Newbie

Arthur30

New member
Hi everyone. :D Im from England and have fell in love with Gmc Typhoons. A garage near me has 2 black Typhoons for sale and I'm begging my wife to let my buy 1. A quick question to you all, "What is the maximum boost and power the standard engine internals can take before they need to to be changed for a stronger set?" Also what is the in gear accelaration like is it as good as the 0-60mph e.g 50mph-70mph?

I've heard that there is a top speed limiter on them are you able to remove it? At the moment I drive a Rover 620ti which has a 2ltr 16v Turbo unit in it, it weights virtualy the same as the Typhoon and I've had it up to it's top speed of 146mph quite a few times and I feel that the Typhoon would come close to if not Exceed that limit unless the limiter is the actual gearing of the box?
 
Last edited:

Mtn Z

Donating Member
Re: Newbie

There are many different trucks on the board with stock bottom end running between the stock 15 and mid 20ish lbs of boost. All depends on the tune. Also, these trucks get a bad wrap for being launch only monsters. Now that may be their forte, but as far as actually passing power goes, these things have a ton of torque so they have quite a bit of reserve passing power. I was actually surprised by my trucks ability to slingshot passed traffic from 70mph to about 100. It doesn't even really need to downshift. The converter unlocks, turbo spools up and you're gone. If you get the chance to drive one that is in perfect working order, you will see what I mean. I was impressed with these before I even felt the boost launch. After the first boost launch I experienced, I bought my own.
 

socalblue

New member
Re: Newbie

These things are torque monsters I'm in love with mine...they hold their own very well, especially considering the fact that they are SUV's that are 14 years old and they can still keep up with a lot of the new sports cars out there.
 
Top