New Member 9194 Tornado

Re: New Member 9194 Tornado

A couple pics of the Blazer project when I bought it back in 2004 when it was in Glendale, Arizona. All original body, paint, decals, wheels - everything except maintenance items since new.

Petes%201994%20Blazer%201_zpsqmcbdbzg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Petes%201994%20Blazer_zpseh34zgay.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Current Status: Waiting for Quarter Glass Moldings, Pertronix Fuel Pump Harness and other items from SPORTMACHINES - thanks Tom for prompt service and immediate shipping; you guys are great! ;-)
Petes%201994%20Tornado%20Left%20Front_zps25wixgig.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Discovered antifreeze in the engine oil last Fall.
Coolant Pressure test showed leak-down happening.
Removed CPI intake and found two issues: 1. the "Spider" fuel pressure regular was weeping and had the plenum washed clean, and, 2. the CPI intake was corroded at the intake gasket water jacket mating surface on all 4 corners.
Spent the winter searching for an intake and, lucky me, I located a 'brand new' complete 4.3 V6 CPI intake manifold from a GM Assembly Line "Take-Off" engine. The engine was used for quality Control checks and then stored so it never saw any run-time service or heat cycles.

Can anyone tell me whether I can successfully do and EGR-Delete on my 1994 First Gen Blazer 4.3 CPI "Spider" engine while I'm in the mess? I'd like to avoid the whole EGR process of heat soaking and contaminating the "Spider" and the intake plenum if possible?
Also, will EGR-Delete require some tuning or computer modifications?
I read the SYTY EGR-Delete stuff but wonder if anyone can chime in on my quirky ("Spider") engine system?

Many thanks in advance, Pete

Damian

I'd look on th S10 forums to see what they do for the EGR delete. Those electronic EGR valves aren't cheap! Also look up the tpi injector swap.

Searching the new Forum (Upgraded) Format to see where new posts end up???
I hope the photo uploading process hasn't become compromised...
Good luck with updating the site to this new format.

Going to try this photo bucket thing again(?)
Tried transferring (rightside-up) photos from photobucket and they transferred here upside-down(?).
I went back to photobucket and rotated them so they were upside-down and transferred them here, and, they stayed upside-down(???).

This photo today will be a test.
Petes%20Tornado%20May%202017%201_zpszjtpgtcx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Brought out the Blazer for the first time this Spring. Seems like a long time in storage.
Now it's time to get to breaking down the top end and replace everything from the head gaskets up including the brand new CPI intake I acquired this past winter. The old CPI intake was corroded at the water jackets causing antifreeze to undermine the intake gaskets and seep into the motor oil.

On a side note, I also pulled my 1973 Z28 out into the sun. I've owned it since 1989 and it's a great car. Haven't had it on the road since summer 2006 while I've been spending time & $$$ on two other projects, including the Blazer transformation.
Petes%20Z28%20May%202017_zpsuygjw57m.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hello friends,

Firstly, Can anyone explain why my Photo-Bucket photo's linked to this site have been disabled here?
If I am able to correct this photo mishap in some way then can someone tell me what to do please(?)...

Secondly, I am getting ready to break down my 1994 Blazer 4.3L "W" engine, with the CPI 'Spider' factory injection setup.

My question is with regard to the factory lifter preload: I've read that the recommendation is one turn after Zero Lash and I read conflicting comments that factory lifter preload should be two turns after Zero Lash(???) so what have you guys (SoGT) experienced? Local GM dealer was no help to me with this.

My 4.3L CPI engine is completely factory in every respect, and, my repairs during this adventure are to break down the top end and replace the head gaskets with FelPro replacements along with installing a new CPI 'Spider' and the 'Nut Kit.'

Finally, if anyone can assist with either of these questions I'd appreciate feedback please. Thank you

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
9194 Tornado;n1860736 said:
Hello friends,

Firstly, Can anyone explain why my Photo-Bucket photo's linked to this site have been disabled here?
If I am able to correct this photo mishap in some way then can someone tell me what to do please(?)...

Secondly, I am getting ready to break down my 1994 Blazer 4.3L "W" engine, with the CPI 'Spider' factory injection setup.

My question is with regard to the factory lifter preload: I've read that the recommendation is one turn after Zero Lash and I read conflicting comments that factory lifter preload should be two turns after Zero Lash(???) so what have you guys (SoGT) experienced? Local GM dealer was no help to me with this.

My 4.3L CPI engine is completely factory in every respect, and, my repairs during this adventure are to break down the top end and replace the head gaskets with FelPro replacements along with installing a new CPI 'Spider' and the 'Nut Kit.'

Finally, if anyone can assist with either of these questions I'd appreciate feedback please. Thank you

The Photobucket broken links are from Photobucket's end. It has been called the Photobucket ransom. Initially they were asking $500/year to host pictures of 3rd party site such as websites, blogs & forums. They now have a $99/year option for third party hosting on forums. I am surprised you have not seen the emails, as I probably have gotten 10 email since last summers policy change

2 turns past zero lash is too much. The factory service manuals say 1 turn is the factory spec for the syty engine (vin Z). If you have a W code engine the spec is 20 ft-lbs. Most recommend for performance 1/4 to 1/2 turn for a stock style lifter. Higher RPM applications can experience valve float with 1 turn past zero lash. With a low rev motor like SyTy have it probably doesn't difference as valve flat doesn't come into play with stock heads/cam motor

Thank you "dgoodhue" for your update\response to my last post/inquiry.
I completed the engine parts upgrade.
Thought I did not have an "A-HA" moment during the engine top-end breakdown, I did find a few questionable areas that may have likely been contributors to the antifreeze weeping into the motor oil.
Head bolt thread corrosion/thread sealant breakdown, OEM head gaskets mushy, intake (aluminum) pitted at the water jacket, are just a few of the obvious weak points noted.
I was fortunate to locate an NOS W-motor "CPI" intake which I installed during this exercise.
So, this process included cleaning all components, block sanding deck surfaces, de-carboning cylinder heads & EGR ports, Lapping valves, New Valve Seals, Chasing all Threads, New FELPRO Gaskets throughout, New Hoses throughout, New Serpentine Belt, New Thermostat, New Manifold Studs & 'Donuts,' Oil & Antifreeze.
Hopefully this will conclude the pesky antifreeze seep.
The motor runs perfectly and it seems to be noticeably more responsive, and, I notice the transmission shifts better with more 'snap' for some reason.

Finally, I did not get any updates from PhotoBucket regarding PhotoBucker Ransom(?).
I do see however that my photos have been re-posted to this forum, thankfully.
I hope my photos and comments may help other members.

Wow, how time passes!
Haven't driven my 'Tornado' much since last post here.
Last summer my street & curbs were torn up so access into-an-out of my garage was impossible, hence, I only got it to one show.
Hopefully this year will provide better opportunity if the Corona-environment doesn't dampen all car show organizers from cancelling events...