Is my Timing chain too loose ?

Codfish

New member
Please take a look at the attached video. I am rebuilding the engine for the second time I cant see needing a new timing chain after only 8000 miles, but it sure does look like it needs to be replaced...

Is this normal or is it too loose ?


http://youtu.be/PCtApgTKoFw



Thanx in Advance
 

Codfish

New member
Re: Is my Timing chain too loose ?

After further research I see that the parts Jockey (and the website) sold me one w/balance shaft... I guess that makes the chain longer ?
Here is what I found on the site:

1993 GMC Typhoon

73125 Includes Cam Spkt, Chain, Crank Spkt; 3 Pc.; LB4 Eng. w/Balance Shaft

Could this be the problem ?


Thanx in advance
 

Quickstop [UK]

Combating adversyty.
Re: Is my Timing chain too loose ?

I want to say yes. The balance shaft motor I built actually has a common service part because of the loose chain. It's a tensioner type item as the vortec motors were prone to rattle.

Can you exchange it/try the correct one easily?
 

Codfish

New member
Re: Is my Timing chain too loose ?

Thank you for responding... Ill exchange it ir-regardless (A Tom Cruise word haha). I just needed a second opinion... Once again Thank you !!!

~ Wayne



I want to say yes. The balance shaft motor I built actually has a common service part because of the loose chain. It's a tensioner type item as the vortec motors were prone to rattle.

Can you exchange it/try the correct one easily?
 

Codfish

New member
Re: Is my Timing chain too loose ?

Ok so i think I have a bigger issue than I thought... This block has been line honed twice and that is the issue (I think)... I installed a Cloyes c-3092 which is in the video below and it is still loose.

Is there a shorter chain I can purchase/ or can someone please recommend something I can do to tighten the chain ?

PLEASE HELP !

2nd video with the cloyes c3092 installed


https://youtu.be/th4qxtnqij0


Thank you in advance
Wayne
 
Last edited:

Dsy91

Donating Member
Re: Is my Timing chain too loose ?

Ok so i think I have a bigger issue than I thought... This block has been line honed twice and that is the issue (I think)... I installed a Cloyes c-3092 which is in the video below and it is still loose.

Is there a shorter chain I can purchase/ or can someone please recommend something I can do to tighten the chain ?

PLEASE HELP !

2nd video with the cloyes c3092 installed


https://youtu.be/th4qxtnqij0


Thank you in advance
Wayne
Ive had a few blocks line honed and didn't have that much slack in the chain. The last build I did in August was a lot tighter then that.
 
Top