sportmachines

Beavis.... mine is an 09, so LMM Duramax motor. Yours is the new urea injection motor..... good luck with that one. I've heard a lot of issues with those. Hope you don't experience any.

SY2455 - When all is well, I have found that for best MPG gotta keep it under 70mph. I usually just set the cruise at 65 and I see 16-17 unloaded, and 13ish with the 36' trailer, full. I'm itching to do the DPF delete and edge programmer, just so I can pick up a few more MPG's. It doesn't lack for power.

Beavis

Still plays with trucks

Hope I dont either, but thats what the extended warrenty is for.

Sportmachines

Well, I had a candid chat with the dealership the other day. We discussed the TSB, and the "fix" thats offered by the facotry that is basically some hose and hose clamps. I told them that with all things considered, I don't consider that an appropriate fix, that I would like the lines replace with the new, improved lines for the secitions that require it. Not cutting crimps and clamps. They were sympathetic to my request and were going to discuss with the decision maker and the deiesel tech and lmk.

At the same time I also asked for some confirmation of what exactly is covered under the rest of my warranty. Several dealerships that I've spoken to have admitted that some of the parts that could be part of the system and problem, aren't covered under the warranty. I have a problem with that, but if thats the case, I need to know so I can fix things accordingly, mod things that will ultimately make my truck run better and save me money, so that I can afford to fix what needs to be fixed when the time comes. I can keep and update on this, or if anyone has a duramax and is haveing similar concerns or issues, please get in touch. Thanks all

Sportmachines

RESOLUTION.....finally. Truck is going into the dealership. After several conversations about my concerns and expectations they are replacing the entire fuel line section with the new and imporved component and doing it under the warranty. I am pleased.