New Member...New Owner

jordan0806

New member
Just bought a Dark Emerald Green TY this week...picking up Saturday.
ATR Chip
Fully built tranny and converter
Griffin red w/ electric fans
Flowmaster exhaust
minor mods

I'm from Northern Cal.

Going to use the TY for my daily driver.
Always wanted one since I was a kid...never had the cash till now to do so.

I have 4 other vehicles.

one for sale..


2004 Mitsu Galant
2005 Riced out Scion....disclaimer..I sold it to a cousin who riced it our and couldnt afford so I bought it back.

1993 Mustang LX hatch - Forged, Bored, 6-speed, nitrous, and blown...yes it's fast enough
1988 Mustang Vert - For Sale....lots of mods to this one too...side pic in sig...


I really want midly mod my TY....looking to get a stout bottom end...the trans is done...and want to put a bigger turbo on....I'll look around for tuners ....and maybe a 50 shot of nitrous...

i HAVE to have a 12 second daily driver....my convertible is one...so this one has to be too....

Any ideas would be great...of course I'll search here too....
 

SYO237

SyTy Registry
Re: New Member...New Owner

Congrats...

My only .02 would be to stay away from the laughing gas. With the correct build and combo, you wont need it. There are very few who go the way of NOS and have come out with a no hassle setup that hasnt severly damaged parts.

Bottom end, you can go 4 bolt and combo out with JE and Eagles, pretty common build for us.

Even without going into the bottom end, some custom chip tuning on a 3 Bar, turbo / fuel upgrades and your going 12s all day long without breaking the bank to much.....until the trans breaks again, which it will.

You'll find lots of opinion on what you need to do, so just read up and do some searching and figure out what is right for you and your truck.

:tup:
 

jbone

Member
Re: New Member...New Owner

SYO237 said:
Congrats...

My only .02 would be to stay away from the laughing gas. With the correct build and combo, you wont need it. There are very few who go the way of NOS and have come out with a no hassle setup that hasnt severly damaged parts.

Bottom end, you can go 4 bolt and combo out with JE and Eagles, pretty common build for us.

Even without going into the bottom end, some custom chip tuning on a 3 Bar, turbo / fuel upgrades and your going 12s all day long without breaking the bank to much.....until the trans breaks again, which it will.

You'll find lots of opinion on what you need to do, so just read up and do some searching and figure out what is right for you and your truck.

:tup:

wow you should be a salesman....If I didnt already own one of these, id believe it! :tup:
 

jordan0806

New member
Re: New Member...New Owner

SYO237 said:
Congrats...

My only .02 would be to stay away from the laughing gas. With the correct build and combo, you wont need it. There are very few who go the way of NOS and have come out with a no hassle setup that hasnt severly damaged parts.

Bottom end, you can go 4 bolt and combo out with JE and Eagles, pretty common build for us.

Even without going into the bottom end, some custom chip tuning on a 3 Bar, turbo / fuel upgrades and your going 12s all day long without breaking the bank to much.....until the trans breaks again, which it will.

You'll find lots of opinion on what you need to do, so just read up and do some searching and figure out what is right for you and your truck.

:tup:

thanks for the advice....

I'd like to go with a 4-bolt and like 18 psi on a PTE44 or maybe GT30....have an ATR chip and 3-bar map already....

but who tunes for these things?...what program they use to tune with anyways?
 

QUICK STORM

B.A.M.F. BMW Tech
Re: New Member...New Owner

welcome, where in NorCal are you?

get rid of the flowmaster exhaust. search the board there are lots of info on here.

i will be adding you to the NorCal role call, send me a pic of your truck
 

SYO237

SyTy Registry
Re: New Member...New Owner

jbonehead85 said:
wow you should be a salesman....If I didnt already own one of these, id believe it! :tup:

Thanks, I think? :rotf: If I could only use that towards getting a bigger paycheck at work :tup:


As far as tuning goes Jordan, goto the Vendors section. You got people like Micheal Hood, John Waller, Phil Long and many others on here who can help out in the chipping department. We also have a Chipping Section where you can do some heavy reading on research and development.

Some of the favorite tuner programs used are Datamaster, TunerPro, and TunerCat. You can easily purchase stuff like moates adapters and rommulators to be able to do tuning on the fly and burn your chips as you drive, however unless you understand how to change bin files, its recommended you dont sail those waters until you have the knowledge first.
 

