20 Years Later: Remembering The Early 90's...

TNPhoon

1of28
I thought about this totally randomly the other day and I don't think there is a thread like it on here yet.

I was looking at a 1992 Eagle Talon that someone was wanting to trade, and it made me think of the Ty since they are the same years. Then it made me think of how many times I have heard that the Sy/Ty's look like they could be from the early 2000s instead of a decade before that. Then that got me thinking of what was the world like when these things first came out.
What was happening in the world?
What were the popular songs and movies?
How much was gas back then?
What other vehicles were rolling off assembly lines?
Etc.

I remember the first time I even heard of a Syclone was when I was in a store (can't remember which) and saw the model of one on a shelf. The only thing I knew about the truck was that I liked the way it looked.

So this thread is to share stories and whatnot from the early 90's, when these things were brand spanking new.

DISCLAIMER: Below are just random things from the early 90's that I have posted to get this thread started up. I don't know if the dates are accurate or not.

CARS
1992-nissan-300zx.jpg


1992-ford-mustang-2-dr-lx-50-hatchback-pic-51804.jpg


chevrolet-lumina-5.jpg


1993dodgeram1503098-300x189.jpg


92802031990102-480.jpg


1994mitsubishieclipse7848-300x189.jpg


SONGS
I Wanna Sex You Up, Color Me Badd
Gonna Make You Sweat, C+C Music Factory
Motownphilly, Boyz II Men
High Enough, Damn Yankees
Good Vibrations, Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch Featuring Loleatta Holloway
Joyride, Roxette
iTunes Store if desired.
Baby Got Back, Sir Mix A-lot
Jump, Kris Kross
Tears In Heaven, Eric Clapton
Under the Bridge, Red Hot Chili Peppers
I'm Too Sexy, Right Said Fred
Achy Breaky Heart, Billy Ray Cyrus
November Rain, Guns N' Roses
Life Is a Highway, Tom Cochran
Bring It On, Tag Team
Rump Shaker, Wreckx-N-Effect
Informer, Snow
Nuthin' but a "G" Thang, Dr. Dre
Runaway Train, Soul Asylum
The River of Dreams, Billy Joel
I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles), Proclaimers
Two Princes, Spin Doctors
Right Here (Human Nature)-Downtown, SWV

MOVIES
Schindler's List - (1993, Steven Spielberg)
The Silence of the Lambs - (1991, Jonathan Demme)
Malcolm X - (1992, Spike Lee)
Dances With Wolves - (1990, Kevin Costner)
Reservoir Dogs - (1992, Quentin Tarantino)
Boyz 'N The Hood - (1991, John Singleton)
JFK - (1991, Oliver Stone)
The Nightmare Before Christmas - (1993, Henry Selick)
Terminator 2: Judgment Day- - (1991, James Cameron)
Jurassic Park - (1993, Steven Spielberg)
The Crying Game - (1992, Neil Jordan)
Glengarry Glen Ross - (1992, James Foley)
The Fugitive - (1993, Andrew Davis)
Mad Dog and Glory - (1993, John McNaughton)
Philadelphia - (1993, Jonathan Demme)
Scent of a Woman - (1992, Martin Brest)
Thelma and Louise - (1991, Ridley Scott)
Groundhog Day - (1993, Harold Ramis)
Dazed and Confused - (1993, Richard Linklater)
A Few Good Men - (1992, Rob Reiner)
Slacker - (1991, Richard Linklater)

EVENTS
January 1991: Gulf War: Operation Desert Storm begins with air strikes against Iraq.
March 1991: An amateur video captures the beating of motorist Rodney King by Los Angeles, California police officers.
June 1991: Boris Yeltsin is elected President of Russia
July 1992: Mike Tyson is arrested and charged with the rape of Desiree Washington.
November 1991: LA Lakers point guard Magic Johnson announces that he has HIV.
February 1992: The 1992 Winter Olympics are held in Albertville, France.
July 1992: Manuel Noriega is sentenced to 40 years in prison for drug and racketeering violations.
August 1991: Hurricane Andrew hits south Florida
January 1993: Bill Clinton succeeds George H.W. Bush as the 42nd President of the United States.
February 1993: General Motors Corporation sues NBC, after Dateline NBC allegedly rigged 2 crashes showing that some GM pickups can easily catch fire if hit in certain places. NBC settles the lawsuit the following day.
February 1993: In New York City, a van bomb parked below the North Tower of the World Trade Center explodes, killing 6 and injuring over 1,000.
April 1993: 51-day stand-off at the Branch Davidian compound near Waco, Texas, ends with a fire that kills 76 people.
July 1993: Windows NT 3.1, the first version of Microsoft's line of Windows NT operating systems, is released to manufacturing.
December 1993: Bill Clinton signs into law the North American Free Trade Agreement.
 

Smkur50

SYTY Fleet owner
Re: 20 Years Later: Remembering The Early 90's...

I just remember I drove a 84 S10 in high school, sport trucks were cool. I wanted my S10 that was like a sports car, monochromatic paint, bucket seats, console shifter, ground effects and a v8! I drove an hour to see a guys s10 he dropped a 350 into..was as cool as it got. My S10 was kinda that but never made the complete transition.

