Need Info on 93 Tahoe donor

gdiwicker

New member
Hey All,
My 92 Ty had an old Clifford alarm that was yanked out of it before I bought it and the power locks don't work. The hatch doesn't lock either as someone installed an alarm controlled solenoid. I found a four door Tahoe at my junkyard and wanted to know if there is a control module or brain that controls the factory locks that'll work with our trucks. If so where is it located? Lastly, can I purchase a control fob and have it programmed to this part?

Thanks,
Ryan
 

gstacky

Member
Re: Need Info on 93 Tahoe donor

First thing I would check is the wiring that is right behind your fuse panel on the driver side under the dash. This is the spot they usually tap in to to get the power locks to work via the alarm remote and you more than likely have a few wires that need to be reconnected, so start there. As for the hatch, same thing, they probably hooked into the wire, and when they pulled out the old system they gave it a yank and it is no longer hooked up. Follow the wire from the switch under the dash and I'm sure you will find a cut wire somewhere.
 

TY0618

Member
Re: Need Info on 93 Tahoe donor

When you say the hatch doesn't lock, do you mean you can turn the handle on the tailgate, and the rear window will open without the key? If so, than I'd say you need a new handle, or you need to re-code the lock cylinder. :dunno:
 

gdiwicker

New member
Re: Need Info on 93 Tahoe donor

When you say the hatch doesn't lock, do you mean you can turn the handle on the tailgate, and the rear window will open without the key? If so, than I'd say you need a new handle, or you need to re-code the lock cylinder. :dunno:

Yes when I turn the handle it just opens and never locks. There is an aftermarket solenoid mounted in the rear hatch. I figured without an alarm brain to control it, the hatch won't lock.
 

gdiwicker

New member
Re: Need Info on 93 Tahoe donor

First thing I would check is the wiring that is right behind your fuse panel on the driver side under the dash. This is the spot they usually tap in to to get the power locks to work via the alarm remote and you more than likely have a few wires that need to be reconnected, so start there. As for the hatch, same thing, they probably hooked into the wire, and when they pulled out the old system they gave it a yank and it is no longer hooked up. Follow the wire from the switch under the dash and I'm sure you will find a cut wire somewhere.

Cool, I'll do that. The truck is in the body shop getting the cladding sorted out so I'll look at it in a few days. Also, I gave them the syty cdrom so I can't research the diagram right now. What color are the wires in question?

Since I don't have a fob can I buy one and program it myself or do I have to go to the dealership? I did do a search on this subject but my situation is slightly different than what I found. I really hate to spend 200$ getting keyless back. If that's what I have to do, I'll just get another alarm.

Thanks Yo!
 

gstacky

Member
Re: Need Info on 93 Tahoe donor

Cool, I'll do that. The truck is in the body shop getting the cladding sorted out so I'll look at it in a few days. Also, I gave them the syty cdrom so I can't research the diagram right now. What color are the wires in question?

Since I don't have a fob can I buy one and program it myself or do I have to go to the dealership? I did do a search on this subject but my situation is slightly different than what I found. I really hate to spend 200$ getting keyless back. If that's what I have to do, I'll just get another alarm.

Thanks Yo!

The wires that will be cut will probably be an orange(power for the locks), a blue and a white(I think), but you will notice them as soon as you pull the fuse panel cover. Just look for the rubber grommet right under the e brake pedal with all the wires coming out of it, and follow that up. The wiring harness should unplug between the fuse box and the steering column, a black plug and a gray one, and then you can pull that short piece out if you need to fix them. It's a tight fit in there, so take your time and don't pull to much on anything. Hopefully that will fix your lock problem. And yes you will probably have to get the dealer to reprogram, but I don't know that for sure.
 

TY0618

Member
Re: Need Info on 93 Tahoe donor

Yes when I turn the handle it just opens and never locks. There is an aftermarket solenoid mounted in the rear hatch. I figured without an alarm brain to control it, the hatch won't lock.

My experiance is the lock tumblers seize, and than fail. Probably just the lock cyl.!
 
Top