Bending some fuel lines, local tube stock source?

Daron

Active member
Anyone bend your own fuel lines? If so, what tubing did you use, and where did you get it? The local speed shop wants waaaaay to much cash per foot, looking for alternate sources.
Thanks,
 

Buster

New member
Daron what piece(s) do you need? I just replaced my fuel lines and I've got an extra section or two. Bending fuel line is kind of a bitch, I tried it without much luck.
 

JoeLutz

New member
The local NAPA store sells straight metal brake lines in a varety of sizes and lengths. Bends nice and makes good fuel lines.
 

Daron

Active member
Dave P.... Like a breath of fresh air blowing over the polluted plains... Glad you are here.

Thanks for the responses guys. Ok, what I am doing is rebuilding my fuel pump hanger assembly. Why? The line from the output of the fuel pump, that runs up and out of the tank was twisted real bad when I pulled the fuel pump out. Rusty and collapsed, it had to go. So, upon looking at it, I thought it looked like a simple job of R+R (famous last words). Just cut the line, and re-do the connector. I figured it was one simple bend and one very complicated fuel compression fitting (o-ring and all). So, I trimmed the line, just past the kink. Hmmm.... Ok I now have a little bit shorter line, without a connection. I ended up using a washer just big enough to slide onto the line, then I used a flaring tool to flare the end of the pipe. The washer slides up to where the flare starts and the o-ring pops on the end like in the real deal. All proud of myself, I go to clean things up with the grinder..... Slipped and gouged my refurbished line bad. So, now the fuel line from the pump, up to thru the hanger and out, is hosed.
I ended up cutting it off where it drops down into the tank, and drilling the top part out. I am kinda stubborn that way, damn thing wasn't gonna beat me. So if you follow, I now have a fuel pump hanger assembly with a 3/8 in hole where there used to be a fuel line for the output of the pump (pulsator used to hang out there). The local speed shop that had the hard line, had the fittings that they just "solder" on. So I decided to bend my own line, then take it to them for the proper fitting for our stock fuel line.
I ended up at Napa today and what do I find on the shelf right behind the guy at the counter? A "Fuel Line Connector repair" bag with a 3/8th inch fuel line about a foot in length, with the proper fitting for our fuel system on the end, (with the o-ring). So, I am going to bend the new line as best I can up top, then do some gradual curves down to the pump, instead of those two goofy bends the stock line had in it.. Then take it to the speed shop for some what he called "soldering". If it works, I will have about 15 bucks into the deal. If not, I will still have to buy a new fuel pump hanger assembly at about 180 bucks, and will have learned something in the process.
I took some pics, and when finished, if it works out, I will send them to UU so he can post them on the net somewhere.
Thanks,
 

Tydriver

TurboLS6 Powa'
Check this site out Daron... These DUDES RULE.....

There prices are decent, their service is nosebleed quick (they must use a Sy/Ty as the delivery vehicle).

I just ordered a bunch of stuff from them and everything comes faaaaaast and their selection is HUGE... U could spend all weekend on their site and not see the same thing twice..

McMaster-Carr

They prolly have the raw stock you are looking for and have the tool to bend it !
What more could you ask for ? :wink:

_________________
burnout.gif
signature.gif

9/11 Arrived 11-06 <--- Just waiting for that launch
Best 1/4 mi 13.7
Fastest Stock Truck & Best Paint Nats GB'01

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 92Typhoon on 2001-11-29 21:48 ]</font>
 

crsurf1

New member
I just ran some braided line up along the original and cut the crushed 90 degree bend off with a mini tube cutter. It looks good, is easy to remove or move out of way, and a lot easier than trying to bend and route steel tube. You can also put another fuel filter right before going into the fuel rails if you want to. Earls makes the o-ring fittings.
Craig
 

Daron

Active member
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, while I didnt use most, I did consider them and appreaciate the help. I got everything back together today and am very happy with how it turned out. Replacing the twisted and rusty fuel hanger line is pretty easy if you are inclined to drill and cut.
I took some pics, anyone care to host them?
 

Loeryder

New member
I'll trade you my last Diacom run for 'em.

I have reskinned some of my site with a fresh look upon Adam's advice.
There has been a lot of improvement in the quality of our web presence and with new sites soon to be debuted there is always room for more.

I am sticking to parts but am maintaining everything that is there.
Go check it out...
 

Daron

Active member
Thanks Jas! I just sent you a zip file of pics. Posting them on the internet will help me show what I did to re-do the hard line on the hanger assy.
I like the new buttons on the site BTW, but the old ones were fine too!
Take care,
 

Daron

Active member
Here is the new 3/8th inch line with connector I bought from NAPA. It was 12 bucks. A bit cheaper that the 200 bucks or more that the dealer wants for a new assembly:
line1.jpg


This is the top of the hanger assy after I removed the trashed original line:
topofhanger1.jpg


Here is another view:
hangerupsidedown.jpg


After measuring the original line for lengths and approximate bends, I bent up the line to look like these pics. If you dont have a quality tubing bender, Sears has a pretty good one for 19 bucks:
bentline.jpg


bentline1.jpg


I then verified it would fit and cut it to length:
linefit.jpg


pumpfit1.jpg


Once I was sure all was good, I torch soldered the line onto the hanger:
linesoldered.jpg


And some finished pics:
hangerdone.jpg


hangerdone2.jpg


I saved a few bucks and have a rather functional pump hanger, no more crimped fuel line. Everything seems to be holding up and working good.




_________________
Daron
1992 Typhoon Blue/Gray
1991 Syclone Best 1/4 12.42 @ 106.1
Member Of Freakin' Ohio (MOFO) SyTy
image11.jpg


<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Daron on 2001-12-05 12:15 ]</font>
 

Daron

Active member
I got an email question from a fellow that doesnt have a Napa nearby...
The answer to his question is:
You can buy almost identical fuel line repair kits at Advance Auto and even Auto Zone....
 

Daron

Active member
On 2001-12-07 16:51, OddfireV6 wrote:
I think you're full of sh*t, you just went and bought a new hanger. ;-P JK nice work

Haha.. Naw I am too cheap. If I think I can possibly save a buck or two...

Bad part is I normally spend 300 bucks fixing a $100 problem....
Bonus was I hadn't heard of another SyTy'r trying it. Thanks for the feedback :wink:
 

UNIsackV6

Member
Haha.. Naw I am too cheap. If I think I can possibly save a buck or two...

Bad part is I normally spend 300 bucks fixing a $100 problem....
Bonus was I hadn't heard of another SyTy'r trying it. Thanks for the feedback :wink:

I hate saving money I just like to spend it 8-P You are very creative when it comes to solving SYTY issues. A large biceped birdie told me that you got the Alky Injection all ironed out with some plug trickery, very kewl...how much boost can you get away with now? Any new times with all the nice weather? We're gonna have to race soon I think :wink: Laters
 
Top