20g Spools Ok With Stock Converter

Took the truck for a test run today. It was in the fortys and it was the first time it has been out since November. The clipped 20g with stock converter worked just fine. Had the ultimate on T-1. I know I should not go with too much boost without it being tuned but took a chance and did three boost launches.

The first one was with 10lbs and came off the line with all four spinning and sideways. The second was with 5lbs and I could feel and hear the rear tires spinning. The last one was with 3lbs and the rear tires still spun. Maybe the roads were too cold for traction.
I only stayed in it in first and second. The truck ran flawless and stronger than ever.

Tomorrow I will start installing the SMC Alky and look for someone to help me with tuning. I purchased a new radiator over flow tank from the dealer and sent it to SMC. The pump will be attached to the A/C accumulator with a bracket that a friend fabbed with stainless.Hope to get some pictures once the install is complete.

After not driving the truck for over three months. It was just like driving one for the first time. I love these trucks. Thank God I didn't have one of these when I was a teenager. I would probably not be here right now. These trucks are amazing.
 

It's just a six

Super Member
Re: 20g Spools Ok With Stock Converter

cdezzz said:
Do you have the big or little housing?
X2
what are the specs on the turbo?
Is that just a 20g compressor wheel?
If you clip a true 20G turbo,you will lose 200-300 RPM before you can build up boost.
What is the stall on your torque converter?
 
Last edited:
Re: 20g Spools Ok With Stock Converter

I think it was a 12cm that was used. It was built by Tim's Turbo. I don't know too much about the internals but I can call him monday and ask. I do know that it has a 38mm waste gate. He owned a Typhoon and is familiar with out trucks. I have no lag at all when I punch it but it does take a second or two before the boost starts building when brake boosting. I can even build over 10lbs and the tires are chirpping after it shifts to second gear. He said it would be good for about 450hp. I guess that means at the crank.

After the meth install and some tuning, I hope to be able to crank it up to about 22-24lbs. My truck ran strong even when it was bone stock. It only has 21k.
 

It's just a six

Super Member
Re: 20g Spools Ok With Stock Converter

HAMMERHEAD said:
I have no lag at all when I punch it but it does take a second or two before the boost starts building when brake boosting.That is lag I can even build over 10lbs and the tires are chirpping after it shifts to second gear.

I have a 12 CM housing aslo. I can get 20 PSI of boost if I wanted to w/my old 20G turbo w/a 12 cm housing.2100 RPM converter.
Guys here were thinking you have a 14 CM housing that is why we commented that it is probably not a true 20G turbo sort to speak. ;) Because if you had a 14 CM housing,it would be really hard to get much boost at all w/a stock tight converter.
 
Re: 20g Spools Ok With Stock Converter

I've been very lucky. Everything that I have done to this truck has worked out perfect. If my meth install works out like I expect. All my mods will be done after I learn how to tune it with the meth. I drive the truck only on weekends and take it to lots of car shows. Not yet seen another at a show in my area. I usually put about 2-3k on it each year in the summer. Nothing better than cruising down the ave knowing that you usually own the street.
 
Re: 20g Spools Ok With Stock Converter

Yes, I will be going to the track. I hope to have the meth installed by next weekend and then I will try to find someone to help tune or buy the equipment and do it myself with the help of this forum. I hope to run some low 12's. My goal is to run a high 11. I know I won't do it the first time but with all the mods I have and how flawless my truck runs, It might be possible. I've got a feeling that I'm gonna have a traction problem, Even with low boost.

With the turbo upgrade, my truck really seems fast now. The closest track from where I live is Numedia Raceway. It's only about 45 minuites away. Im gonna probably take it out today and practice on some launching. I have and industrial park about 5 minuites away with lots of giant parking lots behind the buildings.
 

It's just a six

Super Member
Re: 20g Spools Ok With Stock Converter

Cool,
what alky injection system did you buy?
Have you taken it to a track or tried a G-Tec,or something simular?

The very minimal mods I had done to my Sy & ran low 12's it was not hard at all as long as you keep your KR's down,keep your mat's down & have a good running engine.
Heck I did low 12's w/a pitbull chip, pump gas & no meth,but some people say that is not the norm. My Sy also has low miles maybe that's part of the reason it runs decent?

At the time ,most guys bolt on all kinds of mods & expect it to run really hard.

I just did one mod @ a time ran it see if it helped & went on the the next little mod & so-on
 
Re: 20g Spools Ok With Stock Converter

I have the SMC progressive system and I have never used any type of device to measure my times. As for mods, I have walbro pump with the racetronic wiring harness,johnson pump that is hot wired. taylor pro wires,new cap and rotor, fresh plugs gapped at 28,adjustable fuel pressure regulator,ultimate chip for stock injectors, smooth turbo to IC hose,hi flow ss 3 inch cat and a three inch exhaust with borla sportsman muffler. I also belled the inlet of the upper IC. I also installed a fp gauge and boost gauge. I installed all the items listed in the 12 sec recipe.
 

Tooky

Serious about performance
Re: 20g Spools Ok With Stock Converter

This is a great post!! THANKS for sharing your real world experiences with everyone. These are some of the most useful posts the board gets. There are some owners who aren't willing to share their experiences with the community, glad to hear you are not one of them!

Also, I agree you are lucky to get such good results and have everything work right the first time!! I would also say you are lucky to get a non-stock turbo to spool so well on a stock converter! A friend of mine installed a 20G 14cm2 on his stock trans/converter truck and it was the laggiest setup I've ever seen.... Didn't even hit full boost until 2nd gear.

As far as that alky tuning - PM Sent!
 

jbone

Member
Re: 20g Spools Ok With Stock Converter

It's just a six said:
I have a 12 CM housing aslo. I can get 20 PSI of boost if I wanted to w/my old 20G turbo w/a 12 cm housing.2100 RPM converter.
Guys here were thinking you have a 14 CM housing that is why we commented that it is probably not a true 20G turbo sort to speak. ;) Because if you had a 14 CM housing,it would be really hard to get much boost at all w/a stock tight converter.

not true. I have a 20G 14cm, and a stock converter. Ive only brought it up to about 7lbs. on a launch which is when my brakes couldnt hold it anymore. It definitely does lag, but I accidentally ran it up to 26lbs. once :oops:
 

It's just a six

Super Member
Re: 20g Spools Ok With Stock Converter

jbone said:
not true. I have a 20G 14cm, and a stock converter. Ive only brought it up to about 7lbs. on a launch which is when my brakes couldnt hold it anymore. It definitely does lag, but I accidentally ran it up to 26lbs. once :oops:

No sure what you mean is not true ??????????
 

jbone

Member
Re: 20g Spools Ok With Stock Converter

"if you had a 14 CM housing,it would be really hard to get much boost at all w/a stock tight converter"

Thats what I meant by not true. Sorry I prob. should have been more clear with that.
 
Re: 20g Spools Ok With Stock Converter

agreed; the big housing turbo is a SLUG!!!
without a 3k stall it'd be as exciting to drive as a Kia.
mine wouldnt hardly pull itself up a hill till the converter went in.
now it's way strong, but i wouldnt drive it without an aftermarket converter.
the 12cm housing is a MUCH better choice for a stock converter.
 
Top