WOT failure - Clear Flood mode??

typhoon12

Tyhoon12 #0489
I completed a total tune-up (plugs, wires, distributor, coil, TPS, IAC, O2, traced all vac lines (still working on hiss behind heater controls) and the truck is running strong. The only thing is if I hold the throttle to the floor, it still shuts down and comes back to life after a second or two. However, if I let up on the throttle just about an 8th of an inch it doesn't do it. I do not have an aftermarket boost gauge installed yet and waiting for Datamaster to come in next week.

The question I have, is there a "Clear Flood mode" that is coming into play for some reason? On some cars the Clear Flood is for when you think you flooded the engine , you would hold the pedal to the metal and crank the engine, this is suppose to not let the injectors let any fuel into the engine so as to clear out the flooded status and get the engine to start.

I've searched through all the TSB's Drivability section of my ALLDATA General Automotive program and found nothing.

Any ideas? Any :2cents:?
 

TurboTony

Active member
Re: WOT failure - Clear Flood mode??

Sounds like you are hitting the overboost limit and its cutting fuel. This is a bad thing!

Stay out of the WOT stuff till you get that boost gauge and datamaster. I can show you all sorts of pics of broken pistons that have resulted from this condition.

Tony
 

UK-Ty

Ty Crazy
Re: WOT failure - Clear Flood mode??

To test if it is due to overboost unplug the blue/black connector on the solenoid on the turbo and this will limit boost to around 9psi so if it still does it you will no its not due to overboost.
 

typhoon12

Tyhoon12 #0489
Re: WOT failure - Clear Flood mode??

Thanks. Also, I have a 3" exhaust with NO CAT. Just installed a Magnafow MPE-14419 muffler. Someone mentioned that the 3" and no cat was bad for turbo's. If this is true, should I add a CAT? Install an aftermarket adjustable wastegate to compensate? Any recommendations?

J
 
Re: WOT failure - Clear Flood mode??

3" exhaust and no cat on a stock truck will cause an overboost situation. The stock wastegate can't handle it, from what I've read.

Some switch to external wastegates, some fiddle with the stock one and try to get it dialed in. Personally, I'd stay out of it until you get a decent boost gauge and datamaster and can see exactly what's going on, then decide from there.
 

UK-Ty

Ty Crazy
Re: WOT failure - Clear Flood mode??

Its far easier to put a cat back on than try to get it running right without. No cat means i would put money on your problem being overboost. Stay of the gas until you fix it because a engine rebuild will cost a lot more than a new cat.;)
 

typhoon12

Tyhoon12 #0489
Re: WOT failure - Clear Flood mode??

How about the 3" exhaust???

Might just keep the existing 3" and add the CAT?

Just checked out Magnaflow 59929 and 59959 High Flow CAT...cannot tell the difference????
 

UK-Ty

Ty Crazy
Re: WOT failure - Clear Flood mode??

No problem with the 3" i have a borla 3" with a cat and its fine:tup:
 

TurboTony

Active member
Re: WOT failure - Clear Flood mode??

We have had success porting the turbine housing where the wastegate port is.

Basicly you make a nice radius leading into the w/g port and leave the other side square to try and direct the flow through the port.

I've done this to a few catless stock turbo trucks and had good luck. Of course this means removing the turbo and splitting the housing and a few hours with a die grinder. Your choice.

Tony
 

typhoon12

Tyhoon12 #0489
Re: WOT failure - Clear Flood mode??

Unfortunately I am not that skilled so I am going to stick w/ the CAT. Before I do that, I am going to connect the aftermarket boost gauge and run the Datamaster. Once that is done, I will report back with the results.

Thanks again!

These forums are great!!!!!! and so is the SyTy community for all the free help and advice.

Sharing knowledge and experience of these trucks will keep them alive and running for a long time!!

Thanks again!

Jason
 

jpalmer

New member
Re: WOT failure - Clear Flood mode??

this is how i grenaded my motor. 3" and no cat. prob check your compression to be sure you didn't hurt something. good luck
 

turbodig

Active member
Re: WOT failure - Clear Flood mode??

Unfortunately I am not that skilled so I am going to stick w/ the CAT. Before I do that, I am going to connect the aftermarket boost gauge and run the Datamaster. Once that is done, I will report back with the results.

Thanks again!

These forums are great!!!!!! and so is the SyTy community for all the free help and advice.

Sharing knowledge and experience of these trucks will keep them alive and running for a long time!!

Thanks again!

Jason

Take a turn, maybe 2 out of the WG rod... that'll soften the boost response a bit.
 

typhoon12

Tyhoon12 #0489
Re: WOT failure - Clear Flood mode??

I rigged the fuel pressure gauge to the outside of the hood to make sure I had good pressure and everything was fine...no drop in pressure at all. I also got the boost gauge installed and was pushing 20 when it cut out. I did not want to test it too much and hurt the engine. I am going to call MF and order a CAT. Once the Datamaster arrives and the CAT is installed I will test it again. For now, it will be easy going, no WOT.

Someone mentioned reducing the pipe size coming from the wastegate as an alternative to the CAT but to me, installing the CAT seems the easiest. Anyone heard of this?

Jason
 
Top