Important NATS '08 Information

AUSyTyIN

Unbusted $#it box
Re: Important NATS '08 Information

Guess its time to throw my :2cents: in. I am very disappointed that there will be no NATS this year, but I can understand the reasons behind it. Maybe we can rename Homecoming "NATScoming" or something :lol:

But seriously, I know there are a lot of members out East, but there are a butt-ton of members out here as well. In the past year we have had two quasi-last minute planned meets with amazing turnouts. 10+ trucks and a bunch of truckless-owners for the 1st, 5 trucks and a few truckless-owners for the 2nd (which was on a freezing cold Colorado winter day). I'm all for a rotating NATS, but lets not forget about those of us who are on the wrong side of the Mississippi :tup:

I honestly thing that attendance will suffer from having it miss a year, but I hope that I'm wrong :?

If we were to do it in Denver, I could get my other forums (Rocky Mountain Ecotec, and a local turbo doge chapter) to join up with us to help split the cost. Just throwing it out there, and I know that it will probably be hosted elsewhere

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3

Loeryder said:
It's gonna be all about the price point.

"What are you willing to pay for Nats?" should be the next poll

Beechbend in Bowling Green was more money the KCIR and less flexible.
Gateway Intl in St Louis costs more for a private track rental than the Nats has grossed in 2+ years.
I can't imagine what a track rental in Vegas or SoCal is, but I am guessing it's high.

I think that is a valid question. For me its relatively small part of the costs. Its cost me about $700-800 with registration, travel, food, and sharing a hotel room to attend the Nationals. The $60-75 registration fee isn't going to keep me away.

JSM

Honestly if nats was in denver I would go at least once just to go. Now if it was there every year I might not. Same probably goes for bowling green or any location for some people.

The 1st year at a NEW place may draw a ton of new people, year 2 might not be so great. Moving it around might just add that benefit as everybody could use nats to travel the US.

phoonTy

Truckless. For now.

MHST Guy said:
If we were to do it in Denver, I could get my other forums (Rocky Mountain Ecotec, and a local turbo doge chapter) to join up with us to help split the cost. Just throwing it out there, and I know that it will probably be hosted elsewhere

We could probably get some of the quick Subies/Mitsus from AWDPirates too if the help were needed.

The interesting thing about the discussion so far... No one farther west the Austin and myself has spoken up. Where you at farther west people? :lol:

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3

MHST Guy said:
there are a butt-ton of members out here as well. In the past year we have had two quasi-last minute planned meets with amazing turnouts. 10+ trucks and a bunch of truckless-owners for the 1st, 5 trucks and a few truckless-owners for the 2nd (which was on a freezing cold Colorado winter day).

I know this is just a generalization, but at least what I have noticed is that the local trucks don't always show up to these events or they only drop by for a few hours one day even though its close by. Maybe they don't want to spend the money on registration or hotel or perhaps they have something else going on, but just because someone will show up at an afternoon meet doesn't mean they will show for a long weekend event like the National is. In someways it baffles me, but not everyone is as dedicated as some of us.

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3

One question (maybe a new thread) might be hepful especially to those who haven't been to Nationals or aren't regular National attendies

What would motivate you to attend the Nationals in 09?

Black Knight

I Glow Therefore I am

phoonTy said:
The interesting thing about the discussion so far... No one farther west the Austin and myself has spoken up. Where you at farther west people? :lol:

Pleeze, San Fran here beeyach, how much farther west does it get, what do you want Hawaii :lol:

Loeryder said:
Beechbend in Bowling Green was more money the KCIR and less flexible.
Gateway Intl in St Louis costs more for a private track rental than the Nats has grossed in 2+ years.
I can't imagine what a track rental in Vegas or SoCal is, but I am guessing it's high.

Jason what kind of cost are we talking about? Just for the sake of arguement I called Sacramento Raceway. It's $2,500 a day (8 hours) which includes insurance, $500 for track prep, $95 an hour for the ambulance.

So atleast $3,600 for track rental, is that way high, or not?

AUSyTyIN

Unbusted $#it box

dgoodhue said:
I know this is just a generalization, but at least what I have noticed is that the local trucks don't always show up to these events or they only drop by for a few hours one day even though its close by. Maybe they don't want to spend the money on registration or hotel or perhaps they have something else going on, but just because someone will show up at an afternoon meet doesn't mean they will show for a long weekend event like the National is. In someways it baffles me, but not everyone is as dedicated as some of us.

Honestly, if it were here, I probably wouldn't stay in the hotel. I would probably be like Zach and always be around, but I would stay at home (hell, I'm only 5 min. away from the track :rotf: )

phoonTy said:
We could probably get some of the quick Subies/Mitsus from AWDPirates too if the help were needed.

I was thinking about them, but they are a giant group who would overshadow the SyTy'ers. The only reason I mentioned the other two is that there would only be around 10 at most from each in attendance.

