So, is it accurate to say there's not TOO many problems...?

Chauncy

~no fly by zone~
Hey guys,

Well a few years ago I was looking heavily into purchasing a Typhoon for a daily driver. All in all - I couldn't afford it...so, I purchased a base model 3000GT (hold the fat pig comments please haha), and I sold that just about a year ago, picked up a 3000GT VR-4 that needed some work, threw about $3,000 into repairs I didn't know about (gotta love buying a car off of forums, right?)

Right now I'm making some decent money, and I've had the "same" car for just about four years. I'm unfortunately not wealthy enough to be purchasing anything new. I can make the payments, but don't want to commit to a four year lease at the age of 19. It's just not in my best interest.

Going back to the Typhoon part, I've LOVED the damn things since I set eyes on them when I was about 14 I'd say. I'm sort of looking for something SUV-ish and AWD, hence the VR-4 part, not the SUV part. Well here's my problem, my VR-4 is a calender car and I never drive it, I won't take it out in the rain, I won't let it dare touch snow, it only gets driven ~3 days a week. I don't want a garage queen at the age of 19.

I see the market has gone down from when I was last looking seriously, and honestly, I'm ready to dump thousands into my VR-4, or sell it right now. I don't want to take a huge loss in a year or two when I want to sell my VR-4, you know? As I said I'm 19 not looking to get myself into a HUGE hole. I would honestly put an intake, maybe downpipe and cat-back on the Typhoon and a boost controller. I read to upgrade the fuel pump as well?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm rambling, what I'm looking to know is, is there common problems associated with all Typhoons? For example, on the first generation VR-4s (1991-1993) the transfercase is relatively weak if you are to launch the car 5,000RPMs+ repeatedly, at around 100,000 miles the output shaft will wear out, at 60,000 miles the 60K tuneup should be done. What am I looking at if I want to get involved with a Typhoon?

Thanks a lot for any information you're willing to share, and I have searched for common problems, all I've turned up is a heater hose problem, and the fuel pump problem I mentioned earlier. Are those it?

QUICK STORM

B.A.M.F. BMW Tech
Re: So, is it accurate to say there's not TOO many problems...?

we don't launch from 5000rpm more like 2000rpm. how much are you willing to spend or what is our limit, there are some great deals out there. some trucks survive without problems and some come with a boat load. just gotta find the right one. search my friend and ask alot of questions

Chauncy

~no fly by zone~

I can work with about $14,00 max, and that's pushing it. $10,000 isn't a problem, $12,500 a happy-medium still with some money left over to repair some things.

I actually used to have an account here before I purchased my 3000GTs but I can't remember my log-in name, I've sat around all day trying to remember "common" problems, but nothing's hitting me.

Thanks for the speedy reply as well.

You want common problems, take a look at the S-10 forums too. The heater core WILL go, it is an S series truck, but that is not huge. Beat the piss out of it, launch hard all the time, and the front prop will shear apart (been there, done that) And of course, beating it will result in the tranny going. My truck has been in the shop for a while getting engine work for a while now, I forget alot of the other normal crap that goes wrong, I always had bigger problems that the previous owner left me with i.e. bad cyl bore on the rebuild, thanks. Ask around, I think you will get some good replies from the guys on this board. Good luck man, hope you end up sellin the Mitsu and getting a nice TY. :tup:

QUICK STORM

B.A.M.F. BMW Tech

well common problems are

ignition - spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, module, coil. our trucks like complete tuneups. too much knock is not our friend, get it as low as possible, and timing is key.

fuel - pump, filter our trucks like rich conditions, lean = bad, the pump doesn't put out enough volume so a higher flowing pump is recommended along with and adjustable fuel pressure regulator

turbo - stock wastegate sucks and overboost problems will occur, usually adjusting wastegate an adding a external boost controller

drivetrain - propshaft and the 700, adding an ext. trans cooler helps with the life of the tranny

vacuum leaks, leaking TB shaft = pinging due to lean condition. that pretty much all i can remember right now

Chauncy

~no fly by zone~

I'll admit, I like to have fun, but I know when and where, and honestly I don't have nearly as much fun as anyone my age. I'm a Criminal Justice major so I curb my desire to do stupid things on the road, I actually find the track more fun anyway...but what I'm alluding to is that for the most part, the Ty will be my DD, I commute to my classes 15 miles up the road, and I fart around town to friends houses in the summer when we are all out of our college courses, so it won't receive much abuse from my end, although it will see a few stop lights once in a blue moon.

