Just bought a syclone and need help!

nickw

New member
Hey whats up guys?

I just bought a 91 syclone (not sure what number though, or how to tell) and it seemed to be running fine when I bought it. After driving it only a handful of times, 4 or 5, it has started to knock at an idle. I cant really tell if it does it at higher RPM or not from driving it. I took it for a little drive around the block and when I put it in park and listened it wasnt knocking...but after a few minutes of sitting there it starting doing it again. I am not sure what other kind of symptoms to post, but the trucks has a few extra guages and I have spent some time messing around with the truck to gather as much info as possible.

I dont know a lot about engines or cars, but I am very interested in learning. I dont know of anyone to help teach me about engines so everything I learn is going to have to be from here, doing things myself (which from what I hear about these trucks, this is going to be mostly how I learn), and any books you guys can recommend.

I have just recently started viewing this website and I think its great. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone and learning as much as possible. Thanks.
 
Re: Just bought a syclone and need help!

Welcome.I also live in Honolulu.Haven't seen other Sys' since I'm working weird hours. 'V" frequents this board and he's around here somewhere.I'm also a recent owner and done some steering and suspension work pita.Also some cladding repair-also time comsuming. For the three months I had it-put about 500 miles on it.
Check VIN-should be 1GDCT14Z3M880_ _ _ _,last 4 being your number build.
By any chance the Sy you bought have ZR1 Rims,aftermarket hood, probably aPTE turbo with the 3"downpipe and cutout and believe ATR exhaust ?
anyway good luck and enjoy your ride.
Steve
 

sy538

New member
Re: Just bought a syclone and need help!

How much oil pressure do you have at idle?
 

nickw

New member
Re: Just bought a syclone and need help!

Hey Steve....thats the one I bought. I hope I didnt make a stupid decision...lol. The guy I bought it from, Rick, told me about a guy named "V." All he really said was that he was good at tuning the trucks and what not, thats about it.

As far as oil pressure goes, it is running about 70psi....I am almost sure of that although it sounds a little high...I'll double check that though.
 

nickw

New member
Re: Just bought a syclone and need help!

Just wanted to bump this up and add some info. When the AC compressor cycles on the truck idles down from about 900 to about 500 RPM. When this occurs the knock gets a little louder...I also checked on the oil pressure I stated in the last post and it was correct.
 

blk00z28

Forced to by choice
Re: Just bought a syclone and need help!

Is the 70psi pressure at a cold start or warm? It will be high at start up. So if your checking it cold wait till its warm.
icon_wink.gif


Mine kinda did the same thing (the knocking) when it wasnt tuned and had a low idle speed. (I think it was 650rpm's) I also thought the florida heat made it worse then it really was but who knows.

You might need to get the idle speed turned up a little bit when the compressor kicks on. Again, mine did the same thing in this part as well before the tune. It would drop the rpm's and even stall alot of the time. Now with it being tuned it kicks up about 200rpm's when you turn the ac on. So I'd look into just pushing the idle speed up. Do you have a tuner program to do this? I'm assuming you dont. If you dont, you're going to have to talk to a tuner on the board to see if they can hook you up with some stuff.
 

nickw

New member
Re: Just bought a syclone and need help!

Ok...well I was out of town for a little while, thats why it has taken me 2 weeks or so to respond. I did some reading and came across something that mentioned that if you were running lean it could cause a knock. If this is true, I might think that this might be at least part of the problem. I cant remember all of the modifications that the guy had done to it before me right off hand, but I do remember him telling me that he hasnt upgraded the injectors. Do you guys think that I might benefit from a set of 50# injectors? I also have seen that with upgraded injectors you need some sort of chip...I have a Kenne Bell catalog that the guy gave to me, and they have a injector/chip combo. Do you guys know of any other places that sell this stuff, and do you think this might "tune" my computer to my needs like was suggested in the above post? Thanks for bearing with me.
 

sy538

New member
Re: Just bought a syclone and need help!

Yeah stay away from the Kenny Bell “KaBoom” chip, it got that nickname for a reason.

Knock is a term for detonation/preignition. When you read “running lean can cause knock” that is what they were talking about. With a big turbo and good exhaust your truck probably is running lean on top if you have the stock chip, but I really doubt that has anything to do with the noise your truck is making at idle.

Do you have a scantool?
 
Last edited:

nickw

New member
Re: Just bought a syclone and need help!

Yeah, I was thinking that it would knock worse at speed rather than at idle, but it was worth a shot. I clicked on that first link, sytychips.com, and my truck has something very similar to that already on it...dont know if its the exact same thing though.

Also, going back to the idling really low every now and again...it was still doing it again today and died while I was backing out of a parking spot, but fired right back up.

And, no I dont have a scantool. Where can I get a good one? This also reminds me that every now and then my check gauges light comes on but everything seems to be normal. Do you think it might be getting erroneous signals from time to time due to having some aftermarket guages?
 

sy538

New member
Re: Just bought a syclone and need help!

nickw said:
And, no I dont have a scantool. Where can I get a good one?

PPI Typhoon was making cables for ~$50, not sure if he started making them again or not.
http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27662
http://www.detroitturbo.com/
http://www.akmcables.com/index.htm
http://www.ttspowersystems.com/index.htm <-- almost everyone here uses this
http://www.supportfitness.com/mark/tunerpro/ <-- a few people use this
http://www.turbo-link.com/
http://www.andywhittaker.com/ecu/screen_shots.htm
 

nickw

New member
Re: Just bought a syclone and need help!

Thanks for the links for the scantools. Im not sure if I have underdrive pulleys or not. And how do I tell if I am over boosting?
 

Timbo

SyTy Stalker
Re: Just bought a syclone and need help!

Ty0279 said:
You meant CE light. ;) :lol:
It's been so long since I've seen mine, that I don't remember which one the SyTys have. Could've sworn it was Service Engine Soon...
 

nickw

New member
Re: Just bought a syclone and need help!

Well, the only time I have seen my check engine light was right after it died while reversing. The check gauges light comes on for about the first 10 min it is running and then goes out. But like I said, the only time it acts funny is when at an idle, while driving it doesnt act sluggish or anything, it has excellent throttle response.
 

Timbo

SyTy Stalker
Re: Just bought a syclone and need help!

What's your voltmeter look like at idle? When you turn on the AC? When you put the truck in reverse?
 
Top