WELL, then I think it was Car and Driver come out with the article about the Syclone VS Ferrari...I was blown away..it was the S10 I always wanted! AWD,, badass interior, turbo, coolest and best laid ground effects I ever saw, even come factory with a tonneau cover!

other than that..Hard Rock was dying, Vanilla Ice was stupid, 5.0 stangs were the "thing"...and I drank way too much beer..so it was a blur.:myclone:
 

warmpancakes

New member
Re: 20 Years Later: Remembering The Early 90's...

graduated HS in 1991 so 5.0s and TPI camaros were huge Nobody i know drove a import. Grunge was taking over Muscle cars prices started to skyrocket
 

Baythan

SY2TY2SY2TY
Re: 20 Years Later: Remembering The Early 90's...

In 1992, I bought my '87 GN with 19,000 miles for $13,000. I was 26 years old. It was going to be my daily driver but when it was hit while parked by a Winnebago the second week I brought it to work, then keyed soonafter, I garaged it and only put on 23k miles the next 9 years, selling it in 2001 for $12,700. (no digital pix :( )
 

ziembic

Donating Member
Re: 20 Years Later: Remembering The Early 90's...

In 1993, I was 12 years old and was learning to drive in my dads (to be my) typhoon.
 

TNPhoon

1of28
Re: 20 Years Later: Remembering The Early 90's...

Early 90's Mens Fashion

In the early 1990s flannel became popular and lasted through most of the decade. Unlike the fitted Western shirts of the 70s which fastened with pearl snaps, the flannel shirts of the 1990s were padded and loose-fitting for optimum warmth. Preppy clothing was popular in the US, where wealthy young men wore khaki slacks, navy blue blazers and canvas boat shoes. Men also wore Converse All Stars, straight-leg jeans like Levi 501s, wool sweaters, black leather jackets, sheepskin coats, Members Only jackets, corduroy, anoraks, polo shirts, white Adidas trainers and Aviator sunglasses popularized by rock star Freddie Mercury.
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: 20 Years Later: Remembering The Early 90's...

I graduated in 91. Where I was their were a lot more fbodies than 5.0's but at the street races 5.0's were the car to have because you could run 13's relatively easily. GN were the ticket because they would run 12 with minimal mods and 11's without breaking the bank. GN were quite a bit more expensive than pony cars. In my area almost no one into racing imports. We had 2 Shelby glhs show up once on while.
 

Finallyaty

New member
Re: 20 Years Later: Remembering The Early 90's...

Wanted a Sy since my senior year in 1991 when a saw one blow a 454ss pickup away! My brother owned the 454ss! Now married and kids so the Ty works better but still looking for the perfect Sy for me! Both my daughters want my Ty! Just a little testament to how cool these things are when a spoiled 16 yr old wants a Ty!
 

BMFB

Not to scale
Re: 20 Years Later: Remembering The Early 90's...

I was 7 when my truck was built, I was in second grade. I remember mastering jumping off swings, and, as I recall, the biggest thing that came out that year in my world was the K'nex Roller Coster.
 

sharkbait

New member
Re: 20 Years Later: Remembering The Early 90's...

92 one year outta HS. rockn my v8vega, small tire, roll cage, full interior and kicker box. trying to win my then friend, now wife over with flowers. i guess it worked cause she married me........oh god..... the guido "skidz" flannel pants. usually worn by muscle heads (i didnt have any musceles)

i remember some guy in a white ty spanking everyone on the blvd. he looked like fabio the "i cant believe its not butter" model. noone could beat him on the street. there was also a chinese guys with a white turbo TA. he took $200 from me.
 

BMFB

Not to scale
Re: 20 Years Later: Remembering The Early 90's...

fabio whoopin ass in a white ty would be pretty neat to see
 

Maxtor

New member
Re: 20 Years Later: Remembering The Early 90's...

I was working for GM in 91 driving an 88 Grand Am with a Quad 4. It was cool and really fast..... Incredible how perceptions change! It had the problem with "morning sickness" though which was a result of a valve problem in the rack and pinion and caused the steering to almost completely lock up at random. It almost caused me to go head on with another car. Still a far cry better than the 83 Escort that got me through college, though.

After that incident I sold the Grand Am and became ultra cool by buying a new Sonoma GT in 1992.... which started an obsessive relationship with S-trucks that suck money faster than a hoover.
 

tbauer03

TRBOBOX
Re: 20 Years Later: Remembering The Early 90's...

I was developing my driving/racing skills with Super Mario Kart
mariokart-snes.jpg
 

johnboy89

Member
Re: 20 Years Later: Remembering The Early 90's...

Started my current job in 91 and the 5.0 Mustang was the car to have in my area.........

Drove an 88 black GT for awhile at that time
 

MRKING

New Parts for Old Trucks
Re: 20 Years Later: Remembering The Early 90's...

Ice Ice Baby was all your favorite songs in 90-91 .
 

gbrown

New member
Re: 20 Years Later: Remembering The Early 90's...

Everytime I step into the garage. :banghead:

IMG_20110419_203815.jpg
 
Last edited:

eviltwin

"junkyard syclone"
Re: 20 Years Later: Remembering The Early 90's...

i was 3 in 1990, so i dont remember any of the early 90s
 

tnsyty

Active member
Re: 20 Years Later: Remembering The Early 90's...

I remember building the 91 Syclone model for 4H? and not really thinking much about it until years later when i decided to look up "Syclone" on the internet. Then I found about Typhoons, and had to have one. (I drove a 91 black blazer back then and was in love with those trucks. Then I joined the old Mailing list.

On a side note, I love my 90's civic as well.
 
Top