MikeRenz

not stock

Instead of people being dissappointed that NATS won't occur....why not look at it this way:

• everyone has more time to get their truck ready for the next NATS
  • if nats were to become bienniel, you won't have people saying "oh i'll get my truck there next year"
  • you can spend the funds you set aside for NATS on ensuring your truck is ready for the next NATS

some of the problem w/ big meets is the ownership of these trucks has shifted to a younger demographic....younger guys who don't have as much $ for travelling...are sooner goingn to spend $ making their truck run, or buying an exhuast...instead of paying for a hotel for a weekend in the middle of the country. It's just how it works...i know when i was 20yrs old i didn't drive around the country - i was modding my car instead. Convincing the younger guys to show up isn't the easiest thing ever.

NOJIMMY

Syclone#1992 said:
Well, with out getting everyone all riled up, I really think there has to be some thought put into this event.

- The main problem is location, from what I heard and who I talked to at Homecoming, we need to put serious thought into the location of this event. Everyones backyard is a good thought, but the people planning the event NEED to be somewhat close or have people in the area helping.
- On the thought of location, why not Bowling Green or somewhere in between Michigan and Florida. I think Jeff Scott rented Bowling Green out before, maybe he could give us some insight on the track and facilities! How nice would it be to have Homecoming in the Spring, NATS near the end of summer, and Shindig in November (where its warm)? Thats three centrally located events.

- We have to center this around where the trucks are, the trucks are getting older now, many don't run and many have high mileage. We have to find out where most of the trucks are located (East coast, Florida, and Midwest seems to be where most of the interested parties live. \

- Another fact is that we as a community need to get on the same page. PERIOD. We need to establish a committee that stays dedicated to these trucks and handles the money! Lots of this stuff has to do with funding! We need to fund raise, get sponsers, donations and get on the same page money wise, so registration and turn out is decent, and we can get people to come. Wouldn't it be nice to pre-pay a car hauler for the Florida or East coast guys to get the trucks in one place? Lets establish a fund, to make this stuff happen. We all need to step up to the plate or these trucks will be a dying cause.

- I am willing to help out, as I am sure many others are too. Since NATS isn't happening, I hope most people will seriously consider going to Homecoming 2008! Maybe there we can have a meeting of the minds, to throw some ideas and start to plan NATS 2009!

Any thoughts?

...It will be interesting to see how this thread proceeds, since discussions on this topic always invokes a lot of emotion.
In some ways the committee has to do "whats best" and avoid the temptation to please all the members subscribed,
past attendees, newbies, and self-interest groups.
Not saying it can't be done (as demonstrated by the Homecoming Event), but it will take
some creative-new-thinkers with "spirit".

Example:
-While racing at a track is always desired, very few fast trucks actually attend/participate.
Encouraging owners to bring-out their rides (in all various states) to view is really desired,
as variety is just as important as quality and quanity. Even it it means engines-on-stands.
-While SyTy racing has been desired, entertaining "other" camps (buicks, Lightnings, Dodges, S10s)
may draw larger attendance, magazines, revenue, interest, and non-SyTy
vendors who might "expand their offerings to include our trucks".
-While outside vendor interest dwindles (magazine, new vendors, resale vehicle value) the
right emphasis by the Nat's Commitee could turn this tide around.
But it may mean "piggybacking" on bigger events such as power tour, hot rod drag week,
car craft nationals, or such.
-Sometimes the "little" details become extremely important - such as communicating
the event, publishing the event details in advance, early registration, pre-registrating and
advertising a number of "draw vehicles", and such for vacation schedules/hotel booking.
-Nightime activities are important to this group, whether it means late time
parking lot mischief, cruising events, street drags, outdoor slide shows, or such.
-Traveling is a big part of attending, therefore caravans, regional coordinators,
routes, and communication (walkie talkies, radios, internet access/tracking, etc)
are great to encourage enthusiam to participating regional/local SyTy groups. Of course
GM participation, and truck transporation services help tremendously.
-Documenting the event is important, both daily (via internet), taking pictures
(of people and trucks), long-term (to preserve, and to display examples of),
and to foster a real involvement (individually, from all-range levels of expertise, and
from significant others). Video/dvds is always welcome as well as future calendar pics.
More could be done with the Truck-of-the-Month segment (often called "featured
vehicle" on sponsor websites).
-A certain amount of Policing is desired by the committee (to eliminate
over-zealous competition, potential harm to trucks/individuals, security/theft).
It also includes caravaning to/from hotel, tracks, restaurants, and dyno testing facilities.
But it may involve resolving disputes (such as unappropriate marketing,
raffle dispute resolution, disallowing non-SyTy owners from shine-n-show, etc).
-And lastly, this site has its "favorites" which encourages event participation
(whether its knowledgeable members, or individuals that are most widely known,
or trucks that have obtained a mythical status, or trucks/owners that bring a
unique approach or personal-professional touch). Attendance by these
people/trucks is important to "validate the feeling" of a once-in-a-lifetime experience
requiring attendance (and perhaps a individual sacrifice).

