Anyone ever thrown a 350 into a SyTy?

bigmellon

New member
Hey all, I am a new member to the site, although I have been checking it out every now and then over the years! :)

I used to have a nice '92 Sonoma ST and always dreamed of swapping a 350 into that little guy. That truck is long gone, and now that I am looking around for a play toy... I would like to step up to the Syclone. However, I always seem to complicate things in the search for more power.

I was wondering if anyone has done a V8 swap (alum. block, twin turbo?) into a Syclone or Typhoon? I know a V8 is tight on normal Sonomas or S10s, but is there enough room to shoe horn one in there? Would you have to move the engine back in the chassis? Anyone toyed around with this?

Am I crazy for even thingking of doing this? Many of you on this site seem like you know most of what there is to know about SyTy tech... Shine some light on me here...
 

Syborg Twin Turbo

Syborg Twin Turbo
I was wondering if anyone has done a V8 swap (alum. block, twin turbo?) into a Syclone or Typhoon? I know a V8 is tight on normal Sonomas or S10s, but is there enough room to shoe horn one in there? Would you have to move the engine back in the chassis? Anyone toyed around with this?

Okay looking back on my project - Twin Turbo v6 it might have been cheaper to build a v8.

So long story short
- yep it's been done.
- damm was it fast
- yep it looked nice
- damm was it fast
- yep i would reccommend it
- damm i wish i would have bought it.

www.sportmachines.com/gallery/badasssy


112_1273.jpg
 

ABLITZ

Damn Yankee
Re: Anyone ever thrown a 350 into a SyTy?

bigmellon said:
Hey all, I am a new member to the site, although I have been checking it out every now and then over the years! :)

I used to have a nice '92 Sonoma ST and always dreamed of swapping a 350 into that little guy. That truck is long gone, and now that I am looking around for a play toy... I would like to step up to the Syclone. However, I always seem to complicate things in the search for more power.

I was wondering if anyone has done a V8 swap (alum. block, twin turbo?) into a Syclone or Typhoon? I know a V8 is tight on normal Sonomas or S10s, but is there enough room to shoe horn one in there? Would you have to move the engine back in the chassis? Anyone toyed around with this?

Am I crazy for even thingking of doing this? Many of you on this site seem like you know most of what there is to know about SyTy tech... Shine some light on me here...

go right ahead and make my 90k mile peice of shit worth even more!

Thanks! :D
 

AlaskaTy

New member
The general consensus is to buy a cheap s-10, drop a crate engine in it and add turbo(s). You'll be paying a hell of a lot more for a syclone just to yank the part that makes it so expensive.
 

Trizney

Donating Member
AlaskaTy said:
The general consensus is to buy a cheap s-10, drop a crate engine in it and add turbo(s). You'll be paying a hell of a lot more for a syclone just to yank the part that makes it so expensive.

He gets the AWD, which is a bonus.
 

sy112

New member
AlaskaTy said:
The general consensus is to buy a cheap s-10, drop a crate engine in it and add turbo(s). You'll be paying a hell of a lot more for a syclone just to yank the part that makes it so expensive.

what he said
 

bigmellon

New member
That is a pretty cool setup he has on that Bad assy... Am I mistaken, or was it carbureted?? She did fit in there pretty nice though. Thanks a lot for the info!! That was exactly what I was looking for. 9.41s in the 1/4... Damn...

I understand the idea of building a stout S-10, but I do like the all wheel drive and the cladding on the Syclone. I could probably rip a front diff out of a safari and pony up some $$ for the AWD transfer case and cladding... But would it wind up being more expensive to make a syclone "clone" than to just buy one with a good body and a blown motor???

Anyone know of a good sy with some serious engine trouble??
 

MyTyphoon1993

Active member
bigmellon said:
That is a pretty cool setup he has on that Bad assy... Am I mistaken, or was it carbureted?? She did fit in there pretty nice though. Thanks a lot for the info!! That was exactly what I was looking for. 9.41s in the 1/4... Damn...

I understand the idea of building a stout S-10, but I do like the all wheel drive and the cladding on the Syclone. I could probably rip a front diff out of a safari and pony up some $$ for the AWD transfer case and cladding... But would it wind up being more expensive to make a syclone "clone" than to just buy one with a good body and a blown motor???

Anyone know of a good sy with some serious engine trouble??
1k for s10 body
3k for fiberglass cladding
1k for awd
And you figure out the rest of how much money you want to spend on the motor.
Dont drop a v8 into an original sycone please.
 

sy112

New member
MyTyphoon93 said:
1k for s10 body
3k for fiberglass cladding
1k for awd
And you figure out the rest of how much money you want to spend on the motor.
Dont drop a v8 into an original sycone please.

what he said
 

bigmellon

New member
OK - I am starting to like the sound of those prices. Sure beats $9k and then start throwing money at it...

