Mrsyclone... oh no

NOJIMMY

Re: Mrsyclone... oh no

Very simple.....big power stuff all breaks no matter what the parts!

I disagree somewhat (though it depends entirely on what everyone calls "big power" nowadays). Here's why:

Many people today use production blocks to build performance engines. When the V6 Even-Fire engines were designed,
no one dreamed of the power cylinder heads and valvetrain components could be made to deliver. Today's blocks benefit
from decades of technology, both in racing and manufacturing. Metallurgy, machining techniques, and overall design
features are all vastly improved in the last decade. Castings are designed with thicker cylinder walls which allow larger bore sizes and
superior ring seal. Blocks also have thicker decks, and various deck heights to allow more flexibility in designing engine
combinations. Likewise, the main caps are much stronger, and the water jackets are enlarged to enhance cooling. With
earlier V6 parts, you're putting your money towards older hardware instead of labor."

For example, an LSX376 block (Cast iron = $2,483.97 and AL = 1,521) can easily withstand 15psi. It doesnt care
where boost comes from (supercharger or turbocharger) but there are parasitic losses with driving a supercharger.
The higher the power and boost, the greater the power losses (unfortunately most being consumed by the blower
at peak power). The result is neither registered on the dyno nor available to the vehicle. By contrast a turbo
is driven off exhaust gas and unless backpressure is high, losses with driving the impeller are minimal.

Car Craft bolted a 76mm PT7675 with 10.5 psi to their LS373 and made 836 hp and 760 ft-lb torque. With
14.6 psi 951hp; and at 19.5 psi 1,082 hp. Granted folks on this site can argue about Net vs Gross vs Flywheel vs Rear Wheel
hp but thats still usable and not extreme for a LS3 6.2L 430-hp standard engine. Was it at the level MRSYCLONE had....nope.
But Morgan is correct in suggesting that a lot can be made without being custom or exotic.

-Larry

Jimmy

Banned

I disagree somewhat (though it depends entirely on what everyone calls "big power" nowadays). Here's why:

Many people today use production blocks to build performance engines. When the V6 Even-Fire engines were designed,
no one dreamed of the power cylinder heads and valvetrain components could be made to deliver. Today's blocks benefit
from decades of technology, both in racing and manufacturing. Metallurgy, machining techniques, and overall design
features are all vastly improved in the last decade. Castings are designed with thicker cylinder walls which allow larger bore sizes and
superior ring seal. Blocks also have thicker decks, and various deck heights to allow more flexibility in designing engine
combinations. Likewise, the main caps are much stronger, and the water jackets are enlarged to enhance cooling. With
earlier V6 parts, you're putting your money towards older hardware instead of labor."

For example, an LSX376 block (Cast iron = $2,483.97 and AL = 1,521) can easily withstand 15psi. It doesnt care
where boost comes from (supercharger or turbocharger) but there are parasitic losses with driving a supercharger.
The higher the power and boost, the greater the power losses (unfortunately most being consumed by the blower
at peak power). The result is neither registered on the dyno nor available to the vehicle. By contrast a turbo
is driven off exhaust gas and unless backpressure is high, losses with driving the impeller are minimal.

Car Craft bolted a 76mm PT7675 with 10.5 psi to their LS373 and made 836 hp and 760 ft-lb torque. With
14.6 psi 951hp; and at 19.5 psi 1,082 hp. Granted folks on this site can argue about Net vs Gross vs Flywheel vs Rear Wheel
hp but thats still usable and not extreme for a LS3 6.2L 430-hp standard engine. Was it at the level MRSYCLONE had....nope.
But Morgan is correct in suggesting that a lot can be made without being custom or exotic.

-Larry

That's like comparing a Ferrari to a Pinto IMO.

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD

You can laugh all you want, I didn't read through to see who said LS engines were indestructible either, but personally speaking what "kills" it for me is the fact that a V6 crank is $2k-$2.5k and a 6 month wait and pretty much a prerequisite after 650 HP. You can build an N/A junkyard block LS with that kind of HP for the cost of a V6 crank :rotf:

Morgan get your facts straight, those cranks cost $3400 to the door. :lol: Don't forget I am pretty sure that there is only one company that even makes them anymore. I just got pricing from Bryant a few days ago on a customer truck and cost was $3400 and a 14 week turn around.

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3

A junkyard LS1 motor isn't going to hold the power to run high 8's in AWD Syclone like Robert has.

Captain Morgan

Moderated User

Morgan get your facts straight, those cranks cost $3400 to the door. :lol: Don't forget I am pretty sure that there is only one company that even makes them anymore. I just got pricing from Bryant a few days ago on a customer truck and cost was $3400 and a 14 week turn around.

:rotf: haha, my bad :oops: Its been a while since I've even thought about going that route. My LS comment was a joke as well, there is no way Robert could turn to the dark side at this point.

A junkyard LS1 motor isn't going to hold the power to run high 8's in AWD Syclone like Robert has.

never said it would, and I certainly wouldn't use an LS1, Id use an LQ4/9 at a minimum :D either way, I said 650HP, as in the breaking point of the stock 4.3 cranks.... if its even that much

Don W.

Stab it and steer it

650 HP in our motors is just shy of 2.5 hp per ci which is huge. "dark side" yes but I sometimes wonder if putting a sweet little old school small block in might be a fun conversion. Just to be different. :rotf: A reliable 400 horse wouldn't be that hard.

cloneman315

Ok let me rephrase that.... Modified anything! I have seen six figure Offshore marine engines built with the best parts that explode in a blink of a eye. Robert has been doing this long enough and its just a inconvenient bump in the road and a excuse to build it better the next time.... The statistics and the math and all the other BS means nothing.....

gringo76

Ok let me rephrase that.... Modified anything! I have seen six figure Offshore marine engines built with the best parts that explode in a blink of a eye. Robert has been doing this long enough and its just a inconvenient bump in the road and a excuse to build it better the next time....
The statistics and the math and all the other BS means nothing.....

that last quote is dead on

neildemo

Administrator

He did a amazing Job building this one. Honestly not sure how you could build it better as he holds the v6 records for awd. I believe it was just age and metal fatigue. None the Less Cant wait to see his next build..He is just a great guy to bad this happened, He even sent me some of his beautiful Syty artwork he has taken across Europe..

RealFastV6

@jb_and_his_coffee
The rod is centered in the bore but the big end -is- narrowed a bit, more on one side than the other. Comparative rod bearing load (V6 vis V8, everything else equal) must be considerable. This why odd-fire cranks work. Rod bearing is the same I believe. Stiffer -and- wider journal then us.

You guys had me so turned around on this I had to go take a look next time I was back in CT. It's *not* centered in the bore with a Bowtie \ Carrillo combo. It's off center at BOTH the crank and piston ends of the rod. This means the piston is actively trying to bend the rod by side loading it on both ends.

a7bcac07b74eddc166d4894156c60f26.jpg

2d47cf969659732a2eaf84afd25f5ca1.jpg

So I'll reiterate - the rods are off center. This is the exact problem that Buick ran into and addressed by shifting the banks further apart on the later stronger (153) blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Gnocide

turbo game burt reynolds

wow- feel sorry for your loss
billet crank and good rods/pistons toasted
must have been amazing power to do that!

atomicmecha

I hate rust

Fwiw, his truck was back to running again this past weekend in germany, till the exhaust messed up.