NEW Engine Tiedown's/ Torque-strap's

oboym

New member
Re: NEW Engine Tiedown's/ Torque-strap's

Here is what i have now. but wold like to see if you can make a bracket that will go on the alternator and have the ratchet strap bolt on to it

MVC-004S-1.jpg
[/IMG]
 

turbodig

Active member
Re: NEW Engine Tiedown's/ Torque-strap's

blackbeast1 said:
instead of making a metal brace, why don't you just put in solid motor mounts?

You can put the turnbuckle setup in in a matter of minutes, vs. hours.

I've never seen a broken mount on a vehicle with this type of arrangement. Or even a simple strap.

An ounce of prevention...
 

nallj92

Active member
Re: NEW Engine Tiedown's/ Torque-strap's

ZMann said:
Does the bolt thread into the altenator bracket or can I put a nut on the other end? I think my threads are stripped out....

Also, after you tighten the turn buckle, doesn't it loosen up on you? The one I have now... seems I am always tightening the damn thing...

Interested as well.

i have not had it loosen up when its tight it doesnt really move.
It uses the threads in the alt braket, but i wouldnt worry if its stripped, its still putting a load on it so it wont back out the alt bracket, the old brackets i had nuts but found with this alum they were not needed due to tighter clearances when things are machined rather than hand done.
 

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
Re: NEW Engine Tiedown's/ Torque-strap's

Has anybody broken one of these? Im curious to know also if anyone has broken the ALT bracket using this. Since these are no longer made, I see I can make this myself pretty quick easy and cheap so thought I would ask if anyone has broken any before I switch to this method.
 

91blazins10

Active member
Re: NEW Engine Tiedown's/ Torque-strap's

Has anybody broken one of these? Im curious to know also if anyone has broken the ALT bracket using this. Since these are no longer made, I see I can make this myself pretty quick easy and cheap so thought I would ask if anyone has broken any before I switch to this method.

I have had one on my typhoon for almost 3 years and after many launches there has never been any problems.
 

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
Re: NEW Engine Tiedown's/ Torque-strap's

I had noticed the open end on the turn buckle. I have pulled several of these apart on their first lunch. I would definitely do mine with a closed end or welded up. My main concern is the ALT brackets strength. If you guys say there have been no issues, I am going to make one today.
 

J-bird

Member
Re: NEW Engine Tiedown's/ Torque-strap's

I broke the alt bracket on my ty when installing this tiedown, but it wasn't the tiedowns fault. I was in a hurry and tried to press the sliding thing in the bitch bracket over to get my new alternator on. I was tapping that sliding insert over with a small sledge hammer and accidentally hit the cast aluminum part of the bracket, braking off one of the ears. I could not find a new or used alt bracket locally, so I just stuck the pice back on the bolt and installed the tiedown anyway! I ran the truck like this for almost 2 years and never had a problem with the bracket or the tie down. This tiedown is an awesome idea for those who don't want solid mounts!!
 
Top