I did a search on cladding and came up with only the stock stuff. That was $5k alone... Plus, where do I find a good donor for $1k??
 

MyTyphoon1993

Active member
bigmellon said:
OK - I am starting to like the sound of those prices. Sure beats $9k and then start throwing money at it...

I did a search on cladding and came up with only the stock stuff. That was $5k alone... Plus, where do I find a good donor for $1k??
Ebay, s10 sites, and so on.
As far as cladding goes, search for pauls fiberglass cladding.
 

bigmellon

New member
OK - You got the wheels going now. I can do this.

But here is the kicker... I had a real nice 92 Sonoma that I offed a couple years ago. (pretty stupid in retrospect) I've got no idea where it is or even if it is still together... But is there any way to track it down if I still have the vin #???
 

Syborg Twin Turbo

Syborg Twin Turbo
bigmellon said:
OK - I am starting to like the sound of those prices. Sure beats $9k and then start throwing money at it...

I did a search on cladding and came up with only the stock stuff. That was $5k alone... Plus, where do I find a good donor for $1k??


Pauls select sell's the cladding but not the mounting hardware which is tough to find.

shoot me an e-mail and i'll send you a cheat sheet that has all of the part numbers for the syty stuff that you will need.

Side note - no offence guy's but when was the last time you saw a bone stock syclone or typhoon. Keeping the v6 and doing modifications doesn't mean it's a stock sy-ty anymore.

So in short be nice and if you don't like what someone is going to do to their TRUCK don't say anything at all. It makes this group seem ................ (can't think of the right word)

BTW - I'm a car guy i can appreciate what anyone does to their own car.
 

AlaskaTy

New member
marlborosyclone said:
Side note - no offence guy's but when was the last time you saw a bone stock syclone or typhoon. Keeping the v6 and doing modifications doesn't mean it's a stock sy-ty anymore.

So in short be nice and if you don't like what someone is going to do to their TRUCK don't say anything at all. It makes this group seem ................ (can't think of the right word)

BTW - I'm a car guy i can appreciate what anyone does to their own car.

I thought everyone was being quite civil about this topic, at least for the most part. I'm sure it would be chaper to make a clone (Only needs cladding and AWD), and if I were going to make a TT V8 S-10 I wouldn't start with syclone i'd get some beater with a good body.
 

Syborg Twin Turbo

Syborg Twin Turbo
Your correct Alaska Ty (btw I hope to visit Alaska one day) this thread hasn't gotton out of control like some in the past. Which is a good thing.

However if you still on the mailing list. The group consensus is a typhoon with a blown motor is worth between 2500 and 4000 dollar. I find that number to be a really low. So if you go by those numbers buying a sy or a ty is still cheaper.

other things you don't get
- really cool dash (compared to a stock s10)
- center consule & shifter
- custom seats
- shifterless column
- wheels & tires

Also you have a better chance of finding one in decent shape as most s10 are pretty beat up unless you live outside of the snow & salt belt.


last thing

http://www.sportmachines.com/gallery/redv8ty

this is teddy's old v8 typhoon clone

006_6A.jpg
 

phoonTy

Truckless. For now.
i'm warming up to the idea of people going v-8 in their trucks... but really only if it's force fed. There's just something about Syclones and Typhoons having to be turbo'd. Sure, we can make tons of hp/torque with a v-6, and eat V8s alive day in and day out...but to have those two extra cylinders! Shoot, if money were no object, I'd probably be talking to LPE and shoe-horning a TT427 into my truck. but as it is, I have yet to find the money tree, so my truck stays relatively stock.

My dream engine is in Troy Trepanier's Chicayne. 1200hp TT Small block V8...with the ability to go from 70mph - 135mph in 1.9 sec :eek: :p

To do that in a Typhoon.......
 

Syborg Twin Turbo

Syborg Twin Turbo
phoonTy said:
My dream engine is in Troy Trepanier's Chicayne. 1200hp TT Small block V8...with the ability to go from 70mph - 135mph in 1.9 sec :eek: :p

To do that in a Typhoon.......

TJ i am on the same page as you. The Chicayne is also one of my dream cars. He is a local guy to me and i have met Glen a couple of times as my father owns a 62 Bubble top. I have been a huge fan of Rad Rides and love the guy's work. I am planning a road trip come summer to go check out his shop.

I am also stealing idea's from him on the build of my sonoma gt. I just love that guy's work.

if you ever get time go to

www.pro-touring.com

they have some very cool cars.
 
Top