No start after new engine install

Jay92Ty

Donating Member
Hey guys,

So I just put a new engine in my Ty ( rebuild) and now it won't start. Before removing the old one it started right up. Truck sat for about 7 months and I don't see why that would be an issue? When I turn the key I don't hear the long beep anymore.
Everything is new on the engine.

New :pplugs, wires, coil, dist, sensors, injectors, etc.

I have fuel pressure.

All fuses are good.

Is there a way to test the ECM?

Is the ECM from a Ty the same as a Sy? (I ask cause I have a Sy one that I can use)

Any help or tips are much appreciated.

Thx

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
Does it turn over?

Do your headlights come on?

If not, are you sure you hooked up all of the wiring to the started and the alternator?

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
Yes, we need to know if it turns over. If it is are you getting a spark at the sparkplug? I have had to move the distributor to adjust the timing a little to get the engine to start initially.

One time I installed the plug wires incorrectly. Reverse from the direction the distributor rotates. Not good. Should be1-6-5-4-3-2 distributor rotates clockwise. Please let us know more details.

Jay92Ty

Donating Member
Today I got home and figured I just check the alternator connection and I found the red wire was coming off the connector. fixed it and I thought it might be it, but nothing. The engine does turn over, and very well. My headlights do turn on. The one thing like I mentioned in my first post is that when I turn the key I don't hear the long beep sound nor do I see any lights come on in the dash. Only the Check Engine light comes on then turns off as usual. Before removing the engine it started just fine and all the lights came on before start up. I feel like I'm not getting spark to the plugs but kinda lost at this point. Wires are in the rotation that they need to be in. 165432. I've tried moving the dist. and nothing. I even removed it just to make sure I wasn't 180* out. I'm at TDC on compression stroke and nothing. This SUCKS!!

proptop

Donating Member
Jay,
Is the ground connection point on the back of the Drivers head clean? You mentioned that the motor was rebuilt and if you painted the heads it might not be getting good ground (had this happen a few years back on a Grand National after a motor rebuild). Also unplug and reinstall the distributer wires a few times as it might not be getting good contact.
Bob

Jay92Ty

Donating Member
Thx for the responses fellas.
Yup, just to make sure I sanded the area and installed the ground. All the grounds in the engine bay, I made sure they had good contact. Distributor wires have been disconnected and reconnected a few times. I did notice today that the "check gauges" light came on...but only sometimes when ever I turned the key to start. A few questions...

If I have fuel pressure to the fuel rail how can I tell if the injectors are pushing fuel through them?

I have new injectors...could they be bad?

Other than a screw driver to ground, is there another way to test spark from the distributor

Could it be possible that I have a bad ICM even though its brand new w/distributor?

Mannnn this thing is taking me for a ride!

IGottaSy

Are the injectors impedance matching the ECM and chip programming?
I believe you can fry it or at least fry the drivers if they don't match.
brown wire reconnected?
I know this is trivial but, battery terminals are clean and tight as are starter and alternator?
No wiring caught between transmission and engine?

Last edited:

Jay92Ty

Donating Member
Yup, OEM 42lb injectors. When you say brown wire, are you talking about the tan ( bypass) wire? No wires caught, and battery terminals clean, as well as starter and alternator.

Jay92Ty

Donating Member
Today I messed around with it again and discovered a black/white and a tan wire behind the engine block that are suppose to be grounded. They were disconnected and I said to my self...it must be it annnnddd Nothing. Glad I found that though. I decided to check my DM and its throwing a code 43. Oh man here we go. Knock sensor or ESC? Don't quite understand why if everything is brand new. I'm hoping and praying this is the issue that gets solved. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
The stock injectors aren't 42#.

I had some issues when getting my truck started after putting it together. I just had the timing wrong.

Jay92Ty

Donating Member
Thx..Yup, 32lb:). Checked the tan wire and its connected. I will be be checking the timing chain to make sure I didn't miss a tooth, I'm sure I didn't but at this point what the heck...wont hurt to check.

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
Did you ever check to see if you were getting a spark to the plugs? There is a tester for this but I usually put an old spark plug in number 1 wire and lean the metal of the plug against a grounded object on the engine. Make sure you don't have any fuel leaks.

Is the injector harness plugged in? The issue is most likely something simple. Make sure you are getting fuel and spark. Then make sure the spark is happening at the correct time on the correct cylinder.

Jay92Ty

Donating Member
I tried it with a screw driver but I'll also try what you mentioned. Probably more accurate. Injector harness is plugged. Yes those 2 things I need to confirm for sure in order to move forward. I'll give it another go tomorrow ( cause I'm kind of over it right now) and do and update. Thx again for the replies.

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Try checking to make sure the ECM fuses aren't blown. I can't remember if our trucks have an INJ fuse, if we have one of those check that fuse as well.

Jay92Ty

Donating Member
Fuses are all good. I don't believe there's an injector fuse.
Battery is still good. Still cranking right up. Injectors are seeing 12v but will try it with a noid. Gonna let it sit for a bit while I reset cause its driving me wacko. Once I get back to it I'll do an update.

Jay92Ty

Donating Member
Ok..Update on this FU--ING thing. I got spark. Originally though I was 180*, turns out I wasn't. After putting a noid on the injectors I discovered that I wasn't getting a signal to the noid (no light), I then sprayed some brake cleaner through the intake and Boooomm fired right up. Yeyyyyyy one down one to go. So now why am I not getting power to the injectors? No fuel to the pistons? Any ideas why?

Jay92Ty

Donating Member
Distributor is new and I actually changed the ICM to a GM one just to eliminate that from the equation ( a spare ICM never hurt no one) and still nothing. The only thing that was left from the original sensors was Oil Pressure switch, IAC, and TPS. Can this cause a no start? I'm leaning towards the ECM at this point. Still my "check gauges" light doesn't come on when I turn the key.