The "End All Discussions" of 92 vs 93. AND "did some 93's have L35 heads?"

DaveP

The "End All Discussions" of 92 vs 93. AND "did some 93's have L35 heads?"

Even though it's been answered before, can be found by searching, or looking it up on the web, this is a forum about the trucks and keeping the info alive and accurate.
The differences between the 92 and 93 have been discussed since the introduction of the 93. This info is all over the place, full of inaccuracies, and difficult to find or trust.

I suggest we start a new thread. And ONE PERSON that knows what they are talking about edit the posts into one post and put it in The Vault. Where it will be easy to find, and safe from editing and idle chit-chat.

Here it is. Four sections. Interior, Exterior, Under-hood and Chassis.

Interior:
4 sun visors.
Map lights in rear view mirror different
Domelights on RKE timer in 92. 93 has delayed mirror lights.
93 has white "mystery wire" by ECM.
Overhead console.

Exterior:
gold decals on 93
Tailgate decal placement: 92 = high and inboard, 93 = lower and outboard.
door thingeys
Headlight buckets painted argent

Under-hood:
Idler tensioner body different.
fuel rail schrader valve cap plastic on 93, metal on 92
Wiring connector over booster 3-pin,.3 wires in 92 5-pin, 3 wires in 93.
Trans dipstick and tube different between years.
ABS BPMV different.

Chassis:
Exhaust pipe hanger placement different
Transmission separator plate different.
ABS has rear sensors in 92, gone for 93.

There's a beginning. You guys have fun......

DaveP

Edit: Here's the deal: I don't profess that I know all the differences. I'm sure I don't. But I've owned and worked on enough 92-93 Tys and other S-series to be able to verify / dis-credit any differences that may be described. But you guys have fun coming up with them...

Let's leave this up for the month of August. Put your stuff in here. TJ and I will edit it at the end of the month, and put it in The Vault.
DaveP

Last edited:

phoonTy

Truckless. For now.
Re: The "End All Discussions" of 92 vs 93. Show what you know...

Thread stuck.

Beavis

Still plays with trucks

93's were suposed to be 1" lower all around compared to 92's

warmpancakes

L differences between 1992 and 1993 Typhoons

headlight surround Dark Charcoal
(exception: Forest/Grey was Forest)

1993 body color

ride height
1992 lowered 2 ijnches
1993 lowered 3inches
vs std jimmy

Interior

Black leather/Grey cloth
Manual adjustments
Manually-adjustible lumbar support
Typhoon embroidered on headrest

1993 (Jimmy slt seats)
Black leather/Black vinyl
Power driver's seat
Power-adjustible lumbar support
No embroidery

bunched up door panel inserts
leather with horizintal double stitch (just like any normal jimmy)

rear view mirror

Map lights switch on bottom-side of mirror
Map lights illuminate for opening of door and keyless entry activation

Map lights switch on front below mirror
Map lights do not illuminate for opening of door or keyless entry

there are many may more things, tailgate release knob. dash panel lower tray,trans dipstick but ill let others contribute

This has been discussed a million times before and all of the info can be found with a simple search here

http://home.comcast.net/~aklinger16/Info/differences.html

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3

Was 93 really lower than 92 by 1"? How was this achieved? Are the rear springs different? Different arm on the self level suspension? Or are we just talking about the front suspension? I will have to look it ip to verify but I thought my Sy's front suspension was 28" +/- 0.5" in the service manual supplement.

I see often the complaint that Typhoon have Slt Jimmy seats. Is that true for some years? The leather
S-Series seats I have seen have vertical stitching in seat which makes them look very much different. Are the leather interior panels shared with any other s-series for either 92 or 93.

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3

The air conditioning compressor connector is different from 91 to 93. I think he change happened in 93 but I can't remember 100%.

powercat6

S-Series seats I have seen have vertical stitching in seat which makes them look very much different. Are the leather interior panels shared with any other s-series for either 92 or 93.

Blazer leather seats have the vertical stitching; Jimmy leather seats do not.

AUSyTyIN

Unbusted $#it box

Late 93's had L35 heads

Beavis

Still plays with trucks

Late 93's had L35 heads

The rumer was the last 150-200 93's had l35's because of running short at the end of production. I don't believe there was any paperwork to prove this though....

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3

I have never seen any proof that 93 Ty's had L35. We have seen from those running L35 the stock tune runs leans with them.

BoostedSUV

Was painted cladding on the 93, and different roof racks from 92 to 93 mentioned?

TYHOGG

My truck is #2187 in 93 and it did not have L35's on it. I can't remember the casting numbers off hand but i do remember checking them to see. I think i have them laying around somewhere.

QWERTYphoon

Motley Driver Award 2009

Also, just thought of this but not sure how to word it. If you remove the lower intakes on 92's and 93's the pan that holds the lifters down are different.

powercat6

Was painted cladding on the 93, and different roof racks from 92 to 93 mentioned?

On the topic of the roof racks; from what I've seen there are 92s with the newer style rack and 93s with the older style rack.

GAShan

Donating Member

I would have to dig through boxes of info I have but I remember a few years back Adam and I researched the different heads on late 93's and verifying that from about truck vin 1100 on they did have the better heads. I'm sure Adam will chime in. My Ty # 1208 definitely does not have the same heads as my Sy, and both are all original. Some theorized GM added the 5 extra horses on 93's based on certifying the heads, but used up the 92 heads first. There used to be a poll thread about this and those who had rocker covers off did back this up.

Chest Rockwell

Tailgate/rear window release handle differs from '92 to '93. If I remember correctly, oil fill cap is different, too, right?

13Pelle

On the topic of the roof racks; from what I've seen there are 92s with the newer style rack and 93s with the older style rack.

Is this from the dealer that way or where they changed by the owner(s)??

Beavis

Still plays with trucks

I had another thought as to why this didn't happen. Because it would require re-validation of the engine package and emission conformance. If they "ran out" of LB4 heads, and couldn't come up with a timely, certified replacement head, they would discontinue production of Typhoons until a certified engine package did again become available. If Ty production ceased before this happened, the remaining "150-200" sets of Ty parts would have been scrapped or put into SPO.

They didn't do it. (Substitute L35 heads for "production" heads). No way would GM spend the money to validate an L35 head version of the engine for 200 vehicles. The cost of that validation would FAR exceed any potential profit on 200 Typhoons.

DaveP

My truck is #2187 in 93 and it did not have L35's on it. I can't remember the casting numbers off hand but i do remember checking them to see. I think i have them laying around somewhere.

Like i said "rumored". If tyhogg's didn't have them, then they probably didn't get them. This was something that an OG syty guru told me about 7 years ago. Their are a few people on here with late vins, unopened engines, and able to tell all history of there trucks. If they are willing to pull a valve cover and post casting #'s it may help. But you are probably right that they didn't get them. I do believe they would run a little lean also, maybe why some say they make more power.......
Were any of the replacement crate engines ever found to have L35's on them like rumored either? I believe a few said theirs had replacements with l35's......

warmpancakes

Were any of the replacement crate engines ever found to have L35's on them like rumored either? I believe a few said theirs had replacements with l35's......

yes, the one al installed in the black black ty was l35 headed