New Paint, but Clear Scratches Easily??

Hey Guys,
Just got my vehicle painted black and cleared. Payed close to 4 grand to a reputable shop to have the work done. But know that I have the truck back and am reassembling everything, I notice that rubbing against the truck with clothes, or even your finger will put scratches in the clear. These are absolutly no swirls in the clear at all, they said they dont use sanders and do it all by hand. They also said they wetsanded and polished the truck after the clear was done. Im very happy with the paint, the reflection is amazing, and it is the smoothest paint I ve ever felt with no visible swirls in the clear. So my question, is this normal after a week and a half after clear to still be this delicate?? If so what can I put on it, wax, some type of liquid glass coating?? Its like maybe they didnt put enough hardner in the clear, or thinned it out to much to get it to flow nicely?? They said they used PPG base and medium quality PPG clear?? Looking for a professional opinion before I go back and notify the painter. Thanks guys, Fern
 

SY2455

70's Veteran
Re: New Paint, but Clear Scratches Easily??

truckins10 said:
Hey Guys,
Just got my vehicle painted black and cleared. Payed close to 4 grand to a reputable shop to have the work done. But know that I have the truck back and am reassembling everything, I notice that rubbing against the truck with clothes, or even your finger will put scratches in the clear. These are absolutly no swirls in the clear at all, they said they dont use sanders and do it all by hand. They also said they wetsanded and polished the truck after the clear was done. Im very happy with the paint, the reflection is amazing, and it is the smoothest paint I ve ever felt with no visible swirls in the clear. So my question, is this normal after a week and a half after clear to still be this delicate?? If so what can I put on it, wax, some type of liquid glass coating?? Its like maybe they didnt put enough hardner in the clear, or thinned it out to much to get it to flow nicely?? They said they used PPG base and medium quality PPG clear?? Looking for a professional opinion before I go back and notify the painter. Thanks guys, Fern

We just got my son 98 Trans Am back from being repair (the driver door got back into in a parking lot & it needed a door to fix). They said not to do any thing for 90 days to allow the paint to cure.
 

cloneman315

Active member
Re: New Paint, but Clear Scratches Easily??

thats normal mine is the same way when we painted it,use a good wash sponge and a micro fiber towel to dry and a california car duster for the dirt or it will scratch so easy even with a finger
 

Captain Morgan

Moderated User
Re: New Paint, but Clear Scratches Easily??

like said above, 90 days is pretty much the "standard" for wait time before doing anything on the paint work, meaning its usually the paint is still a littel "green" (soft) till then.

Do not wax it, do not buff it and I personally wouldnt even wash it because you would then be forced into drying it off and I wouldnt leave it to dry naturally for it to leave water spots in the soft clear.

If you rub it accidentally and it gets a little scratch, leave it alone. Come back to it in in 90 days or go back to the body shop and see if they can take it would for you. Usually for a $4K paint job the will.

Id love to see some pictures though, even if the cladding is still off.
 

cloneman315

Active member
Re: New Paint, but Clear Scratches Easily??

it will always be like that my paint job is a 10 and u can see a mark even if u rub your finger it scrathes.its because when the wetsanded it and buffed they took out the orange peel u have to be very carefull when washing it rinse it down several times be4 u wash it with a sponge not a mit ,towel dry it and hand glaze only with a micro fiber towel and u will never scratch it
 

silver-sy

New member
Re: New Paint, but Clear Scratches Easily??

I'm sorry but if you paid $4000 for a paint job and they used medium grade clear I would be pissed! If you press your finger into the paint does it still leave an impression? Try using some 3M handglaze on it...don't put it on like a wax though...take it off while it's still wet...
Rich
 

CAMSTY

SyTy Obsessed
Re: New Paint, but Clear Scratches Easily??

silver-sy said:
I'm sorry but if you paid $4000 for a paint job and they used medium grade clear I would be pissed! If you press your finger into the paint does it still leave an impression? Try using some 3M handglaze on it...don't put it on like a wax though...take it off while it's still wet...
Rich
He's from Canada, so I'm assuming thats $4000 Canadian which is approx $3200 U.S
 
Re: New Paint, but Clear Scratches Easily??

Its CND funds. The paint does not feel soft at all, it is just seems delicate to anything that rubs against it. Its been a week and a half since they sprayed the clear. I have it in a heated garage with the temps at about 80F, was a suggestion at another site to help it cure quicker since its so cold here(below freezing). Will see what happens.
 
Top