EDIT:

What is the propshaft, sounds like what the output shaft on a VR-4 does? Example: 25 spline? 18 spline, what?

And of course, there have to be aftermarket trans. coolers - right?

Thanks for the reply with the breifing on common problems, doesn't seem too bad at all actually.

12secondSY

Syty Killer :(

12.5 should get you a nice one. If you find one in good shape and dont modify it too much you will have to work on it but nothing major usually. Unless you boost launch a lot, then you will buy a tranny.
If you want to modify one you should always start with the basic reliability mods so you dont break something that was fine before. Datamaster and a laptop, fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, boost gauge and fuel pressure gauge. Then, 3 bar map sensor and a chip for it, high flow IC pump, the list goes on. Search and you will find a ton of build recipes. In a ty that could get you mid 13's pretty easy maybe better and still be reliable. If you drive easy daily you can do a lot more and still be ok. Might want to upgrade the front driveshaft though too. Thats a weak point.

Jimmy

Banned

The trucks are like girls.Just make sure you get a sweetheart and not a bitch.

Chauncy

~no fly by zone~

Thank you 12secondSY.

So the "necessaries" would be:

Fuel pump
Boost gauge (obviously)
FPR
Trans. cooler - (only if you boost launch? I RARELY would.)
High-flow IC pump (not sure?)
- Check front half of driveshaft. Does it use carrier bearings or what?

12secondSY

QUICK STORM said:
turbo - stock wastegate sucks and overboost problems will occur, usually adjusting wastegate an adding a external boost controller

Get an external wastegate, they are much better with boost control. My sy was stock and if I stepped on it on the highway or with the TC locked up(unless I went from a dead stop) it would boost to 17-20psi. Our trucks dont add more fuel after 15psi with the stock chip and 2 bar map sensor.

Chauncy

~no fly by zone~

How much are you looking at spending on at least a fuel pump and an aftermarket external wastegate? I'll add in the price of a trans. cooler as well.

Sorry if there's too many questions being thrown at you guys.

12secondSY

Chauncy said:
Thank you 12secondSY.

So the "necessaries" would be:

Fuel pump
Boost gauge (obviously)
FPR
Trans. cooler - (only if you boost launch? I RARELY would.)
High-flow IC pump (not sure?)
- Check front half of driveshaft. Does it use carrier bearings or what?
IC pump doesnt have to be done, but it is definately one of the first mods. not necessarily a reliability mod.
The propshaft(front driveshaft) is something you will want to do if you want to run it hard at all because one bad launch with it and it could tear up a lot if it does break. Or if the one your truck has is bad(torn boot or something). that will run you about $400-$500 im pretty sure but someone else could verify that price.
Trans cooler- get it, you will end up boost launching-dont kid yourself. Worth the $40 to save your tranny.

Chauncy

~no fly by zone~

$40 for a trans. cooler is nothing and will definitely be installed granted I get a Ty. I was expecting around $300. Gotta love the old ~$40,000 car repair prices.

Chauncy

~no fly by zone~

OEM or used for a shaft? I'm assuming relatively used from someone here off the boards?

QUICK STORM

B.A.M.F. BMW Tech

will you do all the work yourself? is so you can save a huge amount of money

Chauncy

~no fly by zone~

So far everything listed I'm confident I can do, I'm pretty mechanically experienced.

Chauncy

~no fly by zone~

So that's just around $500 in reliability mods. That's cheap compared to what I've shelled out so far. I wouldn't mind spending that money and having a reliable Typhoon...

Thank you for those links as well.

12secondSY

datamster I think is $130 with cables then hopefully you already have a laptop