HP gains

91SY-1804

New member
I've got an ATR downpipe and I believe it's a three inch pipe. What kind of horsepowerr gains should I expect from this install? I do have a borla cat back as well. I've been quoted anywhere from $200-$250 to have it put in. I think at that rate I'll do it myself. Also what kind of gains should I expect from an upgraded intercooler?
 

VermontTy

Support Our Troops
Re: HP gains

This is such an open-ended question, its impossible to give you a good answer. It all depends on what you do to the truck after this stuff is done. What power will you get from a 3" downpipe and "upgraded" intercooler (upgraded how?), probably not a whole lot; 10, 20? I have NO idea.

Lowering your intake temperatures won't really make you power. Lowering your intake temps will allow you to run more boost and timing without knock retard, and that is where you make more power. See? Look at the below info from a dyno run with a Ultimate chip.

T1-15 (EGR Enabled): 323.7 HP @ 4200 RPM and 424.3 FT-LBS @ 3700 RPM
T1-16 (EGR Disabled): 348.8 HP @ 3950 RPM and 464 FT-LBS @ 3950 RPM
T2-20 (EGR Disabled): 385.8 HP @ 3950 RPM and 512.4 FT-LBS @ 3950 RPM


The T1-15, T1-16 and T2-20 are all timing and boost settings from one particular chip setting. There is T1,T2 and T3; T3 being most agressive, and T1 being mild. "T2-20" is semi-agressive timing, 20psi boost. You get the picture. The parts on these runs are all the same. The owner of this truck installed parts to allow him to properly fuel 20psi at more agressive timing, but didn't see any HP gains to speak of until the chip took advantage of the parts. You can see the large swing in HP and TQ from dialing in which program to run. There is no T3 info, but you would expect T3-2X (I think around 24) to be WAY higher in all areas, if the truck was tuned well enough, and had enough capacity to run that much timing and boost withough knock retard.

Adding parts that allow you to run more boost or a couple degrees more timing will get you the gains you want. Higher fuel system capacity, lower intake temperatures and more timing will get you more HP. Just slapping parts on and not adjusting your boost, timing or fueling accordingly will probably just make your truck run like ass if you're lucky.
http://www.sportmachines.com/maintenance_tips.php
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
Re: HP gains

to install the ATR DP you will also need an atr turbo, turbo adaptor and ATR wastegate.
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: HP gains

VermontTy said:
Look at the below info from a dyno run with a Ultimate chip.

T1-15 (EGR Enabled): 323.7 HP @ 4200 RPM and 424.3 FT-LBS @ 3700 RPM
T1-16 (EGR Disabled): 348.8 HP @ 3950 RPM and 464 FT-LBS @ 3950 RPM
T2-20 (EGR Disabled): 385.8 HP @ 3950 RPM and 512.4 FT-LBS @ 3950 RPM

Adam, Do you know the mods this particular truck had (or who's truck it was)?
 

VermontTy

Support Our Troops
Re: HP gains

No sweat. Waste all of your free time here; search anything that you don't know, and read everything there is about it.
 

NecroWolf

lost marbles member
Re: HP gains

that t1-15 looks like the number i get when i do the math on my truck and all i have is a three inch exhuast, no cat and a k&n filter
 

VermontTy

Support Our Troops
Re: HP gains

NecroWolf said:
that t1-15 looks like the number i get when i do the math on my truck and all i have is a three inch exhuast, no cat and a k&n filter
It should. "Mild" timing, 15psi boost is probably very compararble to stock, and there have been many stock truck reported around 300hp/400tq.
 
Top