Jimmy

Banned
Re: New Member...New Owner

You can go 12's pretty easi;y.The first thing you need to do is get the truck running 100% in stock form (13.4-13.7)

The first thing you should do is get Datamaster.It is an invaluable diagnostic tool.You need to give your truck a complete ignition tuneup,upgrade the fuel pump,check for vacuum leaks,make sure the TV cable is adjusted right,upgrade the front propshaft,hardwire the IC pump,replace the IC metal lines with 3/4" heater hose,get an AFPR,check for boost leaks,learn how to boost launch,and read everything you can on here to learn about your truck.

Great bunch of guys here who will help you get everything squared away.Welcome aboard,and be prepared to spend your last dime on the money pit you just bought.
 

jordan0806

New member
Re: New Member...New Owner

Man you guys are f--kin great...A lot of good advice just got thrown at me...

I'm pretty familiar with the fuel/turbo/intercooler side...

However, the tuning side is my big concern...I have an Innovative LM-1 RPM 2 kit....but I am used to tuning Fox Body mustangs and Ricer mobiles...Early every car I owned that is fast has had a stand alone computer ...like my current "fast" ride which has a stand alone AEM computer...it's easy to adjust fuel and timing maps with my laptop....

I was just hoping that there was a way to do the same with myTyphoon...I realize they are older and there is probably no way to do it....so I'll look into getting something adjustable for my setup...

the most wicked I'll go is a solid 12..I'd figure it's enough for me..since I already have another ride that makes 500/500 to the rear wheels WITHOUT a shot of nitrous...and 600with...so being the fastest is not my goal with the truck.....but dusting LS1's and GT's is....


plus I don't like replacing 700R4 parts....lol....
 

jbone

Member
Re: New Member...New Owner

if you can get the cash for an aem standalone you could probably afford soemthing like "F.A.S.T." -I think thats standalone, im just as lost if not more on tuning
 

jordan0806

New member
Re: New Member...New Owner

ircwet said:
Welcome.....BTW did you buy that from Allen ?


Yep..I'm picking it up from him on Saturday....Why? any insights into the truck?

oh and its a small world
 

jordan0806

New member
Re: New Member...New Owner

jbonehead85 said:
if you can get the cash for an aem standalone you could probably afford soemthing like "F.A.S.T." -I think thats standalone, im just as lost if not more on tuning


FASt would be nice...but it's a lot of wiring to do...the AEM unit just replaces the stock ECU and yuo can use your existing fuel inj. wires and spark control to tune....makes it a super nice unit
 

SBNova

New member
Re: New Member...New Owner

For around $2-300, you can tune your stock ECM just like an aftermarket unit. The downside is that its more complex- because the stock ECM is MUCH more powerfull, the upside is that it can be replaced at nearly any auto parts store if its operation is in question.

Go to Moates.net and check out all the tuning stuff he has. If it says it works for a TPI (like a vette or camaro) it will work for us. Our ECM is a #1227749, and if you have any question about parts compatablility just email Mr Craig Moates- he's a great guy.

For tuning software, check out Datamaster at TTSpowersystems.com or try my favorite which is Tunerpro RT. Tunerpro RT is a one stop program, that will let you scan the aldl stream for data as well as decipher the info on your current chip (you would need an eprom reader/burner to do so) and it will also edit the chip's info. If you get the real time hardware, like an Autoprom, Ostrich or Prominator, you can use Tunerpro RT to tune your truck in real time. It also has teh ability to input a signal from your wideband and datalog that too.

Post some pics of the Ty when you get it, and post the last 4 didgits of your VIN #.
 

jordan0806

New member
Re: New Member...New Owner

SBNova said:
For around $2-300, you can tune your stock ECM just like an aftermarket unit. The downside is that its more complex- because the stock ECM is MUCH more powerfull, the upside is that it can be replaced at nearly any auto parts store if its operation is in question.

Go to Moates.net and check out all the tuning stuff he has. If it says it works for a TPI (like a vette or camaro) it will work for us. Our ECM is a #1227749, and if you have any question about parts compatablility just email Mr Craig Moates- he's a great guy.

For tuning software, check out Datamaster at TTSpowersystems.com or try my favorite which is Tunerpro RT. Tunerpro RT is a one stop program, that will let you scan the aldl stream for data as well as decipher the info on your current chip (you would need an eprom reader/burner to do so) and it will also edit the chip's info. If you get the real time hardware, like an Autoprom, Ostrich or Prominator, you can use Tunerpro RT to tune your truck in real time. It also has teh ability to input a signal from your wideband and datalog that too.

Post some pics of the Ty when you get it, and post the last 4 didgits of your VIN #.


Looks like I'm going to take your advice and go with the TunerRt and Ostrich software...should I still get a Datamaster for diagnostic tuning?
 
Top