I actually think there is a "place" for inviting "old-timers" which have fadded on
this sight but still have a login id. But then again, Im a certified crazy person.
...sorry for long posting
icon_redface.gif

-Larry Brown

phoonTy

Truckless. For now.

All very valid points Larry. :tup: I decided not to quote to keep the thread clean. :lol: but I agree with what you said. Anything we can do as an event to get the OG's out with their trucks, lets get it done. :tup:

AUSyTyIN

Unbusted $#it box

I agree completely. We need the OG's, but we also have to make the newcomers feel welcome at the same time

turbodig

A good call on the hiatus... I think the next couple of years would find it hard to support a national gathering, wherever it is. (Economic, and dead truck issues)

Downer is that now we'll get the onslaught of "let's have it <in my back yard>" coupled with the lack of people willing to get anything together. This thread seems to crop up annually.

The MI guys have done an excellent job with their gathering... an example of people stepping up to get something of this size off the ground. Is it (could it be) a nationals? Dunno. Don't care what you call it, really, because what you label it doesn't much matter.

The lack of a Nats this year will likely boost attendance at the regional gatherings, which is a good thing. More power to 'em. (literally)

MikeRenz

not stock

Saying things like "very few fast trucks show up" and "never much vendor support" are biased-things to say. Just becuase that was how previous events ended up, doesn't mean future events have to go the same route.

In all the thoughts of how NATS can/will be, please remain open minded/optimistic. Obviously we have to be realists at the same time....but if you start out assuming things will end up the same ole way...then we aren't going to get anywhere as a group. I'm going to be doing lots of newtorking for the next NATS, so don't count anything out yet.

warmpancakes

Just to be clear Homecoming was never intended to replace nats or were we trying to steal nats, Its just that with 2 kids going to nats was difficult for me. So we
we did the next best thing we brought the meet here so we could all meet people it was supposed to be a one time event but due to popular demand and more PAS people asking if its going to happen again it will, heres to Nats 09 wherever:tup: it is Renz if you need anything/ help ETC give me a call, 09 kids will be 6-8 ish so I could possibly travel

UR50SLO

V6+2=LSXCamaro

On the thought of location, why not Bowling Green or somewhere in between Michigan and Florida. I think Jeff Scott rented Bowling Green out before

It'd be nice to have it at Bowling Green! I've been down the the Buick GS Nationals and plan on going again this year... I won't be doing the full week as some do but I'll be down Thursday,Friday,Saturday.(Ends on Sat)
Id be willing to help in anyway possible... Hope we can get a few get-together's this year. Even if it's not a full blown out "Nationals"
~Scott

UR50SLO

V6+2=LSXCamaro

Maby Melling oil systems will be a good idea to help us ! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

They helped sponcer alot of spair metal in my shop and made perfectly good parts into paperweights! :tdown:

Had to get a poke in at them where ever I can Lol.

~Scott

SYO237

SyTy Registry

warmpancakes said:
Just to be clear Homecoming was never intended to replace nats or were we trying to steal nats, Its just that with 2 kids going to nats was difficult for me. So we
we did the next best thing we brought the meet here so we could all meet people it was supposed to be a one time event but due to popular demand and more PAS people asking if its going to happen again it will, heres to Nats 09 wherever:tup: it is Renz if you need anything/ help ETC give me a call, 09 kids will be 6-8 ish so I could possibly travel

Same goes for the SE Shindig. In no way or form are we intending to overrun Nats or replace it. Hood, myself and Ian have always wanted to do a bigger SE gathering than just the FL/GA crew and try to get the lower states more involved. After much talk at the 07 Memorial Meet, we decided to quit talking about it and do it.

I also like the idea of having multiple events spread out over the year. There will be the hardcores who will make them all...others will pick their time and specific event.

Im behind Renz for Nats 09. I think hes gonna take it farther and bring it back bigger.

warmpancakes

SYO237 said:
Im behind Renz for Nats 09. I think hes gonna take it farther and bring it back bigger.

I could run with this but nevermind im too classy for that :lol:

MikeRenz

not stock

warmpancakes said:
Just to be clear Homecoming was never intended to replace nats or were we trying to steal nats

I view homecoming as a very well run regional meet. One thing i'd like to see happen from/at the better regional events is hyping up NATS attendance and NATS itself. I'll definnitely be in cohorts with the committees that run the regional meets and discussing/persuading them to convince their own delegates to get their asses to NATS.

It's amazing what happens when the frontrunners of regional events start trying to convince people what they should do :tup: